What are the "hot items" in anime merch (or comics, or games, or toys) right now?

Latest News & Videos

Ben

Wise Fool
Nov 26, 2001
New York
I heading to Osaka next week to pick up anime merchandise for resale in the States, and I was wondering-- what's "cool" with the "hep cats" nowadays? What should I pick up that you think people would want? I don't usually follow merchandise very much because I haven't really had discretionary spending money in a while.

I'm doing research on this other places (eBay, AnimeNation, etc.) but since there are some people here who follow this sort of thing I thought I'd ask for help.

Weatherman

Space...not what it used to be
Staff member
Reporter
Nov 19, 2001
Maryland
Hats, plushies, Dollfies, anything J-music related....yaoi/yuri paddles...:eek:

Dollfies especially.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
Women seem to adore Haro

Riza Hawkeye

Jun 11, 2004
Central City
If you can find an One Piece: Portrait of Pirates figures (especially Zoro and Sanji) for around 4500 yen, you can go on Ebay and sell them and make your money back at least 3 times over (more likely 4 times over).

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Feb 4, 2002
Baltimore, MD
www.livejournal.com
Anything Shonen Jump is probably going to net you some cash. Naruto itself is huge, and anything Japanese One Piece will probably get cash just so fanboys can spite 4Kids.

Tash

Jul 19, 2002
N/A
Visit site
Duke said:
Anything Shonen Jump is probably going to net you some cash. Naruto itself is huge, and anything Japanese One Piece will probably get cash just so fanboys can spite 4Kids.
One Piece: yes.

Naruto: I'd be a bit carful here. These days, imported Naruto goods arn't too hard to find. (I've seen them at meijer 0_0) Some items won't fetch as much because they're easier to get.

If you want real money, hard down to a Japanese pawn shop and stock up on Playstation games. They're dirt cheap, and the popular ones can go for 50-100 dollars, used.

Mog

-_-
Mar 4, 2003
Kingsville, Missouri
If I had to choose, I'd go with Gashapon figures.

In case you need an idea of what I'm talking about, here's an example.
Bleach Gashpon
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-93-49-en-70-16tq.html
and
Naruto Gashapon
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-93-49-en-70-1e6y.html

They're small, one inch usually, but because of the fantastic detail and limited supply they always sell out. Also, online retailers sell them at random most of the time, so it'd be a great draw if you could actually pick the one you like in a store.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Nov 26, 2001
Castle Wyvern, Missouri
toonamiinfolink.com
I dunno if this is as much of a sure thing, but Zatch Bell is one of the hottest anime series on television right now (generally #2 on Toonami behind Naruto and it now has a seemingly successful weekday run) and yet other than the card game there isn't really any merchandise on the market yet. There could be some untapped potential there.

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
Mar 1, 2002
Out There
Visit site
Get some anime production cels. There are a ton of dealers online from Japan who sell them and a ton more who don't have any stores online. You'd have a better chance getting some rare shots or characters from certain shows from the source than online. You'd be shocked how much someone who pay just for a head shot of a character that appears 1,000,000 times in one show like Nadesico, Trigun, or Inuyasha.

Tash

Jul 19, 2002
N/A
Visit site
William C. Maune said:
I dunno if this is as much of a sure thing, but Zatch Bell is one of the hottest anime series on television right now (generally #2 on Toonami behind Naruto and it now has a seemingly successful weekday run) and yet other than the card game there isn't really any merchandise on the market yet. There could be some untapped potential there.
There ARE toys out now. (I own a stuffed Zatch) Most of the Japanese Zatch merchindise is a little... underwhelming, anyway.