What has happened to action cartoons???

Latest News

Will action Cartoons ever make a return ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • In a smaller size, yes.

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
Cartoon network use to have a variety of shows. Comedy blocks along with action blocks. Kids would look up to the heros of these shows. We looked up to them,our parents looked up to action heros,as well as our grandparents. Action shows have always been around. Kids buy the toys,dvds ,figures etc. I understand that the action shows aren't preforming as well but I believe that is due to neglect , death slots , and unoriginal shows. My hope is with the new Sam Jack coming to toonami it will spark interest in some networks. Also hopefully DBS airing at 8:30 right after cartoon network ends will lead to more kids watching the show. So what are your thoughts on action shows not being on the network anymore and do you think we will ever see a revival ?

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,229 36 1
Austin, Texas
It was around the time that Beware the Batman that the decline started happening for action shows. The biggest indicator to the decline was cancelling DC Nation and Ben 10 Omniverse getting bombed in 2014 that CN just gave up on action. As for now I think that If JLA does very good then maybe more action cartoons will return.

Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
It was around the time that Beware the Batman that the decline started happening for action shows. The biggest indicator to the decline was cancelling DC Nation and Ben 10 Omniverse getting bombed in 2014 that CN just gave up on action. As for now I think that If JLA does very good then maybe more action cartoons will return.
they arent really giving it the tools it needs to do well . thought I believe the first week or 2 didnt do bad.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I don't know if I'd consider Omniverse as an action series. It had action in it, but there was more focus on its comedy more than anything else. I think that the decline started a bit earlier with Sym-Bionic Titan being cancelled, but it was in full swing by the time they got rid of Beware the Batman. The fact that Cartoon Network wasn't even interested in a Batman series was a pretty bad sign. I hope that they'll try to do more action shows if JLA does well enough, but it's hard to say right now.

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,504 67 1
Belgium
Kids would look up to the heros of these shows. We looked up to them,our parents looked up to action heros,as well as our grandparents. Action shows have always been around.
My parents never watched action cartoons when they were young (My mom did watch Star Wars and The A-Team, but those aren't cartoons) and my grandparents didn't even have a tv in their childhood. I don't even know if anyone here would have been interested in action shows so close after two world wars.

Compared to that I'm quite lucky. If any new good action cartoon shows up, I'll embrace it with open arms, but until then I'll just wait patently because there isn't much else I can do :sweat:

I did send an email to Warner Bros Benelux to ask for a DVD box of Samurai Jack. Man, I'd love that.

Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
Hooe
My parents never watched action cartoons when they were young (My mom did watch Star Wars and The A-Team, but those aren't cartoons) and my grandparents didn't even have a tv in their childhood. I don't even know if anyone here would have been interested in action shows so close after two world wars.

Compared to that I'm quite lucky. If any new good action cartoon shows up, I'll embrace it with open arms, but until then I'll just wait patently because there isn't much else I can do :sweat:

I did send an email to Warner Bros Benelux to ask for a DVD box of Samurai Jack. Man, I'd love that.
hopefully one day action toons will return to there former glory. You can get Jack on DVD in 4 sets. I assume you are talking about a boxset with all the episodes? I'm not sure how the new toonami season will be released should be interesting.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I know for a FACT iff (if and only if) action shows like JLA, for a current example, were actually treated well, someone smart in CN could see they do need more of this - especially iff to really give Nick (a competition example) a much needed run for their money that could really spark a return of a balance between action and comedy and that much needed increase for variety we all deeply crave. I mean, it's working for Disney's animation output right now, right? But I don't expect some of these execs to read up on stuff they could be doing, unless they can get a profit from it.

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,504 67 1
Belgium
Hooe
hopefully one day action toons will return to there former glory. You can get Jack on DVD in 4 sets. I assume you are talking about a boxset with all the episodes? I'm not sure how the new toonami season will be released should be interesting.
I'd love to see a Region 2 box (or 4 sets, doesn't matter) with Dutch and English audio. I have already seen most of the series in English but I grew up with the Dutch version and I don't want that dub to get lost forever :(

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,650 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I feel that Justice League Action is CN's way of easing back into action cartoons. If it does well, like REALLY well from a ratings standpoint, and I mean that by saying that KIDS are into it, then action cartoons will most likely return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
I feel that Justice League Action is CN's way of easing back into action cartoons. If it does well, like REALLY well from a ratings standpoint, and I mean that by saying that KIDS are into it, then action cartoons will most likely return.
What's your definition of doing really well in terms of ratings? I feel like they don't give it enough love or advertisements to make it do well. I would guess it will get sonic boom type numbers. I think they need to try an original action show instead of rehsshing

What is doing well in your mind in terms of ratings? They don't give it enough love for it to do well. I've never seen a promo for it. I assume it will get sonic boom type ratings. They should try an original show instead of rehashing DC properties. Also freaking advertise the show

Last edited by a moderator:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
What is doing well in your mind in terms of ratings? They don't give it enough love for it to do well. I've never seen a promo for it. I assume it will get sonic boom type ratings. They should try an original show instead of rehashing DC properties. Also freaking advertise the show
I think that there was at least on promo for JLA before the special aired. Considering how many original shows they have on the lineup and how they only have one other DC show, I don't really see the problem with a new Justice League cartoon. It's still a different take on the characters and concept of the Justice League compared to previous series, so I don't see it so much like a rehash. It's not taking away resources from their original series. Despite the complaints of reboots, there are still more original shows on their lineups than reboot series, so I don't see the issue.

I do agree that they should advertise the show much more than they do. Granted, I don't know if their promotion has gotten much better, but it is a bit worrisome when the series already has a poor premiere slot, little advertising and no signs of premieres in the near future.

Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
I think that there was at least on promo for JLA before the special aired. Considering how many original shows they have on the lineup and how they only have one other DC show, I don't really see the problem with a new Justice League cartoon. It's still a different take on the characters and concept of the Justice League compared to previous series, so I don't see it so much like a rehash. It's not taking away resources from their original series. Despite the complaints of reboots, there are still more original shows on their lineups than reboot series, so I don't see the issue.

I do agree that they should advertise the show much more than they do. Granted, I don't know if their promotion has gotten much better, but it is a bit worrisome when the series already has a poor premiere slot, little advertising and no signs of premieres in the near future.
I feel like they dont want action to do well for whatever reason
The premiere on christmas eve did very good getting over a 1.0. Obviously it has potential. I would just like them to take a risk and give it a good time slot with proper promos

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2016
Ratings
381 19
A majority of action cartoons follow solid storylines. It's difficult for a majority of CN's 6-11 demographic to follow those, which is why they either throw it into the early morning hours (Justice League Action), or occasionally put it on and off the network when they feel like it (Adventure Time and Regular Show), Steven Universe is for some reason an exception at times. This is why CN is mainly greenlighting comedies and air 99% comedy shows, so kids don't have to follow tough storylines. It's most likely going to be like that for many years to come in my personal opinion. Action shows don't have the same appeal like they used to in the 90s and early to mid 2000s.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I don't think that having a storyline is the problem per say. I wouldn't say that it's hard for kids to follow the storylines. They're not usually that complicated. I think that the issue comes in from how it makes it a bit more difficult for them to them to attract new fans through their run. You can jump into a show with a continuous storyline, but you do run the risk of confusing the audience who haven't seen the series from the start or where the current storyline started at least. With comedy series, it doesn't matter if someone has seen the early episodes or not. People can jump into at any time. There's a bit more accessibility there than with some action story driven series.

Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
I don't think that having a storyline is the problem per say. I wouldn't say that it's hard for kids to follow the storylines. They're not usually that complicated. I think that the issue comes in from how it makes it a bit more difficult for them to them to attract new fans through their run. You can jump into a show with a continuous storyline, but you do run the risk of confusing the audience who haven't seen the series from the start or where the current storyline started at least. With comedy series, it doesn't matter if someone has seen the early episodes or not. People can jump into at any time. There's a bit more accessibility there than with some action story driven series.
I really don't kids are as dumb as they think they are. That's why toonami worked. Treating kids with respect and not making them feel stupid. I think a action block could work again if given enough care

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I really don't kids are as dumb as they think they are. That's why toonami worked. Treating kids with respect and not making them feel stupid. I think a action block could work again if given enough care
An action block on Cartoon Network proper would be awesome, but I don't know if we can expect that anytime soon. DC Nation had a lot of promise and that just became an excuse to air Teen Titans Go by the end.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
What @bla2772 has pointed out is why the Western market is going through such crap on TV, while the Japanese market (anime) is still booming (it's not huge, but it's there, especially thanks to online sources.). I'd like to see us Westerners compete again, if only because I'm not into anime like these kids are and know we Westerners can better ourselves by not showing comedy all the time.

Jul 17, 2011
Ratings
tr usa
An action block on Cartoon Network proper would be awesome, but I don't know if we can expect that anytime soon. DC Nation had a lot of promise and that just became an excuse to air Teen Titans Go by the end.
yeah i agree. Its sad honestly. Atleast we have adult swim and toonami

What @bla2772 has pointed out is why the Western market is going through such crap on TV, while the Japanese market (anime) is still booming (it's not huge, but it's there, especially thanks to online sources.). I'd like to see us Westerners compete again, if only because I'm not into anime like these kids are and know we Westerners can better ourselves by not showing comedy all the time.
yes exactly hopefully jack does well enough for networks and studios to take notice. I thought with toonami doing so well it would lead to a resurgence, unfortunately it hasn't. Toonami seems to be trying to bring back the action cartoon genre all by itself and im okay with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikurotoro92

Jun 17, 2015
Ratings
484 5
yeah it's easier to jump in at any time with a comedy-based cartoon then one with continuity which is why the former is in more abundance than the latter

also it's more cost-efficient to produce comedy cartoons as opposed to action cartoons because the latter requires more fancy animation

(e.g fight scenes)

combine that with the fact that people prefer comedy over action & you'll start to see the bigger picture!

Gatordragon

Will trick for treats!
May 14, 2012
Ratings
3,537 4
The Land of Flowers
One reason why action cartoons have fallen out of favor is because they just stopped being very profitable compared to more comedic cartoons. Because of this, it seems that channels such as Cartoon Network don't feel very comfortable taking a risk embracing action animation for fear of them not doing well (which of course leads to bad treatment of such shows). On the other hand, Cartoon Network embracing comedy cartoons led to quite a bit of variety on their comedic front (like the surreal fantasy of Adventure Time, the eighties-riffic Regular Show, the emotionally dramatic Steven Universe, and the cynically bombastic Amazing World of Gumball to name a few). I guess if an action cartoon (say, Justice League Action) manages to do well despite the rough treatment CN usually gives to action cartoons, it might convince CN to give it fairer treatment and/or try out more action toons.

When it comes to action cartoons, it's not just about ratings. Merchandising also plays a role as merchandise sales make up a good amount of revenue for action cartoons. Since action cartoons are quite costly, networks would rather play it safe by adapting a pre-established property than risk creating a new one that may or may not catch on (I find that unfortunate because I'm growing weary of these action cartoons adapted from pre-established properties.). Since comedy cartoons don't need to rely on merchandise sales, they're less risky, which is why we see more original comedy cartoons.

The OP talks about hoping that the upcoming Samurai Jack cartoon on Toonami will spark an interest in networks to do more action cartoons, but Toonami is targeted towards adults. I doubt an adult action cartoon doing well will convince networks to try out more children's action cartoons.

Last edited: