Weird new project from Hideo Kojima

Shnay

Ne'er-Do-Well
According to gamesarefun, Hideo Kojima is working on a new GBA game, titled "BOKTAI." The game an RPG with an interesting feature: it will suposedly be a "light sensitive game."

Here's what the article says about it:

Konami announces BOKTAI
Konami was kind enough to send us the first pictures taken from Hideo Kojima's Game Boy Advance brainchild, BOKTAI. Previously titled My Sun, BOKTAI has gamers taking on the role of a teenager who is given the task of destroying troublesome vampires. While the concept isn't particularly ground-breaking, the execution could be. BOKTAI will be the first light-sensitive role-playing game; it takes advantage of a cartridge that can detect the amount of light in a room, thus changing the setting and abilities of people in the game.

Very few details are known about BOKTAI at this time, but the art and screens promise a unique experience. Konami of America has promised more information soon, so make sure you stick around for that!

(The article includes some pretty cool screens of the game, too)

Anyone have any idea how this is going to work? Anyone excited/curious about it? Anyone not care what Kojima does if its not Metal Gear related?

Opaque

mortal kombat imo
that looks so darn cool... I just hope the light thing doesn't take over and the game is good on its own merits...

Robin2099

Hmm well it's a little but weird but I have to admit that it seems pretty cool. I'll be interested in trying it out to see what it's like and will follow its development.

guinaevere

agent provocateur
I opened this thread because the mention of Hideo always gets my attention. He's just so absolutely horrible at taking good game ideas and then ruining them with over-bearing messages and story. (Metal Gear series, Zone of Enders)

But what struck me is the irony of the concept being executed on the GBA. Okay, it *has* to be on the GBA, unless they develop an outside-the-console-plug-in-attachment-light-sensing-thingy to plug into the current-gen console, but still...

A Light Sensitive GBA game? Isn't that insulting anyone who is stuck with a GBA and doesn't fork over the money for a new GBAsp?

But back to the main point, it does *sound* interesting, and I'm all for new technologies. Of course, I'm rather in Nin-Nins catagory, in that I'm still bitter over Tilt & Tumble.

Shnay

Ne'er-Do-Well
Originally posted by guinaevere
A Light Sensitive GBA game? Isn't that insulting anyone who is stuck with a GBA and doesn't fork over the money for a new GBAsp?

That's what I was thinking. If you're using a normal GBA the light settings really can't vary all that much. You've basically got "a lot of light" to "not quite as much light." If it was lit like the SP, you could really do something with this, where settings could be completely dark to dim to bright. But, as the regular GBA is now, it's really got me wondering how (or if) they're going to pull this off.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts