WB Censored Eleven DVD

Latest News & Videos

DVDLooney

Feb 3, 2014
so the WB market is dead there are no retail releases at like walmart or stuff?
Given the paranoia over the "Casanova Cat" and "Mouse Cleaning" for the Tom and Jerry Golden Collection volume 2, i doubt they have WB Censored 11 DVDs sold anywhere. The reason being us, as Looney Tunes enthusiasts aren't their viewing audience. They're releasing new media, but for different audience, and I think that's their biggest mistake cause they won't re-release Un-PC media due to some people getting paranoid of that.

Hashtag Hashim

Oct 27, 2016
I contacted Jerry Beck, and he confirmed that the reason they're not releasing the Censored 11 is due to:

1. Cultural sensitivities
2. The DVD market is dying
3. ANY classic cartoon DVDs would not manage to make enough money to be financially worthwhile

From what he said, it seems like there won't be any new LT home video releases EVER again.

He can't convince Warner because it is practically certain that it would not sell, no matter how much us collectors want it.

Kevin Mo

orangemo
I contacted Jerry Beck, and he confirmed that the reason they're not releasing the Censored 11 is due to:

3. ANY classic cartoon DVDs would not manage to make enough money to be financially worthwhile

From what he said, it seems like there won't be any new LT home video releases EVER again.

He can't convince Warner because it is practically certain that it would not sell, no matter how much us collectors want it.
Yeah your right, although the cultural sensitivities shouldn't be a problem despite there being a disclaimer on it. If you wanna complain don't buy it.

They should release it they already wasted money already adding it for release. That could possibly be the last DVD.

I'm hoping they can be restored. We gotta inspire a new generation. Warner should add these cartoons to Netflix like they did with animaniacs.

laserdisc86

Apr 5, 2017
If the content is all ready to be packaged and sold, but they consider the DVD market for these products dead... why not release them digitally or on demand?

If you spent all this money on restoring these shorts, but don't think you are going to make enough money back, why sit on it? Release it digitally or on-demand, then at least you'd make something back!

Very, very sad if they won't release any further cartoons on DVD or Blu-ray. There are tons of content on VHS and laserdisc which would be lovely to have on DVD or Blu-ray. These cartoons and their original elements will fade away, and if no restoration is planned, these could be lost forever.

I don't think Warner helped the home video market by re-releasing the same content again and again, confusing customers and forcing them to double-dip with new compilations with little new content. What a shame. :(

Cartoonfan13

Sep 12, 2017
Just heard from Jerry (he is AMAZING). I also asked him about other releases as well

"None of those announced DVDs are coming out. Warner Bros. consides the DVD market dead for classic cartoons. There are no plans for further DVDs or blu-rays featuring classic cartoons. I am tackling to Warner Archive and maybe at some point they will release some older MGM or WB cartoons - but there are no plans by them to do so at this time."
They might have changed their mind.

Cartman

Flute Player

1. Cultural sensitivities - A lot of culturally sensitive cartoons have been released on DVD and there have always been disclaimers on the sets saying these cartoons are products of their time and are presented that way

2. DVD market dying - We have Blu-Ray or maybe net streaming, but those films could have a disclaimer before each viewing or be put in their own section made for those 18 and older.

3. AS for this statement, I suppose they could be again part of internet streaming with Netflix or something else

Reactions: Cartoonfan13

Kevin Mo

orangemo
1. Cultural sensitivities - A lot of culturally sensitive cartoons have been released on DVD and there have always been disclaimers on the sets saying these cartoons are products of their time and are presented that way

2. DVD market dying - We have Blu-Ray or maybe net streaming, but those films could have a disclaimer before each viewing or be put in their own section made for those 18 and older.

3. AS for this statement, I suppose they could be again part of internet streaming with Netflix or something else
I'm not sure if I could request a personal DVD from the Warner Archive with these copies but I could try.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
If Warner Bros. doesn't want to restore their theatrical cartoon library (not just LT/MM) for disc media, they can certainly do it for digital media (downloads and streaming).

Of course, WB is still committed to releasing the Popeye cartoons on DVD it seems, even if the schedule had to change due to COVID-19.

WB should also commission West Wing Studios to colorize the 119 B&W Popeye shorts using the latest computer technology (which would then be released via the Archive on DVD, on television, and digital download).

So perhaps if WB is interested in Popeye, there's still hope for other cartoons, like the C11.

FoxInAFix

May 23, 2020
The Netherlands
They should do a documentary release showing all banned shorts in one go with commentaries and an extended introduction, and then put the shorts with original audio in the special features. No way any kids are going to watch that.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Given that the full list of "banned" cartoons is a lot larger than eleven these days (something Jerry Beck mentioned on one of the Stu's Show podcasts), I'm not giving my hopes up.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Forgive me for asking this if it's already been brought up, but don't these cartoons, well, SUCK? I'm not sure why people are clamoring for them. I mean, I suppose a turd in a jar from Ted Williams would count for some people as baseball memorabilia. But I also wouldn't keep it in my house.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Mar 19, 2016
Forgive me for asking this if it's already been brought up, but don't these cartoons, well, SUCK? I'm not sure why people are clamoring for them. I mean, I suppose a turd in a jar from Ted Williams would count for some people as baseball memorabilia. But I also wouldn't keep it in my house.
Regardless of quality, they're still part of history. That's why people keep hounding Disney to release Song of the South and to at least acknowledge Sunflower.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Is that why people want them? I don't see message boards clamoring for home video releases of Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will. I'm not saying we should forget history. What I am saying is that it seems to be more of a case of completist collectors being anal retentive than actual historians wanting to preserve history. Because those are some crappy cartoons.

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
Both of those films are on Blu-ray.

Coal Black is generally considered among the best/most significant Warner Bros cartoons of the 40s, and if going by that metric alone would have been on the Golden Collection by Volume 2 or 3 at the latest. The others aren't particularly significant outside of notoriety (bar All This and Rabbit Stew, which is somewhat notable as one of four Bugs Bunny cartoons directed by Ted Avery), and I don't think they need be prioritised over all the other LT/MM cartoons which are not commercially available.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
Both of those films are on Blu-ray.

Coal Black is generally considered among the best/most significant Warner Bros cartoons of the 40s, and if going by that metric alone would have been on the Golden Collection by Volume 2 or 3 at the latest. The others aren't particularly significant outside of notoriety (bar All This and Rabbit Stew, which is somewhat notable as one of four Bugs Bunny cartoons directed by Ted Avery), and I don't think they need be prioritised over all the other LT/MM cartoons which are not commercially available.
Tin Pan Alley Cats (which, like Coal Black, was directed by Bob Clampett) has also gotten warm reception among film historians. On the other hand, I recall reading that cartoons like Sunday Go to Meetin' Time and Angel Puss aren't considered notable beyond being Censored Eleven material.

Reactions: 19MagiswordLane

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Summertime and June Mix!

I saw something at 1:37 that says DC Superhero High. Does that mean a revival of the 2015 DC Superhero Girls, or a different project altogether?
Asa

The Thomas fandom has lost a beloved UK narrator.
CNC
Mao Mao has been on hiatus since October. There will be no new episodes airing in June in the U.S., despite those last 9 episodes of Season 1 (31-40) allegedly leaked by Aussie streaming service Stan back in April, and we've been telling ourselves NOT to spoil any of these episodes on social media until they are officially released.

Man, it's really hard to like your favorite show when it's stuck in a long hiatus...