What happened to the Secret Saturdays?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonland
Lavenderpaw said:
so we're never seeing it again?
Signs point to no. Since Cartoon Network is generally lax about re-airing canceled shows once they've gotten the boot, it would seem that The Secret Saturdays has gone the route of Megas XLR and Class of 3000.

Jun 12, 2009
Ratings
Puerto Rico
I'm just going to copy-and-paste what I said in a previous thread asking the exact same question:

Me said:
Cartoon Network deserves a lot of blame for The Secret Saturdays' apparent lackluster ratings performance. They clearly wanted it to be their next breakout action original -- it premiered alongside the massively-hyped CGI Clone Wars -- but they didn't have the patience to realize that it needed time (and a consistent slot) to earn it's own audience instead of simply latching onto it's spillover ratings from Clone Wars.

Just look at all the ways TSS got screwed over:

1. An extended midseason hiatus from December 2008 to April 2009 which destroyed the show's momentum (as it came right before a turning point in the story arc) and pissed off many fans as well as Jay Stephens himself (on his blog).
  2. In June 2009 (amidst the turmoil of CN Real), the YAH block was temporarily dismantled and the remaining episodes of Season 1 were kicked to 7:30AM Saturdays with ZERO promotion (except for the final two episodes of the season). Many viewers lost track and stopped watching the show because they weren't willing to wake up on Saturday mornings.
  3. Didn't have it's own panel at Comic Con '09 (just about every other current and upcoming CN show did).
  4. The toyline/merchandise was released from July 2009 onwards... AFTER the show had been buried on Saturday mornings. To be fair, there were plenty of TV ads for the videogame and DVD releases, but how are audiences supposed to care if they don't know when (or if) the show itself airs?
  5. To top it all off, CN actually planned to deathslot Season 2 at 6:30AM Saturday mornings. I'm not kidding, Jay Stephens confirmed it on this board. Thankfully, CN came to their senses and moved Season 2 to 9PM Saturdays, but with ZERO promotion and ZERO reruns.
I won't deny the sad possibility that TSS simply didn't catch on with CN's target demographic. However, as you can see by reading the episode talkbacks, a whole lot of people (myself included) really liked the show, and Jay was hopeful about a third season even after CN kept mistreating the show. There's a good chance it could've done much better if CN were more consistent in scheduling and promoting it.
As far as any possibility of the show ever coming back... well, I'd love it if CN sold the property rights to The Hub, but that's just my personal pipedream.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
so we're never seeing it again?
Sadly yes. It is a shame since I thought it was a great series with likable characters and an interesting storyline. Spaceman made a good point about how The Secret Saturdays didn't really get good enough treatment to get more episodes. While the finale was a bit rushed and the last scene was pretty sad, it at least brought a sense of closure to the series. I would love for the whole series to be available on DVD, or even legally available online like on iTunes, but that probably won't happen in the near future. It would still be really cool though.

Blankments

The Sparkle Rises!
Dec 6, 2009
Indiana
The Secret Saturdays was one of my favorite cartoons ever, and even though it was canceled prematurely, it at least got a conclusion. It's one of those shows that in about fifteen years down the line, along with Avatar, I would love to show to my kids. Unfortunately, unlike Avatar, it doesn't seem to be legally available on DVD.

Oh, and Light Lucario...
or even legally available online like on iTunes
The show isn't available on iTunes? I thought for sure it was. I remember, since I missed And Your Enemies Closer, that I downloaded it from iTunes right before the series finale. When I was there, I thought I saw all the episodes available.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Oh, and Light Lucario...

The show isn't available on iTunes? I thought for sure it was. I remember, since I missed And Your Enemies Closer, that I downloaded it from iTunes right before the series finale. When I was there, I thought I saw all the episodes available.
I just doubled check and actually all of the episodes each season is available on iTunes. I never heard of the whole series being on iTunes, or I thought that the episodes were up only for a certain time. My mistake. Sorry about that. The whole series is available for purchase on iTunes, which would be the best way to get The Secret Saturdays at this point.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,362 94
Cartoon Headquarters
To me it seems that Cartoon Network doesn't care much about their OWN SHOWS which haven't become hits.

Secret Saturdays, Class of 3000, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Whatever happened to Robot Jones?, Camp Lazlo, Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Squirrel Boy, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Mike Lu and Og, Evil Con Carne, Megas XLR.

All of these shows, eventhough some of them actually were good, have simply disappeared. Where to? No idea. But they aren't on DVD (most of them anyway) and they aren't airing on Cartoon Network, nor Boomerang. So one has to ask...

Why doesn't Cartoon Network care anymore about their own shows they have created? They may not have been the best ones, nor might they have the best ratings, but they're still their own shows - their family.

:sad::shrug:

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonland
To me it seems that Cartoon Network doesn't care much about their OWN SHOWS which haven't become hits.

Secret Saturdays, Class of 3000, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Whatever happened to Robot Jones?, Camp Lazlo, Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Squirrel Boy, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Mike Lu and Og, Evil Con Carne, Megas XLR.

All of these shows, eventhough some of them actually were good, have simply disappeared. Where to? No idea. But they aren't on DVD (most of them anyway) and they aren't airing on Cartoon Network, nor Boomerang. So one has to ask...

Why doesn't Cartoon Network care anymore about their own shows they have created? They may not have been the best ones, nor might they have the best ratings, but they're still their own shows - their family.

:sad::shrug:

You're thinking like a fan. That's not how a Suit thinks. The average corporate executive doesn't think of TV shows--not even the ones they own--as family; they think of them as product, the way one thinks of Big Macs as a product. If said product under-performs, then that product is exiled to the vaults, rarely (if ever) to be heard from again. The Big Mac sold so it's the golden child, but the McRib and the McD.L.T. didn't set the world on fire, so they're ghosts which aren't even mentioned anymore. Suits only have a warm fuzzy feeling about the successful shows which make them money and earn them cushy private parking spaces.

This is why years later, CN's Big Brass still gushes over Dexter's Lab, Courage, Johnny Bravo and The Powerpuff Girls, and they still turn up in various places from time to time, but no one at CN ever talks about The Secret Saturdays, Class of 3000, Squirrel Boy, Mike, Lu & Og, or Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi.

Last edited by a moderator:

trance2009

Fun to play with not to eat
Apr 26, 2010
Ratings
Hammond, Indiana
Disney and CN have been trying to find their "Spongebob" for years, and Disney has come the closest with Phineas and Ferb. CN has been trying, as is obvious from the types of cartoons they've been showing since about the early 2000's, but they can't seem to catch fire.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonsville
animationnation.proboards20.com
Disney and CN have been trying to find their "Spongebob" for years, and Disney has come the closest with Phineas and Ferb. CN has been trying, as is obvious from the types of cartoons they've been showing since about the early 2000's, but they can't seem to catch fire.

It's a Catch 22 situation. As long as Cartoon Network continues to employ it's "gone in 60 seconds" approach (this being the act of tossing a new series into the lion's den expecting it to receive monster sized ratings immediately after it's debut and then tossing the new show to wayside if that doesn't happen) they'll never have their own SpongeBob. What CN doesn't seem to realize is that Nick's heavy hitters like SpongeBob and Rugrats didn't become hits right away; it took them years to establish a fanbase and to to grow to become mega hits. It didn't happen overnight. Rugrats, in fact, was only a moderate success for it's 1st 3 seasons; it didn't become a hit until Nick began airing the reruns of the previous seasons on weekday afternoons. CN will never have their own SpongeBob or Phineas & Ferb because the people in charge of CN lack the patience to allow a potential hit to grow and establish a fanbase.

ToonsLover

Lover of Toons
Aug 24, 2010
I'd say for CN they came the closest with Ed, Edd n Eddy or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, everyone thought Chowder had a chance, but IMO it blew it after the 1st season, although unlike a lot of people, I loved the finale.

Collie

Total Drama Llama
Jun 14, 2008
United States
If said product under-performs, then that product is exiled to the vaults, rarely (if ever) to be heard from again.
Considering that CN is a business and a business needs to make money, that's really how they should be thinking, so it's not a problem.

I loved the Secret Saturdays, and I'd love for them to put it out on a DVD set. But I can't fault them for not doing so if they don't think it would be financially viable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...