Wasn't it weird when Cartoon Network-era Toonami aired adult Seinen anime?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

Oct 23, 2014
Ratings
320 5
Prior to the creation and eventual expansion of Adult Swim, Toonami was Cartoon Network's primary outlet for anime. Airing in three flavors, the main weekday afternoon block, a slightly edgier "Midnight Run", and a short-lived "Rising Sun" variant on Saturday mornings. Much like today, Toonami in its original version was known for popularizing long battle Shonen anime for young males from Dragon Ball Z, to Yu Yu Hakusho, and even Sailor Moon in the case of Shojo. But around the early-2000s, several shows came along on Toonami that did seem a bit too adult. Outlaw Star, The Big O were Seinen, meaning they were aimed at adult males. Tenchi Muyo! was arguably an edgier Shonen, teetering on Seinen, and some of the later Gundam series that they aired were increasingly more violent (0080 had to be a Midnight Run exclusive due to its violence). I think there was even a lost Y7-edit of Cowboy Bebop at one point.

Looking back on it now, it was surreal to see 3 very adult series broadcasted in daytime time slots when children could be watching. Granted they were cut, edited, and cleaned up for broadcast, but I can only imagine how much hell the producers of Toonami at the time were facing with how much they needed to change, not helped by Cartoon Network's inconsistent standards for the block at the time. I think the creation of Adult Swim was necessary for Toonami to find a new footing, along with its move to Saturday nights, as its later years doubled down on long running Shonen anime. Rave Master, Zatch Bell, Naruto, MAR, One Piece, Prince of Tennis, Bobobo, while most of the more adult stuff went to Adult Swim. Speaking of which, I always felt InyuYasha and Bleach were way too tame for Adult Swim at the time given their long-running shonen nature. A few blood/violence and nudity cuts and they certainly would've worked on Toonami, especially in Bleach's case.

Last edited:

SourSweetGone

Canterlot High Class of 83.
Mar 31, 2017
Ratings
277 5
US
1. What's a Senien?

2. I mean given it was pre Adult-Swim and Toonami did have a "Midnight Run" block not really.

3. Random but Honestly I just miss being able to watch Sailor Moon on A U.S. TV network, its butts that DBS gets to air on TV but Sailor Moon Crystal is stuck online on Hulu.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I didn't see these shows on classic Toonami, but after watching Outlaw Star, I am amazed that they could edit it down to fit on Cartoon Network and the show is still held in high regards. They had to alter so much, but it didn't seem to affect the reception of Outlaw Star.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
Ratings
1,615 9
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
I didn't see these shows on classic Toonami, but after watching Outlaw Star, I am amazed that they could edit it down to fit on Cartoon Network and the show is still held in high regards. They had to alter so much, but it didn't seem to affect the reception of Outlaw Star.
The show received popularity on the network mainly for its first run--the censors sort of fell asleep on the wheel. Mild blood and profanity slipped through (they got as far as "son of a *****" uncensored at one point during afternoon hours), and this was several months before Adult Swim existed, so it was a pretty big deal at the time.

I think there was even a lost Y7-edit of Cowboy Bebop at one point.
There was not.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
936 16
Springfield, MO
It's a simple as "Adult Swim didn't exist yet and they were figuring things out along the way".

"Outlaw Star" started airing in January 2001. "The Big O" started airing in April 2001. Adult Swim didn't launch until September 2001. I think I remember preferring to watch both of those series in the "Midnight Run" broadcast, over the afternoon broadcast (because they FELT more appropriate airing late at night).

Add "Gundam 08th MS Team" as another one from that year that was shocking in afternoon television (it aired in July 2001). I think the September 11th attacks also served as a jolt for realigning the block (the "Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket" mini-series aired as a "Midnight Run exclusive" in November 2001 - they kept it far away from weekday afternoons, by that point).

"Midnight Run" in 2000 and 2001 was the prototype for Adult Swim Action in 2002.

Last edited:
May 17, 2006
Ratings
New Jersey
I suppose you're talking about the early 2000s era Toonami with Outlaw Star, Blue Sub No. 6, MSG The 08th MS Team, and the like being on weekday Toonami. I honestly didn't really pick up on Toonami editing until I was introduced to Adult Swim Action through their marathons of Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop, and that's when I became cognizant that Toonami's shows were being heavily edited for kids because that was the first time I saw any cursing or excessive blood on Cartoon Network.
Before then, it never really dawned on me because all of the Toonami shows from before that era were very tame and children's cartoons. And ironically now all they play is shonen...

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,768 6
New York City
I don't recall it feeling weird at the time, but in hindsight, we didn't know how fortunate we were. The idea of shows like Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, or even Rurouni Kenshin or YuYu Hakusho airing on any kind of kids channel now is laughable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I just had a bizzaro dream that Frank Welker was in my computer lab on campus! o_0
My personal synopsis: I'm not the most energetic or enthusiastic person you'll ever meet, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun. Generally, I'm pretty introverted and usually play video games, watch anime, and also study in the field of IT. I'm a huge music fanatic, as well. And I listen to pretty much everything except country. My favorites being trap, jazz, and metal.
anyone else surprised that new Paw Patrol one hour special are now Nick's #1 most watched premieres in 2018 so far?
I just saw The Grinch in IMAX, it was great!
Iron Man: Armored Adventures is one of the most thrilling cartoons ever made.