What happened to the Ruby-Spears animation studio?

Vuxovich

I don't really know what really happened to the Ruby-Spears animation studio. Everything I know about the animation studio's post-1991 life is that they did Mega Man and Skysurfer Strike Force in association with Ashi Productions and for New York City-based companies. I have heard that Turner somehow forgot to buy the entire Ruby-Spears studio except its library. My theory is that RS relocated to NYC in order to accommodate their (new) employers. Another theory by me is that RS was going to be an American subsidiary of Ashi Productions. Except that they also did the ill-fated Rumpelstiltskin movie and the dub of Mega Man: Upon a Star.
The reason why we haven't heard from RS for a long time? My theory is that the RS animation studio met its demise in 1996 due to a war over the said company's ownership. Disney, Summit Media Group of Pokémon fame, Bohbot Entertainment and Ashi Productions were involved. The Ruby-Spears animation studio's demise prompted Summit Media Group to create 4Kids Entertainment, its production arm. It has been widely believed that the RS animation studio's demise was because of poor toy sales since Bandai was their employer in their final years, but I believe that fact isn't true at all. In any case, the Ruby-Spears animation studio is associated with all things Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon Network. I would like to see a book about the complete history of the RS animation studio.

How about that?

DocForbin

Quoting from the Wikipedia article about Ruby-Spears:

"As of now, most of the original pre-1991 Ruby-Spears Enterprises library is now held by Warner Bros., through Hanna-Barbera Cartoons, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Bros. Family Entertainment. As of 2019, it is unclear where the post-1991 R-S library is held. the exception is the Mega Man series which is at least Partially owned by DHX Media."

harry580

sorry for commenting on the old theard,
i find out there is a ruby spears website and they have the cartoons that ruby spears planned:

edit:
it also explain the history of ruby spears (but no mention of the ownership by filmways and turner:

i guess ruby spears was still opened until around the mid 2000s and ruby spears was trying to make adult animated series at that time

Last edited:

Vuxovich

I found it elsewhere that Joe Ruby and Ken Spears continued to work until the former's death. Except that we haven't heard from them since the mid-1990s. It would make more sense if they both retired outright at that time. Apparently, Mega Man's creator hated the Ruby-Spears animated adaptation. So much that the Ruby-Spears company was disbanded. Not only that, but the original RS animation studio was shut down back in 1992. The RS incarnation behind the Mega Man cartoon was most likely a separate entity, a would-be American subsidiary of a Japanese animation studio. How about that? What do you think?

harry580

I found it elsewhere that Joe Ruby and Ken Spears continued to work until the former's death. Except that we haven't heard from them since the mid-1990s. It would make more sense if they both retired outright at that time. Apparently, Mega Man's creator hated the Ruby-Spears animated adaptation. So much that the Ruby-Spears company was disbanded. Not only that, but the original RS animation studio was shut down back in 1992. The RS incarnation behind the Mega Man cartoon was most likely a separate entity, a would-be American subsidiary of a Japanese animation studio. How about that? What do you think?
if ruby spears did got sold to ashi productions, they could use ruby spears to dub their anime in english (maybe jewelpets english dub?)

and also you mention back october of 2019 that other companies like disney, bohbot, and 4kids are in bid for ruby spears so here is the worst case scaniro if ruby spears was bought by these 3 companies

for disney, they can reunite with abc and disney would sell dic earlier than 2000, maybe disney can use ruby spears to produce adult animation since ruby spears has adult animated series planned before shut down or fold ruby spears into walt disney animation

bohbot would use ruby spears as their new production studo to replace the deals with dic (which bought by disney) and saban (which bought by fox though their joint venture)

as for 4kids, well it can be its production house for its shows and movies and also english dubs maybe it would rebrand as 4kids productions

Last edited:

Vuxovich

if ruby spears did got sold to ashi productions, they could use ruby spears to dub their anime in english (maybe jewelpets english dub?)

and also you mention back october of 2019 that other companies like disney, bohbot, and 4kids are in bid for ruby spears so here is the worst case scaniro if ruby spears was bought by these 3 companies

for disney, they can reunite with abc and disney would sell dic earlier than 2000, maybe disney can use ruby spears to produce adult animation since ruby spears has adult animated series planned before shut down or fold ruby spears into walt disney animation

bohbot would use ruby spears as their new production studo to replace the deals with dic (which bought by disney) and saban (which bought by fox though their joint venture)

as for 4kids, well it can be its production house for its shows and movies and also english dubs maybe it would rebrand as 4kids productions
I still, however, think that Ruby and Spears sold their original animation studio to Turner in 1991.

harry580

I still, however, think that Ruby and Spears sold their original animation studio to Turner in 1991.
i think ruby spears wanted to go edgy with action cartoons and adult animated hows from the supposed deal with jack kirby so turner heard this and split ruby spears into 2 libraries: the pre 1991 library to hanna barbera and the later works into the new ruby spears studios where ruby spears made a deal with ashi productions, but toy sales and ruby spears retired from the studio lead to ruby spears in a downfall and closed in 1996 though i think ruby spears founder has put the later ruby spears studio for sale with companies like disney, bohbot, ashi productions and 4kids bidding for the studio but disney was outbid and later bought cinergi, 4kids open up the production studio and become notorious for its one piece dub, and bkn produced series like kong and Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths & Legends and ashi productions went on to produce decent animes like jewelpets

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
After doing whatever research I could find available, here's the timeline I could best explain:

When Turner purchased Hanna-Barbera in 1991, he also acquired the Ruby-Spears library, but not the studio itself. R-S went independent after the purchase. However, the shows they produced afterward saw little to no success. The studio went defunct in 1996 and the rights to their shows were sold to various parties. Ruby and Spears themselves continued to work in TV production in limited capacity until their deaths.

The Ruby-Spears animation studio's demise prompted Summit Media Group to create 4Kids Entertainment, its production arm.

It's the other way around. 4Kids was the parent company--they created Summit Media.

harry580

maybe turner pull a mgm and split ruby spears while ruby spears got spin off into rs holdings while turner kept the pre 1991 library of ruby spears

homeofthebadguys

I wonder who owns the Skysurfer Strike Force IP now.
Last I seen of it, Invincible Entertainment has that now and has licensed it to many a streaming platform along with streaming it themselves through "Watch It! Kid" (there are several "Watch It!" websites for different niches, they're not creatively named). They seem to own and openly license all of Bohbot's back catalogue as well.

AdrenalineRush1996

Last I seen of it, Invincible Entertainment has that now and has licensed it to many a streaming platform along with streaming it themselves through "Watch It! Kid" (there are several "Watch It!" websites for different niches, they're not creatively named). They seem to own and openly license all of Bohbot's back catalogue as well.
Well, thanks for the info.

F150Dog

I'm wonder about who currently own 1983 TV shows of Alvin and the Chipmunks? It looks like Warner Bros but not too sure and why they aren't on streaming service or available to buy on iTunes, Vudu?

harry580

I'm wonder about who currently own 1983 TV shows of Alvin and the Chipmunks? It looks like Warner Bros but not too sure and why they aren't on streaming service or available to buy on iTunes, Vudu?
I think Alvin and the chipmunks 1983 was first produce by ruby spears but when Fred wolf films In 1987 and then dic entertainment from 1988-1990, and paramount distributed the series onto home video, maybe Warner Bros owns television distribution and the copyright to the series is in the chipmunks owner hands and I also wondering if ruby spears did additional animation to the chipmunks adventure

F150Dog

I think Alvin and the chipmunks 1983 was first produce by ruby spears but when Fred wolf films In 1987 and then dic entertainment from 1988-1990, and paramount distributed the series onto home video, maybe Warner Bros owns television distribution and the copyright to the series is in the chipmunks owner hands and I also wondering if ruby spears did additional animation to the chipmunks adventure
I checked and no, Ruby Spears weren't involved in Chipmunks Adventure - it is currently owned by MGM.

F150Dog

but paramount distributed the film on dvd, Warner Bros and lorminar handled the vhs rights
It looks like Bagdasarian Productions own 1983 version of Alvin and the Chipmunks and had distribution agreement with Warner Bros, eventually Paramount and Viacom (Nick channel) for reboot version.

Remind me of old Garfield TV shows - it had distribution agreement with CBS, eventually 20th Century Fox and PBS, also currently available to stream on Boomerang. Nick bought Garfield IP but they don't own 1988 version of Garfield and 9 Story Media own 1988 version.

Same issue with 1987 version of TMNT.

Vuxovich

i think ruby spears wanted to go edgy with action cartoons and adult animated hows from the supposed deal with jack kirby so turner heard this and split ruby spears into 2 libraries.
Most likely reason why Turner only bought the Ruby-Spears library was because the Ruby-Spears animation studio relocated to New York at the last minute and reorganized itself as a film-and-television production company. The likely reason why they did moved to New York was because of the change of the system in the Hollywood animation industry.

I wonder who owns the Skysurfer Strike Force IP now.
Apparently, the only notable animated show from the 2010s strongly connected with Skysurfer Strike Force is Xiaolin Chronicles. It's primarily because XC features a couple of Skysurfer Strike Force's voice actors (David Kaye and Michael Donovan). Also, XC and Skysurfer Strike Force share something in common, but... Will somebody please tell me because I wonder?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If only it was possible for companies to rethink their decision to make movies exclusive to streaming back to their initial supposed theatrican run - they'll have to look at how the situation is faring in countries and regions.

Wonder why it's impossible to screen "outdated" or "delayed" movies when the situation eases.
Changed the banner to match the upcoming anniversary better. Based on the logo switch ident featuring Bloo.
MeTV went off the air for about 15 minutes, right during one of the last Svengoolie segments up until it was time for the news (which I get in my area instead of Star Trek).
Well Bakugan was made in Canada too, so...

Featured Posts