What happened to the "Cartoon Cartoon" brand on Cartoon Network?

HunterMon17

In 1997 CN started calling their original series "Cartoon Cartoons", and would use this branding whenever these shows aired on the channel.

The first CC was the What a Cartoon! anthology series of cartoon shorts in 1995, followed by Dexter's Laboratory in 1996. 16 CCs were introduced from 1995 to 2003.

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays is the most famous block of CCs. It started in 1999 and would present the CCs new episodes, premieres, and more, with a character from each show hosting every Friday from 7:00pm to 11:00pm.

CN retired CCF and the CC brand in 2003. No CN original series has been categorized under that brand name since then, and older series are no longer referred to as CCs.

The last 2 CCs were The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, followed by Evil Con Carne, both in 2003. These 2 series came from the show Grim & Evil and were separated from each other shortly after CCF was retired.

So why did CN decide to stop using the CC brand for its original series? It would've been cool if it had become a staple brand of the network that they'll use forever, like what Nick has with it's Nicktoons brand. I also want to know why they ditched CCF, from what I've seen it was like the greatest cartoon/kids primetime block known to man. I bet I would've loved the block if it were still on when was a kid (I was born in 2002), and it'd be great to still have that block on today with newer CN original series and characters.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Cartoon Network had no original series from 1992 till early 1996, besides What a Cartoon and Cave Kids. The "Cartoon Cartoons" brand was made to reinvent Cartoon Network as a network that doesn't just air reruns of old cartoons.

In 2003, Cartoon Network was known for its original series. It didn't need the Cartoon Cartoon brand anymore.

Dr.Pepper

I never really gave it any thought. It might be that originals started to take up the majority of the schedule.

mqg96

"Cartoon Cartoon" was just a nickname for the CN originals created between 1996 and 2003 that originated from the World Premiere Toons/What A Cartoon Show or CCF Big Pick/Cartoon Cartoon Show. That wasn't the case for all tho such as Ed, Edd n Eddy or Time Squad, but most of these such as Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage The Cowardly Dog, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Codename: KND.

Many had a similar animation style too like it was from the same universe. Many of these Cartoon Cartoons had its first few seasons animated in cel with the Hanna-Barbera logo at the end credits while its later seasons were animated digitally and only had the CN studios logo after the credits.

Samurai Jack is an outlier. I believe it's the only CN original created between 1996 and 2003 that wasn't part of the Cartoon Cartoon brand name, but it's probably because it was an action cartoon and didn't fit the style.

IMO Cartoon Network is divided into 3 generations (and keep in mind I'm not talking about the bumper eras here). 1st generation Cartoon Network started with Dexter's Laboratory in 1996 which kick started the Cartoon Cartoons and was the peak of the checkerboard logo days. 2nd generation Cartoon Network started with Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends when the abbreviated logo and CN City was revealed, and IMO Chowder and Flapjack were still included in this generation despite it being part of the Noods, while 3rd generation Cartoon Network started with Adventure Time with the CHECK it style which we're still in today but with more rebooted shows now. I believe 4th generation CN is upon us as we speak.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
To answer your question: Cartoon Network decided to move away from said branding by the time they changed their logo and introduced the CN City idents.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
To be honest, I grew up with all Cartoon Cartoons besides Mike Lu % Og amd Robot Jones, but not with Cartoon Cartoon Fridays (only got CN in 2003), and it felt just as special to me.

It's really the cartoons that made the block, not the bumpers or promos or whatever.

Besides, the bumpers I got were better anyway :D They won international prizes after all.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
IMO Cartoon Network is divided into 3 generations (and keep in mind I'm not talking about the bumper eras here). 1st generation Cartoon Network started with Dexter's Laboratory in 1996 which kick started the Cartoon Cartoons and was the peak of the checkerboard logo days. 2nd generation Cartoon Network started with Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends when the abbreviated logo and CN City was revealed, and IMO Chowder and Flapjack were still included in this generation despite it being part of the Noods, while 3rd generation Cartoon Network started with Adventure Time with the CHECK it style which we're still in today but with more rebooted shows now. I believe 4th generation CN is upon us as we speak.

That's a great way to look at it. I'm still undecided if the new generation is here or if we're still finishing up the last generation...

That's a little more clear than Stuart Snyder's "every 5 years is a new era" rule.

Last edited:

mqg96

Even as a child I was aware that the newer shows didn't have the same charm of a Cartoon Cartoon.

I was only 8 in 2004, and the drastic changes of Cartoon Network and Toon Disney's style were very noticeable to me, even when I was in the peak target audience as a young kid. I had just started 3rd grade. It's amazing how when I started getting on internet forums around 12 and 13 and started noticing other opinions, everything started to make sense.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
That's a great way to look at it. I'm still undecided if the new generation is here or if we're still finishing up the last generation...

That's a little more clear than Stuart Snyder's "every 5 years is a new era" rule.
The new era will start whenever the new president (whoever he/she will be) starts picking up new pilots.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The new era will start whenever the new president (whoever he/she will be) starts picking up new pilots.

So "OK KO" or "Craig of the Creek" weren't good starting points for the new era?

Maybe Infinity Train will be the start...

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
I see Infinity Train as a return to form after years of trying to cater to a younger demographic than what they targetted earlier in the decade. Maybe this would win back the older viewers they lost and possibly kickstart a second renaissance.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel

I can suddenly understand what you mean. (It only took me a month :D ) Adventure Time, Gumball and Regular Show (the great 3) are over. So are Clarence, Uncle Grandpa and Mighty Magiswords. We Bare Bears is getting replaced. Steven Universe is clearly ending.

The only thing that's left from BEFORE 2016 is Teen Titans Go and Ninjago, two Warner Bros cartoons.

When Stuart Snyder left, his cartoons kept airing for a while, but that's pretty much over now. This is now almost fully Christina Miller's CN, even though she has left as well, I think?

I still hope that the new president (whoever it will be) will give the channel a complete overhaul. New logo, new look, new type of shows.

I just really don't like Unikitty, PPG 16, Apple & Onion, Summer Camp Island, OKKO, Total DramaRama and Bakugan (and TTG and Ninjago), so nowadays I can't turn on CN at random hours and expect to be entertained.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I can suddenly understand what you mean. (It only took me a month :D ) Adventure Time, Gumball and Regular Show (the great 3) are over. So are Clarence, Uncle Grandpa and Mighty Magiswords. We Bare Bears is getting replaced. Steven Universe is clearly ending.

The only thing that's left from BEFORE 2016 is Teen Titans Go and Ninjago, two Warner Bros cartoons.

So Gumball's finally ending...If "Adventure Time's" final episode wasn't the end of the era, the final episode of Gumball is definitely the end of the current era...or are we waiting for Steven Universe to end? (I hope not).

But using mqg96's logic for when a new era begins (the start of Dexter's Lab, the start of Foster's, the start of Adventure Time)...where's the show to launch the new era, for Cartoon Network?

I think the recent shuffling of Warner Bros./Cartoon Network management has put the Cartoon Network eras on pause...

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
mqg96's eras are not as random as you think. Foster's was the City era's first original. Adventure Time was the Check It era's first original.

1996 - Dexter's Laboratory (first logo)
2004 - Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (second logo)
2010 - Adventure Time (third logo)

You can also divide it based on presidentship:

1996 - Dexter's Laboratory (Betty Cohen's first original)
2003-2004 - Clone Wars, Megas XLR and Foster's (Jim Samples' first originals)
2010 - Adventure Time (Stuart Snyder's first original)
2016-2017 - PPG 2016, Ben 10 2016 and OKKO (Christina Miller's first originals)

(Note: I always took the first original picked up by the new president! Codename: Kids Next Door got picked up right before Samples began, The Secret Saturdays got picked up right before Stuart Snyder began and We Bare Bears right before Miller began)

I personally think both divisions make sense. (They're almost the same!) Presidents pick up certain types of cartoons. (the type they see potential in) But logo changes are also important. That's when presidents say: look, the network has changed!

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
mqg96's eras are not as random as you think. Foster's was the City era's first original. Adventure Time was the Check It era's first original.

1996 - Dexter's Laboratory (first logo)
2004 - Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (second logo)
2010 - Adventure Time (third logo)

You can also divide it based on presidentship:

1996 - Dexter's Laboratory (Betty Cohen's first original)
2003-2004 - Clone Wars, Megas XLR and Foster's (Jim Samples' first originals)
2010 - Adventure Time (Stuart Snyder's first original)
2016-2017 - PPG 2016, Ben 10 2016 and OKKO (Christina Miller's first originals)

(Note: I always took the first original picked up by the new president! Codename: Kids Next Door got picked up right before Samples began, The Secret Saturdays got picked up right before Stuart Snyder began and We Bare Bears right before Miller began)

I personally think both divisions make sense. (They're almost the same!) Presidents pick up certain types of cartoons. (the type they see potential in) But logo changes are also important. That's when presidents say: look, the network has changed!

Was Adventure Time really Snyder's first? Why...it's almost like we can't fully blame him for the Noods era (he was just getting warmed up).

I refuse to make PPG 2016 the start of an era. So..."OK KO" in 2017 it is.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel

It was. Also notice how Snyder cancelled literally all of Samples' shows in 2007-2010!

You were right last month about OKKO. I just didn't realize it that much. Miller's era always felt like a continuation of Snyder until now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts