What Are You Listening To? (9th Album)

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Today is Herbie Hancock's 81st birthday. Listening right now to Fat Albert Rotunda, his first album for Warner Bros. Records, as part of Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings.

And yes, Hancock worked on the first Fat Albert cartoon back in 1969.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Dance, Dance, Dance & Other Hits by Chic. "Le Freak", naturally, is starting things out.

Trivia: Luther Vandross, who would have been 70 today, contributed backing vocals for this group prior to his solo career.

Low Spark of Lyman

Family Reunion by Lou Rawls, originally released in 1987, at a time when he was working on those Garfield television specials on CBS. As the title suggests, he reunited with songwriters Gamble and Huff, who provided many of thePhilly soul songs he did in the 1970s.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Been listening to a lot of post punk lately. Particularly Black Midi, Squid, and Black Country, New Road.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
the El Nino Worldwide Reggae Concert from September 8, 1998. it’s a RRREEEAAALLLYYY obscure, underrated album that I have an interesting story for how I found it.

about 2ish years ago I tried to play Willy Paul on my Alexa, but it misheard me and played Willie Paul (or as the youtube auto-upload calls it, Wille & Paul; but i think it’s just one person), specifically their only song (form what i can recall), Looking Kind of Lonely.

Interestingly, I wasn’t able to find the youtube playlist for the album for a least a year after that, likely cause i was only searching for the artist, and not the album (and lemme tell you, more than half the artists here are straight up one-wonder without the hit).

It reminds of another album I like (Buy Out Riddim, in which every song uses the same instrumental), if said album used different instrumentals but kept a similar vibe and feeling inbetween them.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This Eminem song was a hit here when I was 4 years old. Until now, I didn't realize this was sung by Eminem.
(This is a censored version but you can find the unedited version on YouTube)
I remember listening to this in the car from/to kindergarten : p

Low Spark of Lyman

The Best of Diana Ross and The Supremes: 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection

Most of the songs were co-written by the late Lamont Dozier. Likewise planning to listen to The Four Tops later.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
The way I listen to music leans towards listening to the same couple of songs on loop until I get tired of them, so here's what it is now:

My god, this video is an experience. And I'm not just talking about Troye in drag either.

I'm not really sold on Ice Spice but Nicki has not missed once.

Because I just recently watched Encanto, though I'd heard this before. In fact, there was such a drought of new music in 2021 that normal adult radio stations were playing it next to "drivers license" and what have you.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Snow Day by Bleu/Williams James McAuley III from 1999's A Big Bang Holidang

interestingly theres no official video for it, but a few youtube uploads set to people playing in the snow
the instrumental gives me strong Presidents of the United States of America vibes

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I wish she had better taste in men but I do emphasize with the "Why do you care so much whose ... I ride?"

Somewhat related:

Shiloh Otter

it's Jun time!
P!nk - Try

I've gotten really into P!nk over the last couple of years. Honestly, I think she's very underrated.

khuddle

Lately, a lot of New Wave stuff from the 1980s. Duran Duran, the Smiths, Depeche Mode, the Cars. John Taylor from Duran Duran was a hell of a bassist.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts