What happened to Eric Radomski?

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
From the featurette on the B:TAS VOL1 DVD, Eric Radomski was one of the driving forces behind the original show, as much as Bruce Timm was. So how come he didn't stay on for STAS and the other DCAU shows? And from his IMDB listing, he hasn't been especially active since Spawn and Freakazoid?

For that matter, a lot of the original BTAS directors (Kevin Altieri, Frank Paur, Dick Sebast, etc) never went back to the DCAU, despite being highly regarded. Is there a reason for this?

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
Well, sometime after BTAS, if I remember right, Radomski went on to work on the Spawn animated series, which I'm sure payed well :D. I don't know much more than that, other than that most recently he worked on the first season of Striperella, but I think he bowed out after that.

I don't know much about the other directors. I've seen Frank Paur's name associated with X-Men Evo if memory serves, and maybe even Spawn for that matter. The other directors I've no idea about.

GL2k2

Savage Dragon
I'm pretty sure that a lot of those guys went to work on a lot of other different series like Gargoyles, Spawn, X-Men Evolution and others. Now that I watch BTAS it is very, very different from anything that has come from the DCAU since. From commercial breaks to characterization.

b.t.

screw on head said:
Well, sometime after BTAS, if I remember right, Radomski went on to work on the Spawn animated series, which I'm sure payed well :D. I don't know much more than that, other than that most recently he worked on the first season of Striperella, but I think he bowed out after that.

I don't know much about the other directors. I've seen Frank Paur's name associated with X-Men Evo if memory serves, and maybe even Spawn for that matter. The other directors I've no idea about.

sorry, s.o.h., but you're getting your B:TAS alumni crossed: kevin altieri produced the first season of STRIPERELLA, not eric radomski....kevin also helmed the still-unreleased GEN-13 dtv...

frank paur produced GARGOYLES, and yes, i believe he did work on XMEN:EVO, but i don't think he worked on SPAWN (i could be wrong about that, though)...

boyd kirkland produced XMEN: EVO and, of course, the BATMAN:SUB-ZERO dtv...here's a little-known fact: after B:TAS, he spent several years developing several dc properties for animation, including METAL MEN, LOBO and even WONDER WOMAN...in fact, the WW pilot was actually being animated when the powers-that-be pulled the plug...alas....

after SPAWN, eric also spent several frustrating years in development hell over at film-roman, developing properties like AUSTIN POWERS and BUFFY for animation....he's currently producing SHAOLIN SHOWDOWN for wba....

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
GMahler said:
Uhm, I don't want to correct b.t., but I'm 99.9% sure that Frank Paur worked on Spawn. Hope I didn't offend him or anyone else.

Yeah, he did work on Spawn. Directed a few episodes, I believe...

heh...I just remembered that I had a Spawn:TAS site in the works for TZ...about a year ago. I should really start working on that again...

-BB

GL2k2

Savage Dragon
b.t. said:
sorry, s.o.h., but you're getting your B:TAS alumni crossed: kevin altieri produced the first season of STRIPERELLA, not eric radomski....kevin also helmed the still-unreleased GEN-13 dtv...

frank paur produced GARGOYLES, and yes, i believe he did work on XMEN:EVO, but i don't think he worked on SPAWN (i could be wrong about that, though)...

boyd kirkland produced XMEN: EVO and, of course, the BATMAN:SUB-ZERO dtv...here's a little-known fact: after B:TAS, he spent several years developing several dc properties for animation, including METAL MEN, LOBO and even WONDER WOMAN...in fact, the WW pilot was actually being animated when the powers-that-be pulled the plug...alas....

after SPAWN, eric also spent several frustrating years in development hell over at film-roman, developing properties like AUSTIN POWERS and BUFFY for animation....he's currently producing SHAOLIN SHOWDOWN for wba....
Wow, a WW series. I didn't know that. I thought he rights were tied up, cause we never got an appearance from her on STAS. Do you think some of that animation can be dredged up as an extra for Justice League DVD's?

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Most recent news I've seen on Radomski has him partnering to launch a new media company:

Three award-winning veterans of the animation industry have joined forces to form a new media company, phuuz entertainment. Emmy Award-winning producer/director and former Executive Creative Director at Film Roman, Eric Radomski, former Vice President of Production at Warner Bros. Animation, Ken Duer, and former Vice President and General Manager for LEVEL13.NET, Jay Francis, are co-founders of this new enterprise.

According to principal Eric Radomski, "There is no escaping the essential truth that today's audience, especially the young audience, has changed ... they are a generation raised on computers, videogames, and the Internet. We are convinced that the manner and format we employ to tell our stories have to be in sync with the way the audience is requesting their content be delivered. We intend to cater to their voracious appetites for bold, arresting, and entertaining stories." To this end, phuuz will develop original properties for new media (video and computer games, wireless technologies, DVD, internet), traditional media (television, film, comic books/graphic novels), and other ancillary markets (toys, fashion, advertising, music) as well as utilize new media platforms to maximize franchising and distribution opportunities.

phuuz entertainment hits the ground running with an impressive client roster that includes Pioneer Entertainment USA, MTV, Japanese network broadcaster TV Asahi, Japanese game producer Banpresto, Korean animation company Seoul Movie, and Japanese animation company TMS, as well as a production slate of active projects including:

* Production of English adaptation of the Japanese animated series LUPIN THE THIRD for Pioneer Entertainment USA. Also, acting as an agent on behalf of Pioneer, phuuz sold the LUPIN series to Cartoon Network.

* Producing the English adaptation of LUPIN THE THIRD PlayStation game for Japan's Banpresto, a Bandai company.

* Recently completed independent film "Jorge," in association with DPS/Film Roman.

Digital Animators

b.t.

GL2k2 said:
Wow, a WW series. Do you think some of that animation can be dredged up as an extra for Justice League DVD's?

doubtful, for various reasons...i'm not sure the footage even made it to ink-and-paint and film -- I'VE never seen it -- also, just FINDING it would be difficult, and there are probably legal/rights issues involved as well...if i remember correctly, the whole thing was a major toy tie-in....it was planned as a adventure toy-line for girls...it sounded a bit like SHE-RA, with flying horses and what-not....ultimately, mattel (or kenner or whichever company was doing it) backed out when their market testing convinced them that little girls wouldn't be all that interested in the show.....

that's the gist of it anyway, but seeing as how i was apparently wrong about frank paur's involvement with SPAWN, i'm probably wrong about the WW series pilot as well....maybe boyd himself can set the record straight....

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

b.t. said:
doubtful, for various reasons...i'm not sure the footage even made it to ink-and-paint and film -- I'VE never seen it -- also, just FINDING it would be difficult, and there are probably legal/rights issues involved as well...if i remember correctly, the whole thing was a major toy tie-in....it was planned as a adventure toy-line for girls...it sounded a bit like SHE-RA, with flying horses and what-not....ultimately, mattel (or kenner or whichever company was doing it) backed out when their market testing convinced them that little girls wouldn't be all that interested in the show.....
Wait a second, this wasn't the Wonder Woman and the Star Riders show, was it? It had a tie-in to a toy line from Mattel and never made it out of the gate either as toys or as a cartoon, apparently, but the dates I see for it are normally back to 1992-3.

-- Ed/Ace

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
According to He-Man.org, it was an attempt to revitalize She-Ra by sticking Wonder Woman into it.

DarkLantern

Keeping my promise
GL2k2 said:
Wow, a WW series. I didn't know that. I thought he rights were tied up, cause we never got an appearance from her on STAS.
Securing the rights for a character to guest star is a lot different than securing the rights for a character to be a regular.

DL

Legionaire

Eat it, Grandpa
Ace the Bathound said:
Howdy,

Wait a second, this wasn't the Wonder Woman and the Star Riders show, was it? It had a tie-in to a toy line from Mattel and never made it out of the gate either as toys or as a cartoon, apparently, but the dates I see for it are normally back to 1992-3.

-- Ed/Ace
Geez, if that's really what they did, I hope the footage was burned, not just buried.

Still, it's too bad. WW is the only one of the "big three" not to get an animated treatment, or even a decent live action one.

While I'd still prefer a Flash TAS (what a great rogues gallery to animate, and super humor potential, though he'd have to give him back his vibratory/"control of molecules" abilities, to get out of all the scrapes he'd get into), I'd definitely welcome a Wonder Woman show.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah, I think they had a free give-away mini-comic in cereal of Wonder Women and the Star Riders. It was cute. I'm sure little girls would have loved it.

Boyd Kirkland

b.t. said:

that's the gist of it anyway, but seeing as how i was apparently wrong about frank paur's involvement with SPAWN, i'm probably wrong about the WW series pilot as well....maybe boyd himself can set the record straight....

This was "Wonder Woman and the StarRiders" based on a toyline planned by Mattel. The half-hour program was to be packaged as a video and sold with the toys. The animation was nearly finished, but Mattel pulled the plug before any cels were painted, so none of it exists on film, except for a short promotional piece that I had animated in LA. All of the original artwork was shipped back from Japan, and the last I saw of it, it was in Warner's warehouse.

Afterwards, Jean MacCurdy asked me to develop Wonder Woman as a series, keeping it closer to the comic book roots than the "StarRiders" show, which I did. In addition to creating promotional art, I wrote a feature length treatment for the pilot, as well as outlined the series format and story arcs. It was pitched at least three times, that I know of, to Kids' WB, but they always turned it down due to a lack of faith in the idea of a female lead carrying a kids' action show. Young boys, it was believed, wouldn't be interested, and young girls don't watch action shows. I think they were wrong on both counts, if the material is handled right, but hey - maybe that's why I'm not running a network!

The Detective

Man......this Wonder Woman series/DTV or wh whatever is was is sounding scary......gives me some renewed respect for Justice League. Of course there's not doubt that it was never meant as a promo toy tie in......I mean just look at Mattell's line. :p

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Boyd Kirkland said:
It was pitched at least three times, that I know of, to Kids' WB, but they always turned it down due to a lack of faith in the idea of a female lead carrying a kids' action show. Young boys, it was believed, wouldn't be interested, and young girls don't watch action shows. I think they were wrong on both counts, if the material is handled right, but hey - maybe that's why I'm not running a network!

Is there any chance it could be pitched to Cartoon Network now that they seem to be very interested in superheroes these days?

maxnugget

Avenger of evil and ignorance
Boyd Kirkland said:
It was pitched at least three times, that I know of, to Kids' WB, but they always turned it down due to a lack of faith in the idea of a female lead carrying a kids' action show. Young boys, it was believed, wouldn't be interested, and young girls don't watch action shows. I think they were wrong on both counts, if the material is handled right, but hey - maybe that's why I'm not running a network!

Thanks for clarifying.

One would think that having a good-looking female lead, and in a SUPERHERO ACTION show, would be a best-of-both-worlds scenario for young boys (girls + superheroes + action/fighting). But then again, "young boys" are perhaps still at that stage in their life where they think girls are "gross." Well, there's that, and the embarrassment of your friends/enemies at school knowing you watch a Wonder Woman show. :eek:

Doomsday

Superman`s Killer
maxnugget said:
Thanks for clarifying.

One would think that having a good-looking female lead, and in a SUPERHERO ACTION show, would be a best-of-both-worlds scenario for young boys (girls + superheroes + action/fighting). But then again, "young boys" are perhaps still at that stage in their life where they think girls are "gross." Well, there's that, and the embarrassment of your friends/enemies at school knowing you watch a Wonder Woman show. :eek:
I think it can be as long as it has a lot of action. Look at the powerpuff girls, the main characters are 3 girls. So the show can be done if it is done right. Anyways I never thought girls were icky, but some little boys do think like that, and that can really hurt the show but I think it can be done. And something thats really helping is how Wonderwomen is on JL/JLU, so little kids will see that and think Wonderwomen is what the cool kids are watching.....:rolleyes:

GL2k2

Savage Dragon
Well, thanks for the responses b.t. and Boyd Kirkland. I still can't believe they wanted to go that route with Wonder Woman. I mean, she did have her own series only a couple of decades before. Obscure movie icons is one thing (Swamp Thing), but television icons never really go away, someone always remembers. Though that could go in both the bad direction and the good depending on reviews of the show. But enough time had passed on WW that it was kitsch and not completely corny, personally, I think if done right, a WW series could have worked. On television back then Xena came along and then there were other kick butt chicks like Tomb Raider coming out, it was only a matter of time for the most famous heroine to have her shot. But it never happened. A shame.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts