Toonzone News WB Launches Boomerang Streaming Service Hosting Over 5,000 Classic Cartoons

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
peter-paltridge submitted a new blog post

WB Launches Boomerang Streaming Service Hosting Over 5,000 Classic Cartoons
wb-launches-boomerang-streaming-790x494.jpg

Boomerang, previously a brand associated with CN’s spinoff channel, will also be the name of the service launching this spring that beams over 5,000 cartoons from WB’s classic library into your TV, mobile device or Internet browser. The Boomerang service will also host original content, launching with two new series created by Warmer Bros. Animation: “Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz,” recasting the heroine of the original Oz story as a “brave and feisty princess protagonist,” and “Wacky Races” (self-explanatory). Future projects will include “new adventures” for the Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry.
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Dudley

Staff member
Turner, Warner Bros. to Launch Boomerang Cartoon Streaming-Subscription Service for $5 Monthly

I'm pretty excited, and this is something I've been wanting for a long time (though of course, I would've preferred an ad-based service so I wouldn't have to pay). I liked it when Boomerang aired classic cartoons from the Turner/TimeWarner library, and this seems to feature a slew of shows based off what's shown on the site, and in this video below. Who knows, they might add the DTV Scooby movies, and make various Kids WB series, (Histeria, Pinky and the Brain, Legion of Superheroes) available as well.
More importantly, this is great for people who's cable provider didn't carry Boomerang, so I definitely hope to sign up in the future.

What do you guys think? Would you get this service?

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I'm excited about this too.
This would be great.
I also agree on the ad-based service as well, because I don't wanna pay for something great like this either.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Me, upon reading that article:

giphy.gif

This is about as close as we're going to get to returning Boomerang to what it once was.

Now if it could just toss in stuff from the Ruby-Spears library of shows, along with anything else from the 70's/80's (the stuff that's not got the broadcast rights tied up), then my childhood is restored.

I'd ask them to toss in the Filmation stuff as well, but that library of shows is easily available elsewhere online.

Cosmo

???%
This is pretty cool. I thought they just gave up on Boomerang but they had this in mind. Can't wait for it.

JTOONSAnimation

Wow, I didn't even know Boomerang had an official YouTube page or even a Twitter. Maybe Boomerang is now being taken seriously since the rebrand.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Wow, I didn't even know Boomerang had an official YouTube page or even a Twitter. Maybe Boomerang is now being taken seriously since the rebrand.
They were launched with the announcement of the new streaming service along with Facebook and Instagram accounts. But yeah, it's nice that Boomerang is actually getting this kind of attention.

Mandouga

If they make it so that we can get it for free with our cable TV subscription at least, then I might consider it (e.g., Starz, and I think Epix let you have either a standalone subscription, or free viewing with a cable subscription). Otherwise, I'm going to have to say no, which is too bad really, because I really am interested in this.

MTGM

Maybe this explains why they've been keeping a lot of shows off of their live feed. Maybe they're doing this as an incentive.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I am curious about a couple of things, such as if we're getting every Looney Tunes short or just the same handful CN and Boom show, if they'll be censored, and if older CN and/or Warner series will be a part of this.

Until we know about these, though, count me interested.

Harley

Embarassment Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
I'll definitely keep an eye out for their regular offerings and make a call on whether to get a subscription or not when they officially launch.

Frank Coufal

I was hoping that they would bring the old logo back with the toys too! :(
(unless if they are going to bring it back by surprise)
I hope so. I'd also like to have the CN Groovies and Shorties brought back. I also hope they'll show Swat Kats, Road Rovers, 2 Stupid Dogs,
Freakazoid, Taz Mania, and Tom and Jerry Kids.

Jonwo

I wonder if Wacky Races and Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz will be exclusive to the streaming service or if they'll air on regular Boomerang as well? I imagine having new exclusive content would be a big selling point along with the classic stuff.

Given how CN and Boomerang treat WBA's shows, I wonder if we might see them stick to the streaming services, maybe if Boomerang is successful, they'll launch a DC streaming service with the back catalogue plus new content.

DeanBurrito25

So wait. Boomerang is both the name of the channel and the new streaming service that's set to launch in the future? And the new service just has the "boomerang" name in the URL while the channel now has "boomeranggo" instead? This is so confusing.

I see one of the "classic" cartoons being offered in the new Boomerang service is My Gym Partner's A Monkey, so take of that what you will. At least the high quality looping animation clips on the top of the web page look nice. Kinda surprised they didn't save this news for the big Turner upfront this spring. They'll probably make a big fuss about it then regardless.

I know the press release said the main channel will continue to stay on the air, but I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if it ends up being gradually phased out not this year, but two or three years down the line. With a streaming service as ambitious as this, there just doesn't seem to be any point in keeping the channel around anymore.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts