Was 2019 a worst year for animated movies for 2010s decade?

5YearsOnEastCoast

I noticed that year has been really kind to animated movies, or at least to the mainstream ones. Here is what I have to say about 2019 animated movies:
1. Lego Movie: The Second Movie: While it did receive positive reviews, it was deemed inferior to original and some people thought it was unnecessary and that it was bad. It also underperformed. It earned 192 million dollars at Box office, which it is not even half of how much the first movie grossed. It had a budget of 99 million dollars. It was a box office bomb.

2. How to Train Your Dragon 3, This fared better than most of other movies here and it received positive reviews from critics and was deemed as a good conclusion to HTTYD triology. It made 522 million dollars.

3. Wonder Park- It received mediocre to negative reviews from critics and audience and they thought it was forgettable and generic. It made 119 million dollars at Box office. This was a box office bomb.

4. Missing Link- It received very positive reviews from critics and audience, but unfortunately it earned only 26 million dollars on a budget of 100 million dollars. It is 1 of the biggest flops in animation. It is the lowest grossing Laika movie.

5. Uglydolls- It received mediocre to negative reviews from critics and audience and they thought it was forgettable and generic. It earned 32,5 million dollars on a 53 million dollar budget. It was a flop.

6. Secret Life of Pets 2- It received mixed reviews, but while it made 430 million dollars at BO, it still isn't even half of what the original movie earned at BO. It made profit but it was disappointing. It is the lowest grossing Illumination film since Lorax.

7. Toy Story 4- It received very positive reviews from critics and audience, but a vocal minority hated it and thought that it was unnecessary. And most people who liked it thought it was the weakest of 4 movies. It made 1073 million dollars at box office and making it 5th highest grossing animated movie.

8. Lion King- I didn't want to include it, but considering that some sources call it an animated movie, I need to include it. And then there is a blowout that I will soon mention. It received mixed reviews from critics praising it's visuals, but criticizing how it felt soulless and some audience liked it so they could relieve their nostalgia when the original Lion King came out, others hated it due to how shallow and soulless it was. And guess what? It made 1657 million dollars at BO making it the HIGHEST GROSSING ANIMATED MOVIE IN HISTORY OF ANIMATION and 7TH HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE IN HISTORY OF CINEMA. Many people feel insulted by this and I want to rant about it, but I will say something about that for another day. (How did that... THING make so much money?????)

9. Angry Birds Movie 2- It was 1 of better received video game adaptations to movies, but reviews were still somewhat mixed. It earned 154 million dollars against a budget on 65 million dollars. I'm not sure if it is an outright a flop, but 1 things for sure: It didn't earn even half of money that the original movie did.

10. Abominable- It received positive reviews from critics and audience. It warned around 190 million dollars on 75 million dollar. I don't think it flopped, but it earned less money than any other Dreamworks CGI movie other than Captain Underpants and Antz (and even then ticket prices were like twice cheaper when Antz came out when compared to today).

11. The Addams Family- It received mediocre to negative reviews from critics and audience and they thought it was forgettable and generic. It earned 200 million dollars on a 24 million dollar budget. There is a sequel in works.

12. Arctic Dogs- I don't think anybody cared about this movie. It was heavily panned by a small portion of people who bothered to see it. And box office? 9,8 million dollars against a 50 million dollar budget movie. It sure it was a huge bomb.

13. Frozen 2- It received positive reviews from critics and audience, but it was deemed inferior to original and some people heavily criticized it's plot and characterization. Despite that, it earned 1443 million dollars at BO, surpassing well, Frozen 1 as a highest grossing animated movie from WDAS and 2nd highest grossing animated movie ever, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will dethrone Lion King 2019 as a highest grossing animated movie.

14. Playmobil the Movie -I don't think anybody cared about this movie. It was heavily panned by a small portion of people who bothered to see it. It earned 15 million dollars at a box office against a budget of 40 million dollars and it was for sure a flop.

15. Spies in Disguise- It received positive reviews from critics and audience. So far it has earned 167 million dollars at BO against a budget of 100 million dollars. It is to early to say if it flopped, but things don't look good for it. For now it is the lowest grossing movie from Blue Sky Studios.

Not to mention that this year doesn't have any original movie that was even successful both box office wise and critics and audience wise. Every animated movie outside the ones distributed by Disney, they were either good but a little disappointing at best, or downright terrible at worst. Also many animated movies broke records in how much little money they earned like how Playmobil Movie is the lowest grossing movie that is showed over 2300 screens. Movies by Disney in 2019, are the only ones that broke records on how big money make, but this is mostly from Lion King 2019, which like I said before save a rant for another day, but let's say it really worried me about something. I also noticed that a lot of this movies, save for few, don't generate a lot of discussion, both positive and negative.

With all of this aspects, do you think that 2019 is a worst year for animated movies of 2010s decade, or maybe even history of animation?

Dr.Pepper

I think 2011 was worse. The highest grossing animated movie was Cars 2 which I know a ton of people hate (I think it’s alright). The Disney movie of the year was Winnie the Pooh, which was cute and all....but come on, it’s Winnie the Pooh! Dreamworks released a duo of franchise fare. I guess there was Rango, but I personally did not care for it.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I'll be honest: 2019 was not the best year for animated films, but I agree with @Dr.Pepper that 2011 was the worst year this decade. The only movie I liked that came out that year was Kung Fu Panda 2.

P.S. I also did not care for Rango.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I think 2011 was worse. The highest grossing animated movie was Cars 2 which I know a ton of people hate (I think it’s alright). The Disney movie of the year was Winnie the Pooh, which was cute and all....but come on, it’s Winnie the Pooh! Dreamworks released a duo of franchise fare. I guess there was Rango, but I personally did not care for it.
Actually, Kung Fu Panda 2 is the highest grossing animated movie of 2011, Cars 2 is 2nd highest grossing animated movie of 2011.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts