Was the Boomerang rebrand a failure?

Lord Hater

Retired
I would say that this rebrand was a failure. It's a shame what happened because this channel had to much potential. But Turner just didn't unlock it.

First, the schedule is downright awful. Ever since June 2014, we have basically received the exact same blocks of Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, and Tom and Jerry. The only changes that we got only made the schedule worse. I mean seriously, why air Teen Titans Go! and The Amazing World of Gumball on Boomerang when they're already airing on CN?! When they could put any older CN original or even shows like Angelo Rules and Numb Chucks. We need to see the schedule change every month like before the rebrand.

Second, promotion and distribution. I haven't seen a single promo for Boomerang on Cartoon Network (or any other outlet for that matter). How are people supposed to know that Boomerang exists if there's no promotion? Heck, even the Saturday morning block on CN doesn't even have a name! The channel's availability will probably increase if you just promote it.

Third, programming. At the 2015 upfront, there were a grand total of zero shows announced, not even the cheap CGI ones that could be placeholders. Instead, Turner is letting all imports go to other channels. We later got three new series announced, but all of them aired on Cartoon Network first! Shouldn't Boomerang air the premieres first and then CN airs reruns, if they truly want people to subscribe. At least Disney knows what they're doing. What's even the point of having this rebrand if there wasn't going to be anything interesting happening to the channel?

All in all, I have given up on Boomerang USA and my attention goes to the international feeds only.

taconate

Too early to tell. CN is trying to spread out a bit and probably put slightly younger demo content on Boomerang. These things usually take time.

As I recall - they've got a new Scooby Doo reboot, Wabbit and Bunicula all coming to Boomerang for new original content. Haven't been watching too closely, so not sure if that changed.

Tried to attach a link to the Cartoon Brew article on that content stuff from last year, but I'm a newb on this forum so it wouldn't let me. Just google "bunicula scooby doo boomerang" and it's the second result if you want to go back and read it.

DVDLooney

I would say that this rebrand was a failure. It's a shame what happened because this channel had to much potential. But Turner just didn't unlock it.

First, the schedule is downright awful. Ever since June 2014, we have basically received the exact same blocks of Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, and Tom and Jerry. The only changes that we got only made the schedule worse. I mean seriously, why air Teen Titans Go! and The Amazing World of Gumball on Boomerang when they're already airing on CN?! When they could put any older CN original or even shows like Angelo Rules and Numb Chucks. We need to see the schedule change every month like before the rebrand.

Second, promotion and distribution. I haven't seen a single promo for Boomerang on Cartoon Network (or any other outlet for that matter). How are people supposed to know that Boomerang exists if there's no promotion? Heck, even the Saturday morning block on CN doesn't even have a name! The channel's availability will probably increase if you just promote it.

Third, programming. At the 2015 upfront, there were a grand total of zero shows announced, not even the cheap CGI ones that could be placeholders. Instead, Turner is letting all imports go to other channels. We later got three new series announced, but all of them aired on Cartoon Network first! Shouldn't Boomerang air the premieres first and then CN airs reruns, if they truly want people to subscribe. At least Disney knows what they're doing. What's even the point of having this rebrand if there wasn't going to be anything interesting happening to the channel?

All in all, I have given up on Boomerang USA and my attention goes to the international feeds only.

As I mentioned in another thread, US Turner are the only ones adding Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball, which of course, are shows that STILL currently air on Cartoon Network on USA Boomerang. In my opinion, US Turner should've at LEAST made the schedule for USA Boomerang similar to Nordic Boomerang how does their scheduling. Boomerang Nordic airs Pinky and The Brain, The Scooby Doo Show, Duck Dodgers mixed in with new shows such as, Owl & Co, Inspector Gadget, Masha and the Bear, Mr. Bean: TAS and The Jungle Bunch. That's what I'm talking about. Not the lousy scheduling US Turner did with USA Boomerang now. As you alluded to, for whatever reason, US Turner refuses to promote Boomerang on Cartoon Network. Like you, I gave up on USA Boomerang as well. I just watch BM CEE and Boomerang Nordic now.

taconate

As I mentioned in another thread, US Turner are the only ones adding Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball, which of course, are shows that STILL currently air on Cartoon Network on USA Boomerang. In my opinion, US Turner should've at LEAST made the schedule for USA Boomerang similar to Nordic Boomerang how does their scheduling. Boomerang Nordic airs Pinky and The Brain, The Scooby Doo Show, Duck Dodgers mixed in with new shows such as, Owl & Co, Inspector Gadget, Masha and the Bear, Mr. Bean: TAS and The Jungle Bunch. That's what I'm talking about. Not the lousy scheduling US Turner did with USA Boomerang now. As you alluded to, for whatever reason, US Turner refuses to promote Boomerang on Cartoon Network. Like you, I gave up on USA Boomerang as well. I just watch BM CEE and Boomerang Nordic now.
Totally agree with you in terms of that's great content you mentioned, but it all comes down to licensing. They probably don't have those available in the USA, or they cost too much, or they don't perform well here.

They are fighting for budget on CN stuff, but now with original content getting pumped into Boomerang, that will take a chunk out of their licensing budget unless they are increasing the overall operating budget without bringing in significant ad $.

I mentioned in another thread possibly why TTG and Gumball are on Boomerang - basically to convert CN viewers to Boomerang and to give CN viewers options when it switches over to Adult Swim.

DVDLooney

Totally agree with you in terms of that's great content you mentioned, but it all comes down to licensing. They probably don't have those available in the USA, or they cost too much, or they don't perform well here.

They are fighting for budget on CN stuff, but now with original content getting pumped into Boomerang, that will take a chunk out of their licensing budget unless they are increasing the overall operating budget without bringing in significant ad $.

I mentioned in another thread possibly why TTG and Gumball are on Boomerang - basically to convert CN viewers to Boomerang and to give CN viewers options when it switches over to Adult Swim.

You're right, though, as much as I don't agree with it. It all comes down to licensing.

EDIT: There are International Boomerangs and other outlets to US Boomerang, thus, I respect US Turner's decision with how they've handled their Boomerang channel.

Last edited:

Pac-Attack

It's not a failure nor is it a success, it just turned to a sister network that serves no purpose like many others, except this one is honestly worse.

While you can say old Boomerang had no purpose, it at least did do what it was supposed to for the most part until June 2014: classic cartoons (with "new" classics joining over the years like the older CN originals).

New Boom however, from what I can gather, it's supposed to be a network that airs "classic and new cartoons with some exclusives": But in that case, by classic cartoons, if it's just Scoob and Tom and Jerry how about being honest about it? New cartoons, Sonic Boom, Teen Titans Go! and Gumball, weren't those on Cartoon Network? Exclusive shows, by that you mean Wabbit and Bunnicula? But I saw those on Cartoon Network!

Basically, Boomerang rebrand is just a space filler, not a failure, but not successful, it's just there...like all those other networks like Nicktoons, but with even less effort.

Scoobfan69

Too early to tell. CN is trying to spread out a bit and probably put slightly younger demo content on Boomerang. These things usually take time.

As I recall - they've got a new Scooby Doo reboot, Wabbit and Bunicula all coming to Boomerang for new original content. Haven't been watching too closely, so not sure if that changed.

Tried to attach a link to the Cartoon Brew article on that content stuff from last year, but I'm a newb on this forum so it wouldn't let me. Just google "bunicula scooby doo boomerang" and it's the second result if you want to go back and read it.
The shows you listed are being shown on CN first and have already started.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
how are you guys watching the foreign boomerrang channels? i beg of you PLEASE tell me! anything to get me away from my dad's obsession with the flintstones!

taconate

The shows you listed are being shown on CN first and have already started.
It could be CN programming screwing over Boomerang - or more likely, CN just trying to stretch the use out of the content. Those were announced to sound like Boomerang originals from the press release. Probably it didn't make sense financially to premiere on Boom because the ratings weren't there.

Weird though as they were announced as Boomerang content.

Lord Hater

Retired
It could be CN programming screwing over Boomerang - or more likely, CN just trying to stretch the use out of the content. Those were announced to sound like Boomerang originals from the press release. Probably it didn't make sense financially to premiere on Boom because the ratings weren't there.

Weird though as they were announced as Boomerang content.
Why not replace truTV with Boomerang because it serves no purpose?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Because they actually have original programming they show...that's not gonna happen.
And besides, Boomerang still hasn't premiered any original programming at all in the USA. And by "original", I meant that in the sense of "being made for the channel", not "imports that premiere exclusively on the channel" like Numb Chucks.

DVDLooney

In my opinion, I think USA Turner should've made their Boomerang scheduling for the channel more like Boomerang Nordic's. Where you have a mixture of Third-party shows and Classic Cartoons, such as, Pinky and The Brain and Duck Dodgers. In other words, US Boomerang shouldn't be everything CN has and is currently rerunning and vice versa. I mean, honestly, (and I know I'm going off-topic a little), but last year Teen Titans Go was about 60% of CN's schedule, is it really necessary to see a rerun on Boomerang too? From a business standpoint, it might make sense, but it's not necessary in my opinion. Anyway, back to the topic, I think just making USA Boomerang a "Classic Cartoon-Third Party Show" lineup would've been a lot better than it is now.

Boomerangfan101

Can You Not!
I don't think Boomerangs rebrand (personally im glad the channel rebraned after using the same look for 14 years) was a failure it still has a long way to go but i think people seem to forget that Boom just rebranded only last year. i Also think people are expecting too much from the channel it can show some programs from the international feeds but it cant be exactly like the international Boomerangs but promotion from Cartoon Network wouldn't hurt

DVDLooney

I don't think Boomerangs rebrand (personally im glad the channel rebraned after using the same look for 14 years) was a failure it still has a long way to go but i think people seem to forget that Boom just rebranded only last year. i Also think people are expecting too much from the channel it can show some programs from the international feeds but it cant be exactly like the international Boomerangs but promotion from Cartoon Network wouldn't hurt

Well, their programming doesn't have to be the exactly like the International Boomerangs, but AT LEAST similar to them in order for USA Boomerang to differentiate it's programming from USA CN. I'm not an employee of US Turner nor do I know how their business works, but if I'm having both Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball, which are shows Cartoon Network is still airing on their main channel, on Boomerang, then I'd do the cross-promotion. Otherwise, you're just watching more of the same you've seen on CN or have saw the past few years, honestly.

Lord Hater

Retired
Disney at least knows how to handle all of their channels (even if their plan isn't the best).

Right now, Boomerang and Disney XD (which is way better) have only one thing in common. That is airing their parent channel's most popular series to increase ratings. Boomerang aired TTG and Gumball while DXD aired P&F, Wizards, and Jessie.

I think that Turner should look to Disney for advice. On their secondary channel, they have promotion on the main channel, exclusive original and acquired series (except for occasional cross-promotion), an HD feed, a proper website, and regular schedule changes. Those ideas alone would be enough to make this rebrand a success.

kianworld

CN Schedule Archiver
Why not replace truTV with Boomerang because it serves no purpose?
A bunch of shows they air are incredibly popular (Worlds Dumbest, Impractical Jokers, Adam Ruins Everything), dunno what the heck you're talking about.

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
Overseas, where Boomerang has had a stronger presence for years? No, it wasn't a failure.

Domestically, where the channel is only available in less than 40% of all U.S. homes, and they don't seem to be taking the rebrand seriously? Then yes, it's technically a failure.

Scoobfan69

Overseas, where Boomerang has had a stronger presence for years? No, it wasn't a failure.

Domestically, where the channel is only available in less than 40% of all U.S. homes, and they don't seem to be taking the rebrand seriously? Then yes, it's technically a failure.
Actually I think the number went up to 46% when Dish moved it to one of their lower packages.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts