Were the 2000s Nicktoons treated badly?

Latest News & Videos

moose_tracks12

Feb 24, 2016
Taking a look back to the mid to late 2000s, Nickelodeon seemed pretty hectic with it's nicktoons. By that I mean I noticed that certain nicktoons had either low episode counts, short runs, and/or eventual burnoffs, but some of them were still great shows in my opinion. Here are some examples:

-As Told By Ginger: Airing primarily Sunday nights in the TEENick block, the series had 60 full episodes, with the final Nickelodeon premiere in July 2004. With 2 episodes premiering on Nicktoons Network in November 2004 and November 2006. Then eventually 4 unaired episodes premiering most recently after a 12 year wait on TeenNick's The Splat in October 2016 at 11pm. The show still has the unaired "Battle of the Bands" episode, and the unaired finale movie "The Wedding Frame" (Only on DVD).
-Invader Zim: Considered by many as Nickelodeon's greatest nicktoon of all time, the show only had 27 full episodes, eventually being cancelled in 2002 due to low ratings, and having to wait almost 4 years to premiere the final 6 episodes, which were thrown to Nicktoons Network, ending in August 2006.
-ChalkZone: 40 full episodes, the final 6 of which were burned off early Sunday mornings from June to August 2008.
-My Life as a Teenage Robot: 40 full episodes, the final 13 (Season 3) of which were tossed to Nicktoons Network Saturdays in October 2008.
-All Grown Up: Very successful in ratings during first 3 seasons with and a overall total of 55 full episodes, 15 of which were burned off early mornings during Superstuffed Nicktoons Weekend in Thanksgiving 2007, and 3 which were burned off Sunday mornings in August 2008.
-Catscratch: Only 20 full episodes, with the final episode Spindango Fundulation randomly burned off on a Saturday evening at 6pm in February 2007 (Oddly with promotion though).
-The X's: Only 20 full episodes, lasting only 1 season from November 2005 to December 2006.
-Mr. Meaty: Only 20 full episodes, the final 7 (Season 2) of which were tossed to Nicktoons Network Saturdays in December 2008.
-El Tigre: Only 26 full episodes, the final 9 of which were moved to weekday mornings at 6:30a from June to September 2008.
-Tak and the Power of Juju: Only 26 episodes, the TV movie Destiny Schmestiny of which was death slotted to Saturday November 15th at 1pm, and many of the final episodes were burned off to early Saturday mornings at 7:30a until January 2009.

Now these are just a chunk of the mid to late 2000s nicktoons that either had short runs, short episode numbers, and/or eventual burnoffs to early mornings or to Nicktoons Network. The reason for this article is to let people in on the specific shows that didn't have the most perfect runs, regardless of good time slots or good number of episodes. I could have mentioned shows such as Back at the Barnyard, Mighty B, Penguins, etc., although those were nicktoons that made their way into the 2010s with premieres, so they technically don't count.

The only 2000s nicktoons that I can think of that had great runs on Nickelodeon are Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, and Avatar. Jimmy Neutron with 61 full episodes and the two final episodes airing on Nicksgiving Weekend in 2006, Danny Phantom with 53 full episodes and the TV movie "Phantom Planet" airing in August 2007 following a week of premieres. Avatar with a total of 61 full episodes and the final 2-hour movie "Sozin's Comet" airing in July 2008 following a week of premieres as well.

What do you guys think? Did Nickelodeon have a huge problem with its nicktoons back in the 2000s? Can you compare it to their recent treatment of Harvey Beaks, Fairly OddParents, TMNT, and among others during this time in 2017?

Plus let me know what your favorite 2000s nicktoon is! Even if it's one I didn't mention!

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
I honestly didn't like any 2010's Nicktoon except Avatar and Kappa Micky (if that even counts as a Nicktoon). I can totally understand why Nickelodeon was overrelying on SpongeBob. All shows you mentioned were pretty forgettable and boring to me.

Reactions: jaylop97

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
I thought Invader Zim was cancelled because it too "graphic" and trouble between the creator and Nickelodeon?
MLAATR,AGU,and El Tigre weren't really treated so badly since I remember them getting plenty of time slots. All Grown Up even got three TV-movies, though it could've gotten at least one more season fore ending, and El Tigre probably should've gotten another season as well.

Catscratch I agree should've been given a better chance.
Mr.Meaty was just horrendous. I'd compare it to Allen Gregory on the same level of horrible. What was Nickelodeon even thinking when they approved of that show?

The only 2000s nicktoons that I can think of that had great runs on Nickelodeon are Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, and Avatar. Jimmy Neutron with 61 full episodes and the two final episodes airing on Nicksgiving Weekend in 2006, Danny Phantom with 53 full episodes and the TV movie "Phantom Planet" airing in August 2007 following a week of premieres. Avatar with a total of 61 full episodes and the final 2-hour movie "Sozin's Comet" airing in July 2008 following a week of premieres as well.
Before it started to decay The Fairly OddParents had a great run during the early 2000s as well.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
In today's standards the trend continues, and for the most part they have stopped the early morning bombs and are now doing Nicktoon airings to finish. As of right now the only cartoon to have finished its run on Nick is Sanjay and Craig for this decade, I could be wrong but to my knowledge that is about it. The Loud House might be the next one but only time will tell if it goes on to the next decade, things get ugly and then it goes to Nicktoons or it just finishes on Nick as well.

Looney Turtles

May 11, 2014
s15.zetaboards.com
I just watched through every ChalkZone episode a couple months, and I do think that show could have at least had one more season. Also, ChalkZone just might be my favorite of the 2000's Nicktoons.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
Jun 17, 2015
-ChalkZone: 40 full episodes, the final 6 of which were burned off early Sunday mornings from June to August 2008.

-Catscratch: Only 20 full episodes, with the final episode Spindango Fundulation randomly burned off on a Saturday evening at 6pm in February 2007.
i think both catscratch & chalkzone had a LOT of potential

(especially the latter since it was poised to become nick's next big nicktoon...)

it's a shame they didn't do well!

Did Nickelodeon have a huge problem with its nicktoons back in the 2000s?
absolutely!

Can you compare it to their recent treatment of Harvey Beaks, Fairly OddParents, TMNT, and among others during this time in 2017?
yeah

it's like history is repeating itself

(unfortunately karma is a you-know-what which WILL come back to bite them!)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

According to zap2it, it appears all Nick channels on Sat Jul 25 will air Christmas episodes/specials
And the winner of this matchup is "Crossover Nexus", which got 5 votes. "The Power Is Yours" got 1 vote. The next matchup is between "Monster Party" and "Let's Meet Sonic".

So, I'm not sure where I should mention, but I want to talk about it. I was trying to update episode 2 of TOTS and episode 17 of The Rocketeer with Tara Strong and Steve Blum's respective credits (Tara as The Adorable Meter and Precious's Mother and Steve as Ivan The Strongman and the Ringmaster), but they're never accepted. What should I do?
Me:sees treehouse with Paper Mario
Me(again):eek:oohh, I wonder whats gonna happen..
Sees game reveal
Me: this is... A bakugan game!? Based on Battle Planet!? How...how..
My emotion of rage:Pls,do not put toxic Bakugan comments,or banning me,its just my opinion.
I like Bakugan,but only Battle Brawlers continuity,and i don't like Battle Planet insead.
And the winner of this matchup is "Heroes United", which got 4 votes. "TGIS" got 1 vote. The next 2 matchups are the 4 main crossovers for OK KO, which are split into 2 parts. The first half covers "The Power Is Yours" and "Crossover Nexus".