What are your thoughts on PBS Kids?

HunterMon17

For those of you outside the United States and Canada, PBS Kids is the lineup of children's shows that airs on PBS, a public television network similar to the BBC.

It's actual showtimes vary depending on your local station, for instance mine used to air it from 3:00/4:00am to 6:00pm on weekdays and from 3:00/4:00am to 12:00pm on weekends when I was a kid.

There are no commercials on PBS Kids. Shows are never interrupted, and funding comes from government and private grants and donations. Sponsors are announced at the beginning and end of each show, but aren't allowed to really advertise anything.

PBS has aired live action children's shows since 1968, when it was still known as NET prior to changing its name in 1970. In 1994, they organized their children's lineup into a block called PTV Park and started airing animated shows. In 1999, the block changed into the current PBS Kids.

There doesn't seem to be much of a fandom for PBS Kids on the internet. Especially compared to Nickelodeon, Disney, or Cartoon Network. What are your thoughts and opinions on PBS Kids?

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I watched PBS Kids when I was younger. Magic School Bus was my obsession as an early elementary schooler. I have fond memories of watching Bill Nye with my dad, because for some reason my local PBS affiliate played it at 7pm. I also liked Arthur quite a bit as a kid.

I think the reason why you don’t hear much of a fandom because most of the shows are for a younger audience.

HunterMon17

I watched PBS Kids when I was younger. Magic School Bus was my obsession as an early elementary schooler. I have fond memories of watching Bill Nye with my dad, because for some reason my local PBS affiliate played it at 7pm. I also liked Arthur quite a bit as a kid.

I think the reason why you don’t hear much of a fandom because most of the shows are for a younger audience.
PBS recommends their stations to air their lineup of kids shows from 6:00am to 7:00pm.

Some start as early as 3:00am or 4:00am, some end as late as 8:00pm.

Dr.Pepper

PBS recommends their stations to air their lineup of kids shows from 6:00am to 7:00pm.

Some start as early as 3:00am or 4:00am, some end as late as 8:00pm.
I didn’t know that. Bill Nye was the only kid show I remember being on later than 4:00 or 5:00.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
I liked the idea of PBS KIds Go! Having a block for older kids was smart.

Some of the shows were good , some of them were favorites when I was young others not really. I grew up at first we had 3 PBS stations then 2 of them merged. So there were 3 then 2 blocks to chose from, I liked the PBS kids Go line up of Fetch! , Arthur, Postcards from Buster, Word Girl , and Maya and Miguel.( After the first, year, M&M was a show I could only see in summer since our station opted out of the main feed ,after the merger to have a local Homework show)

I always had cable so, they were kind of just another thing in the rotation. .

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
There doesn't seem to be much of a fandom for PBS Kids on the internet. Especially compared to Nickelodeon, Disney, or Cartoon Network. What are your thoughts and opinions on PBS Kids?

There's a reasonable explanation for this theory.

There are a lot of children out there (many of whom are as young as early elementary school age) who generally pigeonhole PBS as a network for preschool shows such as Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers (RIP) and Barney--shows which they have long since outgrown.

However, after watching some of the newer PBS shows alongside my younger relatives I can attest that this is not true--there are also plenty of shows for school-age kids that have aired on PBS over the years, namely Kratt's Kreatures, Wishbone, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and of course, Arthur.

This reminds me that the Arthur episode "Arthur Meets Mr. Rogers" addresses this stigma--Arthur was embarrassed by having Mr. Rogers as a guest speaker at his school because most of his peers have outgrown the show.

Of course, in my time, there were only 6 major shows on PBS--Reading Rainbow, Barney, Lamb Chop's Playalong, Shining Time Station, Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street.

HunterMon17

There's a reasonable explanation for this theory.

There are a lot of children out there (many of whom are as young as early elementary school age) who generally pigeonhole PBS as a network for preschool shows such as Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers (RIP) and Barney--shows which they have long since outgrown.

However, after watching some of the newer PBS shows alongside my younger relatives I can attest that this is not true--there are also plenty of shows for school-age kids that have aired on PBS over the years, namely Kratt's Kreatures, Wishbone, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and of course, Arthur.

This reminds me that the Arthur episode "Arthur Meets Mr. Rogers" addresses this stigma--Arthur was embarrassed by having Mr. Rogers as a guest speaker at his school because most of his peers have outgrown the show.

Of course, in my time, there were only 6 major shows on PBS--Reading Rainbow, Barney, Lamb Chop's Playalong, Shining Time Station, Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street.
Right around the time those shows were airing, PBS had already expanded their children's lineup into a full-fledged brand known as PTV Park that aired for like 13 hours a day.

I agree that PBS Kids being for babies hasn't been true ever. Cyberchase, Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman, Zoom, Electric Company, and Arthur prove that.

dumbfoolkid5

I see the cartoons on PBS uses flash animation if it's called that. But I wish there was a cartoon PBS would show that depicts life in Japan as a series.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Ready for Halloween!
We have Kim Possible and Flame Princess making bacon pancakes (I assume this was filmed long before quarantine).

Who wants to bet when Oaxis launches, it'll just be the Noog Network with family-friendly public domain content added in?
CNC
How come every time I try to associate with a social media account on my profile, I'm getting an error message?

To everyone reading this: You're one in a million. In other words, you're special.