We Bare Bears "News & Discussion Thread"

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A TV movie called We Bare Bears: The Movie is coming next year. A baby bears spin-off is also in development.
Currently in production, “We Bare Bears the Movie” will follow the stackable bear bros as their love of food trucks and internet fame leads to a bit of unexpected mayhem. Grizz (Eric Edelstein), Panda (Bobby Moynihan) and Ice Bear (Demetri Martin) will find themselves having to go on a wild, dangerous and likely hilarious adventure to escape a foe who threatens to tear them apart. The TV movie is slated for a 2020 premiere.

While the adult bears are prepping for a feature-length adventure, a spinoff based on the Baby Bears is also in development at Cartoon Network.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

So does that mean that regular We Bare Bears is over? No season 5?

The Baby Bears spin-off was expected, yeah, but the movie wasn't. Didn't expect that at all.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
I haven't kept up with this show in a while, but I'm glad that it's getting this much love from CN. It deserves it.
So does that mean that regular We Bare Bears is over? No season 5?

The Baby Bears spin-off was expected, yeah, but the movie wasn't. Didn't expect that at all.
That's a possibility. If that were the case, the movie may serve as the main series's conclusion.

JTOONSAnimation

I figured a spin-off of the baby bears would happen, but I didn't expect a movie. I know the show is very popular in other countries. And that's one thing that makes Cartoon Networks tactics better than Nickelodeon, looking at more than just the linear viewership on the main channel.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
What's the movie about ?
Nothing much:

“We Bare Bears the Movie” will follow the stackable bear bros as their love of food trucks and internet fame leads to a bit of unexpected mayhem. Grizz, Panda and Ice Bear will find themselves having to go on a wild, dangerous and likely hilarious adventure to escape a foe who threatens to tear them apart.

I figured a spin-off of the baby bears would happen, but I didn't expect a movie. I know the show is very popular in other countries. And that's one thing that makes Cartoon Networks tactics better than Nickelodeon, looking at more than just the linear viewership on the main channel.
Except the only "other countries" that the show does well was Asia, due to having a strong merchandise of stuff associated to the show, no mentioned to other countries outside of Asia.

Eldorado

Actually there was a tweet that someone had just joined the staff so a Season 5 seems likely. I'd post it but it appears it was deleted.

DeanBurrito25

Interesting. I kind of fell off of watching the show myself, but it's cool to see it gain enough traction to warrant a TV movie in general. Maybe it will be worth picking up again, especially if the main series is winding down in due time.

ShadowBeast

ZanyLogic5

So with this spinoff coming, would it be a little refreshing to go an alternate route by (instead of the bears searching for a home) having the baby bears actually live with someone and a cast of characters instead of one shots. To me, it'll allow more interesting stories to follow with a change in tone.

As for the movie, I expect the team to go all out on it since it'll require a huge expansion on what hasn't been established yet in the show, but definitely not to a degree where it hits non-canon territory. Yes, the plot will be self-contained and won't effect the continuity status. I'm just saying they might have to be as careful to not contradict or retcon something that was shown in past episodes, otherwise, the change will be unnecessary.

zoombie

So with this spinoff coming, would it be a little refreshing to go an alternate route by (instead of the bears searching for a home) having the baby bears actually live with someone and a cast of characters instead of one shots. To me, it'll allow more interesting stories to follow with a change in tone.

Yeah but we know the adult bears live alone. I assume the conclusion of the adoption plot line was the bears decided they don't need anybody, they can take care of themselves.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
The TV movie I'm all for, but I'm a little iffy on the spinoff idea, if only because the main show has already made a good number of flashback episodes. It feels like too much has been done with the idea at this point to really warrant it, y'know?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Just because it's huge in Asia, doesn't mean it's doing bad elsewhere. It's doing fine in many other countries. It has more international appeal than Family Guy, American Dad and PPG 2016 ever had.

Since they didn't announce season 5, the series is probably over. I doubt they want 2 WBB series at the same time!
Not sure I like the idea of the main series being turfed for a baby bears spinoff. Part of the fun of the adult bears episodes is the ensemble cast (ie, Charlie, Tabes, Nom Nom, Chloe). Since the story of the Baby Bears is them trying to find a home, they usually just encounter one-shot characters. That said, have they ever done an episode where we find out how the bears met each other and became friends?
That will probably be the first episode of We Baby Bear Bears.

I'll miss Chloe, Tables and even Charlie too.

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
A TV movie called We Bare Bears: The Movie is coming next year. A baby bears spin-off is also in development.

No, no, no. Sorry, not to sound rude, but I think a spinoff series is a terrible idea. There have already been WAY too many Baby Bears episodes in the regular series, what warrants a spinoff? As I've said before, the Baby Bears episodes used to be heartwarming and endearing; now they're just more "adventure of the week" stories, and I fear this spinoff will bring absolutely nothing new to the table. Besides, Sam Lavagnino is already 12; I highly doubt he'll be able to do the voice of Baby Grizz for much longer. I know that they could always recast, but Lavagnino has such a distinct voice and he really made the character for me, so it's going to be super weird not hearing him in a year or so.

A movie sounded cool at first...but then I read the plot, and considering it sounds like nothing is really going to happen, I'm wary. Plus, I didn't think "Captain Craboo" was all that great, so I'm not sure if the series is something that belongs in a format longer than eleven minutes.

And honestly, and this is just my opinion, I feel like the series doesn't really need much more closure anyway. 140 episodes is plenty in my mind, and certainly enough for Cartoon Network to show reruns throughout the day. I'd want more episodes if the show kept trying new things or did something to keep it fresh, but unfortunately, I feel like the episodes (especially the ones in season four) are very "samey." They're not bad per se, but they're nothing that I would go out of my way to watch. The Amazing World of Gumball had over 200 episodes, but I felt like that show could go on for that long because it continued being funny, taking risks and exploring new characters and places, something I just don't see WBB doing anytime soon. Yes, there's a lot of world-building to be done in this show, but I guess I'm one person not too interested in seeing it.

Sorry for being so negative, but this is how I feel. I know the show is popular in other places and I'm not angry about its popularity or anything like that. It's awesome that the fans are getting more material even if there is no season five, but I'm personally not hyped about it. While there are certainly a few "diamond in the rough" episodes airing coming out currently, most new episodes are nothing spectacular in my eyes. And I'm not trying to come off as an ignorant, ranting troll in this post. I used to love this show, but I fell out of touch with it around mid-season two when I felt the stories were getting sort of lame (not all, of course, "Yuri and the Bear" was fantastic.) So, apologies again for being a bit of a "negative Nellie" here; this news sort of struck a nerve with me. But, who knows? Maybe the show will surprise me and do something really amazing with the movie and spinoff series and I'll take back everything that I said. :)

Last edited:

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
No, no, no. Sorry, not to sound rude, but I think a spinoff series is a terrible idea. There have already been WAY too many Baby Bears episodes in the regular series, what warrants a spinoff? As I've said before, the Baby Bears episodes used to be heartwarming and endearing; now they're just more "adventure of the week" stories, and I fear this spinoff will bring absolutely nothing new to the table. Besides, Sam Lavagnino is already 12; I highly doubt he'll be able to do the voice of Baby Grizz for much longer. I know that they could always recast, but Lavagnino has such a distinct voice and he really made the character for me, so it's going to be super weird not hearing him in a year or so.

A movie sounded cool at first...but then I read the plot, and considering it sounds like nothing is really going to happen, I'm wary. Plus, I didn't think "Captain Craboo" was all that great, so I'm not sure if the series is something that belongs in a format longer than eleven minutes.

And honestly, and this is just my opinion, I feel like the series doesn't really need much more closure anyway. 140 episodes is plenty in my mind, and certainly enough for Cartoon Network to show reruns throughout the day. I'd want more episodes if the show kept trying new things or did something to keep it fresh, but unfortunately, I feel like the episodes (especially the ones in season four) are very "samey." They're not bad per se, but they're nothing that I would go out of my way to watch. The Amazing World of Gumball had over 200 episodes, but I felt like that show could go on for that long because it continued being funny, taking risks and exploring new characters and places, something I just don't see WBB doing anytime soon. Yes, there's a lot of world-building to be done in this show, but I guess I'm one person not too interested in seeing it.

Sorry for being so negative, but this is how I feel. I know the show is popular in other places and I'm not angry about its popularity or anything like that. It's awesome that the fans are getting more material even if there is no season five, but I'm personally not hyped about it. While there are certainly a few "diamond in the rough" episodes airing coming out currently, most new episodes are nothing spectacular in my eyes. And I'm not trying to come off as an ignorant, ranting troll in this post. I used to love this show, but I fell out of touch with it around mid-season two when I felt the stories were getting sort of lame (not all, of course, "Yuri and the Bear" was fantastic.) So, apologies again for being a bit of a "negative Nellie" here; this news sort of struck a chord with me. But, who knows? Maybe the show will surprise me and do something really amazing with the movie and spinoff series and I'll take back everything that I said. :)
Well in long story short (TL;DR), neither of us "Warranted" anything beside some of us, were aware of it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
I’m happy for the show’s success, wherever it comes from. The show’s not bad actually, it just doesn’t have much that’ll keep my interest. I can understand the appeal of having the bears being babies and having globetrotting adventures, I think it’ll make a great series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel

Sorry for being so negative, but this is how I feel. I know the show is popular in other places and I'm not angry about its popularity or anything like that. It's awesome that the fans are getting more material even if there is no season five, but I'm personally not hyped about it. While there are certainly a few "diamond in the rough" episodes airing coming out currently, most new episodes are nothing spectacular in my eyes. And I'm not trying to come off as an ignorant, ranting troll in this post. I used to love this show, but I fell out of touch with it around mid-season two when I felt the stories were getting sort of lame (not all, of course, "Yuri and the Bear" was fantastic.) So, apologies again for being a bit of a "negative Nellie" here; this news sort of struck a nerve with me. But, who knows? Maybe the show will surprise me and do something really amazing with the movie and spinoff series and I'll take back everything that I said. :)
I'm pretty sure that what is said about the movie isn't the plot. It's the most generic text ever. They always say that when they describe WBB, no? Don't let a random text like that ruin your hopes for the movie.

I'm pretty sure they will introduce new things in the spin-off. Otherwise they wouldn't bother making it, eh!

I personally would have preferred 60 more episodes, a movie and no spin-off, oh well...

The origin webcomic The Three Bare Bears featured baby bears. (or at least younger looking bears).

Light Lucario

Staff member
I haven't caught up with the series for awhile, but I'm glad that it's doing well enough for a movie and a spin-off series. A movie sounds pretty cool. I have some mixed feelings on the spin-off. The baby bear episodes are usually pretty cute with some heartwarming moments, but I don't know how well they work as the basis for a whole series. The flashback episodes are nice every now and then to mix things up for the regular series. Plus, I'd feel kind of sad if they don't give We Bare Bears another season partly because of the spin-off approach, especially when a lot of the supporting cast wouldn't show up in the new series.

I'm sure that the spin-off will be cute and fun though. Maybe they'll finally lead up to how Ice Bear started to talk. That would be neat.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts