What if CN made theatrical movies for recent cartoons?

Vaporleaf

This was something I wondered about. Nickelodeon has had movies made for Rugrats, Spongebob, Hey Arnold, even The Wild Thornberries. The only cartoon I remember that CN made into a theatrical movie was The Powerpuff Girls.

So what about their other cartoons? Do you think CN could make animated films out of them? Do you think you'd like the idea if there was a 'Regular Movie' or 'Adventure Time: The Movie'?

ToonsLover

Lover of Toons
Well so far, none of CN's movies have really felt like they had theatrical quality IMO. Don't get me wrong, they're all great, but they just don't feel like something you'd see in theaters. I suppose Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix and Ben 10: Alien Swarm have come the closest to that quality.

Vaporleaf

^I'm not talking about straight-to-DVD movies or TV movies/ specials. I'm talking about movies that come to theaters... like the title says.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
This was something I wondered about. Nickelodeon has had movies made for Rugrats, Spongebob, Hey Arnold, even The Wild Thornberries. The only cartoon I remember that CN made into a theatrical movie was The Powerpuff Girls.

So what about their other cartoons? Do you think CN could make animated films out of them? Do you think you'd like the idea if there was a 'Regular Movie' or 'Adventure Time: The Movie'?

The PPG movie's lack of success greatly turned CN off from making another theatrical feature based on one of their series.

Regular Movie is catchy title but I'd say it's a bit early to even consider going theatrical with Regular Show. As hilarious as I find that show I have my doubts they could keep that up for the length of a movie.

Adventure Time is so hit or miss for me, I could potentially see it work as a theatrical film but they should probably put a few more seasons under the belt before they attempt that.

Granted, very few of those Nick shows seem like they're good material for theatrical movies but none of those shows were made into movies before they had several seasons.

Honestly, I feel the best way to handled a movie based on animated series is to make that the conclusion to the animated series. In that Regard, I'd be all for a theatrical (animated film) for Ben 10 closing out the franchise should it ever end. I'd still like to see that Samurai Jack conclusion movie but it's hard to say if that will ever come out. If they want to do a movie at the end of the run for Adventure Time or Regular Show that has potential of being worth while.

Flapjack and Chowder had pretty good conclusions but if they wanted to do another conclusion to either that might be good. I seriously doubt CN would bother with that. Likewise Megas XLR and The Secret Saturdays have no chance of getting movies but I'd be thrilled to see them get movies.

Megumi

★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
They could try and make a movie out of one of their animated properties but I, personally, doubt that most, if any, of them would be a success at the moment. Regular Show and Adventure Time are still rather new shows so I don't know whether they've gained enough popularity to be a success. Ben 10 has been around for a while and it's live-action movies have done well on Cartoon Network so I guess this would have the best shot of the shows mentioned to be successful. Star Wars has the name recognition going for it I guess so it could be a potential success as well.

I can't even name any other cartoons that air on Cartoon Network that aren't acquisitions (Unless Star Wars is an acquisition? I don''t think it is but I'm not so sure) so that's an far as I will go.

Lemanic

Well, we have THE LOONEY TUNES SHOW left, if Jessica Lynn Borutski have the balls to make 'em more furry and sassy than what the show has shown us. Maybe make the picture as a collage of shorts with "funny glue", just as in "A Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie" and the others.

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
The problem is, Cartoon Network doesn't allow their shows to last long enough to give them theatrical releases. Most shows are transient and shouldn't be expected to last longer than 2 years. They had chances to make movies out of EEnE and Samurai Jack (the former was actually in the early stages of a movie IIRC, and Samurai Jack looks to be in development hell). The failure of the PPG movie shouldn't be off-putting for 3 reasons:

1) Not every movie Cartoon Network makes is going to fail just because one did.
2) The Powerpuff Girls movie honestly...just wasn't that good. Love the show and all, but the movie really was one of the lower points of its run. Reason? I think Cartoon Network gave the movie a reaally small budget. Honestly, the movie's animation didn't seem much better than a normal TV episode, and it was rather short too.
3) The last attempt at a movie was more than a decade ago, maybe it's time to try it again.

If I was in charge of Cartoon Network, one of the first steps I would take would be to initiate a theatrical animation department; not just movies based on shows, but theatrical shorts and stand-alone theatrical films that aren't based on a show. Cartoon Network honestly thinks a bit narrow-mindedly when it comes to opportunities like this.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
The entire 'Samurai Jack' show felt like a long movie, especially the first episodes. I still remember when it premiered. It gave me goosebumps, it was amazing. That show had movie quality in my opinion. Not just because it was concepted that way.

I think Samurai Jack in cinemas would work now-a-days. They would just need to update the looks (more details, more colours, more camera angles, smoother animation) and promote it. Promote it all the way. I doubt it will happen. If I was in charge though, I would risk it.

Kiddington

tut tut
The problem is, Cartoon Network doesn't allow their shows to last long enough to give them theatrical releases.
Ben 10 is on its 3rd series, and 6th year overall. That's plenty long enough for them to make a theatrical movie.

In fact, I'm really surprised they haven't... yet. They milk that series for everything its worth, so you'd think a movie would be next to come out of their bag of tricks.

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
Ben 10 is on its 3rd series, and 6th year overall. That's plenty long enough for them to make a theatrical movie.

In fact, I'm really surprised they haven't... yet. They milk that series for everything its worth, so you'd think a movie would be next to come out of their bag of tricks.

I guess Ben 10 is the only exception; they have been patient with Ben 10, which makes it even more puzzling why they haven't decided to make a movie yet. Powerpuff Girls started in '98 and got a movie in '01. Maybe they don't think Ben 10 is popular enough yet? Maybe they don't want a PPG movie repeat, or maybe they're too cheap to fund a theatrical movie.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I can't really see a theatrical movie for Adventure Time or Regular Show. While I haven't kept up with the more recent episodes of Adventure Time, both series try to have odd settings and situations to happen to the main characters. Given the way these two series handle their settings and humors, I don't see them working that well with an hour and a half or so movie. Fifteen to thirty minutes might work better for those series, but they're also pretty new. That could change after they get another couple of seasons out on the air, but I don't see them getting theatrical releases.

The only current Cartoon Network show that I could see getting a movie in theaters is Ben 10. I'm kind of surprised they haven't tried that yet considering they're airing the third series and have made two live-action movies for the franchise. The toys obviously sell well, so the franchise must be fairly popular to kids, but maybe they're just not interested in doing something like that for the franchise or they're saving it for a series finale. I kind of wouldn't mind seeing a theatrical animated movie for Generator Rex as a finale, but I don't think that the show is popular enough and they've only aired the first season. Still, it would be kind of cool to see that, but I'd be content with seeing a made for TV or DVD movie for a finale too.

Kool345

Starting at 8/7c on ABC
When it comes to non-Cartoon Network originals, Cartoon Network could always team up with Warner Bros. to make another Scooby-Doo movie, except for theaters and animated. Or, Cartoon Network could make a new Looney Tunes or Garfield movie, if they up with Warner Bros. (Looney Tunes) and 4 Paws (Garfield). I know all of these shows are fairly knew, but the names are well known throughout a lot of kids. Scooby, Looney Tunes, and Garfield have been around forever.

But when it comes to Cartoon Network originals, I think Ben 10 would be the only one that would really work at this point. I agree, it would be nice for a Generator Rex movie, but, it's probably not popular enough right now for something like that. There really aren't enough CN originals that are popular enough for a theater movie. Most of Cartoon Network's really popular shows are acquisitions or from other companies such as Warner Bros. Adventure Time, Ben 10, and Regular Show are really the only shows that would work. And Adventure Time and Regular Show are new, and not as well known, so those two wouldn't work as well at their current stage.

Sgt.Frog

Of all their shows I could see Ben 10, Pokemon, Star Wars, Scooby Doo, and maybe Loony Toons getting a theatrical movie debut. Ben 10 being the best since it has the best ratings so far.

Kieran Pertnav

Self-confidence!
I definitely feel like more and more CN is aiming at making their comedies specifically as 11 minute shows, even full half hour episodes are becoming "events" so movies are getting kinda farther and farther away. They tried to make an hour long Chowder special, but since they were making 20 episodes instead of 13 for a season, they didn't have time in the production schedule.

That being said, I would LOVE to see a Flapjack movie. The stories on the show actually got pretty huge, like Lost at Land and Over The Moon, and it was still funny, plus they had musical numbers.

And of course, as has been said, Jack. Every episode was like a movie itself. SBT could manage a feature too.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I think the bad economy makes a venture like this impossible at this point.

For years we've heard about an animated Samurai Jack movie but it appears to be in permanent development purgatory.

Also, let's not forget they did the feature length Clone Wars movie that was released in theatres and it did NOT do that well and the reviews were terrible.

heroman

The problem is, Cartoon Network doesn't allow their shows to last long enough to give them theatrical releases. Most shows are transient and shouldn't be expected to last longer than 2 years. They had chances to make movies out of EEnE and Samurai Jack (the former was actually in the early stages of a movie IIRC, and Samurai Jack looks to be in development hell). The failure of the PPG movie shouldn't be off-putting for 3 reasons:

1) Not every movie Cartoon Network makes is going to fail just because one did.
2) The Powerpuff Girls movie honestly...just wasn't that good. Love the show and all, but the movie really was one of the lower points of its run. Reason? I think Cartoon Network gave the movie a reaally small budget. Honestly, the movie's animation didn't seem much better than a normal TV episode, and it was rather short too.
3) The last attempt at a movie was more than a decade ago, maybe it's time to try it again.

If I was in charge of Cartoon Network, one of the first steps I would take would be to initiate a theatrical animation department; not just movies based on shows, but theatrical shorts and stand-alone theatrical films that aren't based on a show. Cartoon Network honestly thinks a bit narrow-mindedly when it comes to opportunities like this.
1.actually nick hasn't done a film based on a show either have they? after rugrats and them bombed terribly they stopped .

2.Actually they gave it a great budget you might not know what i'm talking about but that was the show's design gendy didn't change it and ultimatly didn't use much of his budget.

3.Yeah but cartoonetworks going through alot of changes and adventure time has become a big success with some calling it the new spongebob i mean i hear teens on the street go mathematical so it's reached a certain ammount of popularity.I suggest wait a little bit mabey two more seasons then launch it.

And i disagree with the person that said that it's to wild because who thought a show about talking babies or a sponge could work? it did so nothings to wild heck spongebob's movie was more wild than the show.

I think the bad economy makes a venture like this impossible at this point.

For years we've heard about an animated Samurai Jack movie but it appears to be in permanent development purgatory.

Also, let's not forget they did the feature length Clone Wars movie that was released in theatres and it did NOT do that well and the reviews were terrible.
Hey i think you should know the difference between a cartoonetwork film and a warners film.Clone wars had nothing to do with cn and the show at that point wasn't even suppose to be on that chanel they were shopping it around and it was going to tnt at first.And i think you should also realize what a bomb is because you did this with the tmnt board the new film was a success making 69 million on a 8.9 million is a bomb it's really good.Not trying to be rude just letting you know the facts you've been saying things are bombs and they're not and people have kinda wondered.

Mod Edit: Please don't double post. Use the edit button instead. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts