What 1980's music stars could have had a cartoon show?

zoombie

Thanks to MTV, music stars were larger than life stars, arguably bigger than they ever been. At least from the a marketing stand point.

What stars of that era could you imagine have had a Saturday Morning cartoon show for kids. I mean later we had MC Hammer and New Kids On The Block have their own shows.

First one that comes to me is Cyndi Lauper. She was very popular, I don't think parents had a problem with her, so she was kind of kiddie friendly. It could have worked, and not hurt her brand. I don't what the premise could be, maybe a prequel series, or maybe just her going on adventures in her own wacky world.

The ultimate one would be have a Michael Jackson cartoon, I doubt Michael himself would be involved, outside of maybe doing some live action intros and outros like Mr T, but probably someone else voicing him. The plot would involve Bubbles as a talking chimp sidekick, and like the Moonwalker have kids be the supporting cast.

As for others I don't know, I could never imagine Prince having a cartoon show, he is popular, but his music was geared towards adults, Madonna I don't know maybe. She was a teen idol, her early music was for all ages. Though I can't imagine what the plot would be. Maybe a cartoon based on Desperately Seeking Susan perhaps. I always thought that could have a been a possible TV series spinoff, though as a live action series, but a cartoon?

ShadowBlinky

New Edition. I believe they were seen as another Jackson 5, who had a cartoon. Also one of them had an exceptionally high singing voice that could pass as cartoony.

hobbyfan

Zero. It is really quick exploitation for even quicker money.

Also, what do the NKOTB, Hammer, & Kid 'n' Play have in common? All of their cartoons BOMBED!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Thanks to MTV, music stars were larger than life stars, arguably bigger than they ever been. At least from the a marketing stand point.

What stars of that era could you imagine have had a Saturday Morning cartoon show for kids. I mean later we had MC Hammer and New Kids On The Block have their own shows.

First one that comes to me is Cyndi Lauper. She was very popular, I don't think parents had a problem with her, so she was kind of kiddie friendly. It could have worked, and not hurt her brand. I don't what the premise could be, maybe a prequel series, or maybe just her going on adventures in her own wacky world.

The ultimate one would be have a Michael Jackson cartoon, I doubt Michael himself would be involved, outside of maybe doing some live action intros and outros like Mr T, but probably someone else voicing him. The plot would involve Bubbles as a talking chimp sidekick, and like the Moonwalker have kids be the supporting cast.

As for others I don't know, I could never imagine Prince having a cartoon show, he is popular, but his music was geared towards adults, Madonna I don't know maybe. She was a teen idol, her early music was for all ages. Though I can't imagine what the plot would be. Maybe a cartoon based on Desperately Seeking Susan perhaps. I always thought that could have a been a possible TV series spinoff, though as a live action series, but a cartoon?
There WAS a Michael Jackson cartoon: The Jackson 5ive.

Zorak Masaki

Their music was mostly aimed at teens, but Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot both had kind of cartoonish images, maybe a comedy cartoon based off of them?

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Speaking of Michael Jackson, Mark Evanier was considered for a television series about him in 1987, which ultimately didn't get made, and with Jackson himself not wanting to actually star in it. This was shortly before M.E. went on to Garfield and Friends, a move he has not regretted.

More here: News From ME - Mark Evanier's blog

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Zero. It is really quick exploitation for even quicker money.

Also, what do the NKOTB, Hammer, & Kid 'n' Play have in common? All of their cartoons BOMBED!
An animated series based on pop stars isn't always a bad idea. Heck, I liked Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, even if that show didn't result in the J-pop duo scoring hits in the US.

If you think about it, I think Kiss could've had their own animated show in the Eighties, as there were plans for such back in the late Nineties for Fox Kids (before it was scrapped when Haim Saban apparently insulted Gene Simmons in Hebrew) and again in the mid 2010s for the Hub Network, as it was going to be a crossover with Hello Kitty (not even making this up at all). The closest we've had to such was My Dad the Rockstar (which Simmons produced) and when the band did a crossover film with Scooby-Doo titled Scooby-Doo! and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery (a sorta-sequel to Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park) not long ago.

Last edited:

hobbyfan

I knew about My Dad The Rock Star (which aired in the US on Nickelodeon), and the aborted pilots.

What they were looking for was something along the lines of how The Beatles were able to license themselves for a Saturday morning cartoon, which lasted three years, tops, on ABC, in the mid-60's, but not quite going on exotic adventures, a la the comic book rockers, Josie & The Pussycats. Much harder to do in a more modern era, but KISS did have the right look for a goth-metal style cartoon, if that was the direction they wanted.

stephane dumas

Yeah but The Jackson 5five was more 1970s then 1980s althought some stations aired the reruns in the 1980s.

Now, I have eerie and cool memories of TV Funhouse's Black Sabbath cartoon. Just imagine what if Black Sabbath really got a comedy cartoon? Another band of the 1980s Van Halen might be a candidate for a comedy cartoon.

1583857345609.jpeg

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I wouldn't consider Kiss a goth-metal band. They're more of a glam/shock-influenced arena rock/pop metal band in my opinion.
Yeah, there's really nothing goth about KISS. The entire Goth movement seems to be focused on subdued and dreary clothing and attitudes. That's not KISS. Not by a longshot.

I'm not saying Goth wardrobes aren't weird and out there. They are. But they are designed to evoke feelings of sadness and apathy. That's not Detroit Rock City.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I once thought up the idea of Men At Work having had a 1980s Saturday morning cartoon, where they'd travel the world with Didgeridoo, their pet kangaroo, but again, if was just a funny,fleeting thought.

hobbyfan

That was all the way back in 1971, and MJ and his bros didn't voice their animated selves. The music was used, but other actors were brought in for speaking parts, to work with the omnipresent Paul Frees.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That was all the way back in 1971, and MJ and his bros didn't voice their animated selves. The music was used, but other actors were brought in for speaking parts, to work with the omnipresent Paul Frees.
Musicians never voice themselves in animated cartoons. Except for Weird Al. Because Weird Al is awesome.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts