Were 2000s Cartoon Network originals treated badly?

5YearsOnEastCoast

I decided to make this blog to celebrate my 400th post here. I have noticed how some people complained about how certain CN shows were treated in recent years (like Ok KO and Mighty Magiswords), but did CN originals had it better in 2000s? I'm going to look at CN's originals shows that premiered in 2000s, so I won't be counting shows that continued into 2000s (like Ed, Edd & Eddy or PowerPuff Girls), or non original CN shows like Teen Titans or 6teen. This blog was inspired by @moose_tracks12 when he made a blog on "Were 2000s Nicktoons treated badly?" I will be looking at all CN originals from 2000s which had low episode count, short runs and/or eventual burn offs. Some shows here are really good. Correct me if I made a mistake somewhere. Here are the examples:

1. Sheep in the Big City- It only had 2 seasons and 26 episodes. It's first 7 episodes aired regulary on Fridays, but the remaining episodes aired at 4PM on Sundays. It's second season aired late into 2001/early 2002. It's last reruns were in 2002. It was supposed to have a third season, but it didn't happen due to Codename Kids Next Door.
2. Time Squad- Like Sheep in the Big City, it only had 2 seasons and 26 episodes. It did have high ratings, but it didn't stop it to get cancelled. It was given a hiatuses and it's final episodes aired early in mornings. It is apparently cancelled due to corporate shuffle.
3. Samurai Jack- It was treated pretty well at the beginning. It's creator did wanted to end the show after 52 episodes after having a burn out and left in hanging back then. CN burned off it's last 4 episodes in 1 day 10 months after the previous SJ episode aired. However it was renewed for final season on Adult Swim with it's original creator back on board.
4. Whatever happened to.. Robot Jones? -Have you ever wonder whatever happened to Robot Jones? It was the shortest lived CN original until Robotomy, having only 13 episodes. It's "2nd season" was airing new episodes at 10:30 PM on Sundays, and only reruns were shown at 4:00 PM on Sundays. They also changed robotic voice of Robot Jones to be voiced by a child. Oh yeah it's "2nd season" aired a little over a year after "season 1" ended. And Then CN virtually almost never mentioned it.
5. Evil Con Carne- It was spin off from Grim & Evil, but it only had 13 half hour episodes. It's creator wanted to focus on Grim Adventures on Billy and Mandy than Evil Con Carne, but ECC was still not treated good. It's "2nd season" aired 14 months after the last episode aired.
6. Megas XLR -It did have good ratings, but it only had 2 seasons and 26 episodes and it aired new episodes for 8 months. I'm not sure why it got cancelled. Maybe it got cancelled by the new CEO because he "didn't understand it" or because the budget was too big and even those ratings could sustain it. They written off this show not long after.
7. HiHi Puffy AmiYumi- It was treated very good at the beginning, even appearing at Marcy's Thanksgiving parade, but during it's 3rd season it started to be treated badly by CN. I'm not sure why this got the can, maybe due to some licensing. 5 episodes of the show never even aired in USA. And it was never show on CN past 2006. Most other shows during that time were shown past the year they ended, but not with this show.
8. The Life and Times of Juniper Lee - CN, dropped all of it's advertising in season 2, even though it was premiering on Fridays, it was shuffled around the schedule and barely given reruns. Last 2 episodes didn't even premiere on TV, but on CN Video. Some people didn't even know that it had more than 1 season (like me until I looked up on Wikipedia).
9. Squirrel Boy - It only had 2 seasons and 26 episodes and it only aired on CN for a year and 4 months.
10. Class of 3000 - It did OK in ratings, but it only had 2 seasons and 28 episodes and it was never shown past 2008. There were many factors that contributed to it's demise (like budget, a lawsuit , ratings etc). It's last 4 episodes were burned off in 1 day.
11. Out of Jimmy's Head - I'm cheating with this 1, but it is part live action and part animated and it was produced by CN studios so I can count it. It only had 20 episodes and 1 season. It was arguably the most hated CN original that was produced.
12. Transformers Animated - CN barely advertised the show and it was put on early deathslots sometime later. It's 4th season was cancelled.
13. The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack - Flapjack was showing new episodes on CN for barely 2 years. It was treated pretty well at the beginning, but later into late 2nd season, it was shown with less reruns, less advertising and it was shuffled around the schedule.
14. The Secret Saturdays -It's timeslot was often shuffled, it was rarely advertised and it almost had no reruns. It only had 2 seasons and 36 episodes.

Dishonorable mentions: Their shorts program: Sunday Pants and Cartoonstitute. The former had planned 13 episodes, but only 5 ever aired on TV. 6 never aired and 2 were scrapped. The latter had made 14 shorts but they never aired on CN, but it was put online. Only 2 shows went from there: Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa.

There were shows that did get treated good during their run, or at least a lot better than the above mentioned shows. The ones that fall in that category were: Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Codename Kids Next Door, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Ben 10 franchise, and to lesser extent Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partner's a Monkey and Chowder.
So what are your thoughts about treatment of 2000s shows? Agree? Disagree?

Pooky

Here in the UK I remember (towards the end of my initial period of access to the channel) Sheep in the Big City getting a big push. A few years ago I was surprised to find out how obscure it seems to have become.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
A lot of those shows were treated better than anything made in the 2010s, but I know if they are getting treated better now, it's only because of nostalgia and not much else.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Considering that it only had 26 episodes and that is was nowhere near mentioned as other late 1990s Cartoons Cartoons, so probably not.
Just because Mike, Lu and Og was unsuccessful, doesn't mean it was treated poorly. I think it was treated like the other Cartoon Cartoons, at least at first.

Dr.Pepper

I do not remember Time Squad ever premiering episodes in the early mornings. I always recall it being on CCF (or other similar block). The funny thing is I remember Time Squad being around longer than it was, because it seemed like it was on a lot.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I do not remember Time Squad ever premiering episodes in the early mornings. I always recall it being on CCF (or other similar block). The funny thing is I remember Time Squad being around longer than it was, because it seemed like it was on a lot.
It aired from 2001 till 2005, but at the very end of its run only at 5am.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
Oh I do remember Billy & Mandy getting the better treatment than Evil Con Carne. Maybe the former got better ratings.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't want a Playstation 5 for all of the new "next gen" games coming, I just want a PS5 so I can just play my PS4 games without my PS4 console sounding like a rocket engine blasting off. (...So tired of seeing the PS5's sold out everywhere....)
Who remembers playing the iCarly game Pack-Rat (Pac-Man clone)on the Nick website? Those were great memories
Was "Mega Man: Fully Charged" ever dubbed in foreign languages?

That thread reached 1000 posts, someone or any admin please lock that thread.
Am I hearing this right? Nick USA not airing SpongeBob SquarePants for a day? Am I dreaming?

Featured Posts