"WandaVision (Disney+ Limited Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this series

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hello, Tommy and Billy.

Phil's "Oh, thank God" moment in the black out. :D

Didn't expect it to get weird with Agnes and Herb when they were conferring about "Geraldine." Or Herb just cutting into the stone wall like that. Or Nielson talking about how it's so hard to escape from a small town.

Gut wrenching when Wanda remembered Pietro then Geraldine mentioned Ultron killed him. But I think that settles it. Wanda's subconscious seems to be the real threat/gatekeeper. In episode 1, Wanda suddenly told Vision in a serious tone to save Mr. Hart. In episode 2, Wanda suddenly said in a serious tone, "No" when they saw the S.W.O.R.D. agent and things rewound. Now in episode 3 with Geraldine being ejected after Wanda again gets serious and starts interrogating her.

And we see the real world and confirmation Westview is a real place but it's enveloped in a pocket world. And there's S.W.O.R.D.'s ad hoc base. As we saw in a trailer(s). And ending with The Monkees.

Dottie and Phil Jones could be versions of Squadron Supreme characters Arcanna Jones and Phil Jones.

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I imagine this was probably the episode where Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany were supposed to sing the theme song.

Fun fact Billy and Tommy were named after Simon Williams Wonder Man and Phineas Thomas Horton the creator of the Human torch because at the time Vision was supposed to be a rebuilt version of the Android.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Now In Color" - I still think there is something going on in regards to Wanda not really being in full control and having to answer to someone even subconciously to someone other then herself. Otherwise why wouldn't Pietro be alive? Since yeah he's acknowledged dying here (is this the first time since Age of Ultron we got that directly since though I wouldn't want it to be the only that defined Wanda weird it hasn't come up since now) and that being traumatic for Wanda but since obviously she's using this whole mental alter made up scenario to live out some sort of peaceful life why not have her brother brought back? The people behind this aren't stupid and know the fans know about the characters so the fact he's acknowledged without being shown has to mean something. Especially with the reveal that Geraldine/Monica is obviously someone working more from the outside which we knew about already but I do like how that's revealed with people like Herb and Agnes being more established players more willing to go along directly while Geraldine/Monica does try confronting Wanda about it only to have that be what kicks her out of this particular reality bubble. So it is clear most people know what's going on and honestly seems like Vision will be our straight man in having no clue what the mystery is though yeah anytime seems like he gets close to finding something out Wanda can just reverse that so yeah curious and curiouser as to what exactly is going on. It does involve Wanda warping reality but it can't just be her too as it feels like there's a bigger game in all of this and we're still trying to pick up all the pieces.

As for the comedy here it's fine. Again I'm not as much a fan of the misunderstanding wacky shennigans esque having to hide your secret powers or secret stuff which yeah clear that this show is taking aim at those sort of things with a deeper point but that is still the main line of comedy so those bits with like the stork trying to bite at Monica's pant leg do fall flat. There are a fair amount of chuckles in how quickly Vision reads through the books on pregancies and the debate between William and Bobby and that's what they decide to name the twins and I admit the whole room leaking just as Wanda's water broke actually is a good laugh moment so props on them for that. Honestly the stuff with Doctor Nielsen also being grapped and not want to be flown around was also kind of funny but eh episode 2 probably still had the best scenario as the "having to pretend we're doing fake magic instead of actually really using our powers" is more clever then just reality warping around from this sort of mystical birth. Still I do like the hints we're getting now with everyone being trapped and yeah clear we're heading into 80's family sitcom stuff next time instead of this more Brady Bunch esque show which does feel weird to do when there isn't even the kids yet but eh still works enough. Hoping for more clues to pile up now that we're past the initial 3 episodes given to critics and now everyone's watching at the same time what's going to unfold.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
worst episode so far
I don't know why Elizabeth Olsen is still using that 50's/60's cadence.
So, apparently Wanda recognizes SWORD. And apparently you can be yourself in this matrix if you weren't an original inhabitant, but then it seems said original inhabitants are actively going along with the charade in fear of...
Vision is the only one being reset like an animatronic. The internal rules are all over the place, especially when the people of Westview just happen to realize which sitcom era they're being forced to live through.

Neo Ultra Mike

I don't know why Elizabeth Olsen is still using that 50's/60's cadence.

I'm guessing she's kind of overplaying the role because you can see her slip into regular talking and even her more Sokovian roots in scenes here.

Oh also two other things I thought about this episode I think are interesting.

1. With the varying theme songs (so glad they are switching considering how many theme song spoofs there are to use throughout the decades) I wonder if we're going to get a Too Many Cooks esque moment near the end where even the opening credits are catching onto the insanity of everything else that's going on.

2. I have no proof of this and I could be a 100% wrong but especially with the pietro twin reference... part of me wonders if one of the people behind this or is trying to use Wanda is revealed to be her father Eric aka Magneto who will be replayed by Ian McKellen. Probably like totally a 100% wrong on that one but for some reason or another maybe like the idea of having to hide her powers in this way and reality breaking is some sort of relation to mutants for whatever reason having been hidden and de powered due to some previously unexplored event and the work with the mind stone restored Wanda's powers so at the end of this she's going to wind up restoring mutants in the MCU prime dimension. Again just spitballing ideas but if it does happen I want points for calling it.

Frontier

Staff member
It makes sense that Vision is too methodical to not notice how weird everything is, and want to figure out what's happening, it's just he can't do much whenever his wife realizes he's suspicious :eek:.

So, yeah, rapid pregnancy, rapid birth...something is afoot. And then Wanda's powers go haywire. What was up with that stork though :confused:?

It was kind of funny seeing Wanda and Vision debating "Billy" and "Tommy" for the names of their kids when we know they're going to get twins, and it was neat how they came up with the names. I like that Wanda ends up naming the kid who most takes after Pietro while Vision names the child who ends up taking after Wanda :).

Herb pleasantly sawing through that wall like it was the most normal thing in the world, was...unsettling :oops:.

If 70's "Geraldine" is any indication, Teyonah Paris has the sass and confidence to play the proper Monica Rambeau ;).

We can now say Monica Rambeau was there to help Wanda deliver Speed :D.

Vision missed Tommy's birth, but he got to be there for Billy's :anime:.

It seems like the townspeople all realize to some extent they're trapped in there, even if the "plot" has to come up with reasons to keep them there, and that there's not much they can do about it other than play into the fantasy Wanda and Vision are stuck in. Herb sure was getting close though :quinn:.

Seeing the twins lets Wanda "break character" and finally remember Pietro in the first time he's been mentioned since AoU. Wanda even got her accent back for a quick second there :(.

Poor Monica. Getting reminded of Pietro made her think back to what she knew about the real world and she jumped at it, not knowing how much Pietro and Ultron are a sore spot for Wanda...especially when she's basically retreating from reality in Westview :ack:.

So, yeah, Wanda kicks Monica out. As creepy as that final scene is and as the look on Wanda's face is, I can't see them making her wholly responsible for this or turning her into a villain, so I feel like someone is orchestrating things and Wanda's just not in a state where she can think clearly enough to stop it or accept help from SWORD. It's all a matter of who is behind the scenes, and I think Agnes might know for sure :mad:.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
It's all a matter of who is behind the scenes, and I think Agnes might know for sure :mad:.
Seemed like they all know from the boss's wife to the neighbors and they just get demented from time to time because they can't maintain this fantasy. Vision is the outlier because his robot consciousness is the one actively being tampered with or he's not real whatsoever. Wanda is repressing her ghost of Vision to the extent that he can't snap her out of this. Monica made an attempt and paid the consequence.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I kinda think the reason Pietro wasn't brought back is that this AU Westview is Wanda or her subconscious' attempt to in a way rewrite only recent history. The series essentially starts in an ideal world where IW and EG never happened and unlike the start of IW, Vision and Wanda were able to successfully settle down in an ideal place and of course, Vision never died. So in this AU world, Pietro still died as well as their parents it seems.

I see a lot of people looking for Mephisto connections like Agnes saying "devil in the details" and all that. But in this episode, I've read the red smoke and Wanda being unable to dismiss the stork was another Mephisto clue.

I also like a lot of speculation the HYDRA soap and the tropical background was a nod to AOS with T.A.H.I.T.I. and Framework's HYDRA soap leading Framework Coulson to make his own.

Also upon the 3rd rewatch, I noticed the doll Vision picks up is the one Cindy Brady had on the Brady Bunch.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
WandaVision "Now In Color"

I was pretty accepting of the first two episodes but I have a lot to say about this week.

First off, I loved the last five minutes. I would say they were everything I love about television, but this show is sort of making it hard to make the distinction between television and filmmaking. This is certainly more ambitious than anything Marvel Television has ever attempted.

Who is Geraldine? Is she from our world? Is she tasked with bringing Wanda back? Are the army troopers seen at the end part of our Universe? What is the symbol on her necklace and what does it mean? Was Vision's neighbor about to suggest they were all dead? Is Geraldine actually good or bad? The most confusing thing to me is if this is either in Wanda's head, or a trap for Wanda, what is the point or purpose of the commercials? Why is she dreaming them and what do they signify? Some Marvel fans may simply be happy with the Easter Eggs from the comics but I'm not. They are the one part of the show I cannot quite seem to rationalize and that bugs me a little.

There is another thing that troubles me. I said last week that Paul Bettany was a gifted comedic actor. And he is. But despite the entire premise being a sitcom, I haven't laughed once. Maybe that's partly the point, because sitcoms in the 50's and 60's weren't actually funny (with maybe the exception of Dick Van Dyke) but stuff in the 70's sort of started to be, and the laughs are absent here too. I'm wondering why that is.

This show confuses me in a good way. Except for the commercials. They bother me because they seem less like an aspect of what is going on, and more like a conceit of the premise, which is not a great thing for a solid mystery to have. But that episode really got me thinking, and I am very interested to see how this plays out. ****1/2.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
But despite the entire premise being a sitcom, I haven't laughed once.
Third time in a row where the comedic writing and timing = someone failing to study all this overnight. This time, common phrases/retorts/conversations get laughs and emotional awes are poof'd in like a fart. I don't know what to make of a show where the audience is supposed to be uncomfortable watching a sitcom while it's structured like any other sitcom up until the breaks for the underlying plot.

Neo Ultra Mike

I kinda think the reason Pietro wasn't brought back is that this AU Westview is Wanda or her subconscious' attempt to in a way rewrite only recent history. The series essentially starts in an ideal world where IW and EG never happened and unlike the start of IW, Vision and Wanda were able to successfully settle down in an ideal place and of course, Vision never died. So in this AU world, Pietro still died as well as their parents it seems.

I'm not sure how much that is the case considering if she is trying to go for something from more "recent history" why is everything framed more like an old timey sitcom? Why not frame it more like how they were living in that one scene we saw of them in Infinity War before being attacked by The Black order if that's the case? I think there's more a reason for why we haven't really seen Pietro... I'm noping it's not a more casting reason of "didn't want to bother getting Aaron Taylor Johnson" back or anything and more a story reason but guess we'll see.

Hmm. I don't indulge in sitcom TV much as I did a few decades ago when I was a child but I've laughed a lot so far. Maybe I'm just an easy mark.

There haven't been any gut busting or like really peak hilarious jokes honestly but like stated before there have been some things that made me chuckle and yeah though I did grow up with some older sitcoms I don't hold too much fondness for them now so do think it is in their writing. I will say that this isn't like super hilarious or super witty writing either but not every Marvel movie has hilarious zingers. I admit Captain Marvel and Spider Man Far From Home had a bunch of groaner jokes as well and those weren't intentionally kicking back to this level of old school. I think once we get into the 80s and 90s period pieces though the comedy will come in more especially since now we'll be dealing with the two as parents which should have more zany scenarios involved.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think this version of Wanda and Vision have any memories of being Avengers or Superheroes (or if they did, it would probably be really colored by the sitcom situation) but whatever recreated Vision...it might have been too much to have recreated Pietro too, or it didn't need Pietro, even though Wanda would've obviously tried to bring him back too.
I see a lot of people looking for Mephisto connections like Agnes saying "devil in the details" and all that. But in this episode, I've read the red smoke and Wanda being unable to dismiss the stork was another Mephisto clue.
Agnes also once again said her husband "looks better in the dark." Who looks better in the dark than the devil :ack:?
I also like a lot of speculation the HYDRA soap and the tropical background was a nod to AOS with T.A.H.I.T.I. and Framework's HYDRA soap leading Framework Coulson to make his own.
And people thought Feige was going totally ignore AoS :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm not sure how much that is the case considering if she is trying to go for something from more "recent history" why is everything framed more like an old timey sitcom? Why not frame it more like how they were living in that one scene we saw of them in Infinity War before being attacked by The Black order if that's the case? I think there's more a reason for why we haven't really seen Pietro... I'm noping it's not a more casting reason of "didn't want to bother getting Aaron Taylor Johnson" back or anything and more a story reason but guess we'll see.
If she's thinking of an ideal family life with Vision, her subsconscious could be drawing from American sitcoms she's watched in Sokovia and/or binge watched post-AOU for that image of family and married life.

Frontier

Staff member
If she's thinking of an ideal family life with Vision, her subsconscious could be drawing from American sitcoms she's watched in Sokovia and/or binge watched post-AOU for that image of family and married life.
That seems to be the prevailing fan theory of why everything looks like American sitcoms. Her baby name was even an "ideal" name for an American boy.

reflection01

I think Pietro is in the show via Vision’s superspeed which isn’t one of his powers but was featured specifically in this episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neo Ultra Mike

And people thought Feige was going totally ignore AoS :p.

Well AoS has been brought up before not just in that way though another thought did occur to me. A lot of people always keep compaling in Age of Ultron about Tony Stark stupidly creating Ultron about his own worries and fears not realizing the scenario he's afraid of is what he's ultimately going to bring about constantly forgetting that Wanda's the one who manipulated him into thinking that way in the first place. And though obviously Tony creating Ultron weighed heavily as guilt for him in the following movies it is something that maybe Wanda could also be subconciously blaming on herself as well. As the one who made Tony built the machine that ultimately wound up killing her brother. Maybe that's why she hasn't brought it up before not wanting to think about that guilt and why she was so upset here at Geraldine/Monica for mentioning it. Like imagine a ghost image of Ultron or something mocking Wanda for helping create the thing that killed her brother that she couldn't save because despite all the power she has no the people around her keep dying. Like that could be such a powerful scene if handled well and in this sort of trippy show I could see them doing.

That seems to be the prevailing fan theory of why everything looks like American sitcoms. Her baby name was even an "ideal" name for an American boy.

Elizabeth Olsen has said in interviews that the Sokovian accent she had in Age of Ultron wasn't dropped and there is a point to her speaking with a more false one. And not the sitcomy voice either but the more general one so again hope that's something explored more in future episodes.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
wandavision.jpg

Episode 4 "We Interrupt This Program"
Monica Rambeau, tasked with a special assignment regarding sentient weapons, goes missing.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

"We Interrupt This Program" - I do wish that the previews of this episode didn't reveal we wouldn't just focus on Monica but also see Jimmy and Darcy back as though yeah those following the show knew they would be in it but did make it more apparent beforehand this would be a "focusing outside the town" kind of ep. Also though I do appreciate the build up and getting a fully different tone and yeah this is supposed to be a slow burn kind of series there was a bit too much of repeat especially since we're at the same place in episode 4 we were last episode... granted knowing a bit more about the circumstances but could of maybe ended more with Monica's debriefing. I guess also as this isn't a sitcom esque episode they also don't have the excuse of "well if you don't like the jokes blame on the era it comes from" since though there were a few kind of chuckle worthy moments (Darcy getting invested in the series, Jimmy talking about having his own child, how the guy's has mat suit turned into a bee keeper suit, "You were the best one for the job" "I was the only one for it" "That too") it didn't really have a laughs, but it didn't really try for a lot of laughs either. Since honestly a lot of this is nitpicking as I was very much intrigued with this episode not only for the mystery it set up here, but for what the ramifications going forward.

First off I love the fact we opened back with how Monica handled the blip. I know Spider Man Far From Home played the whole thing as an amusing joke but I do like the idea of going back and seeing how other specific shows or movies would handle that event in their own style considering how big a moment it was for Marvel. I also really like the idea of getting a feel for Monica through finding out that Maria died. Does feel kind of sad if you liked that character from Captain Marvel knowing she died off screen so yeah you aren't going to see Leshanna Lynch back in the MCU but I think it works especially since this is something I hope is addressed in Captain Marvel 2 since we know in that movie Carol and Monica are going to meet up again since I can see Monica holding possibly a grudge since though yeah she said "ally in space" here knowing Carol was around just flying through space while her mom died of cancer I could see being a thing. Also hope this leads to a moment between Darcy and Monica where Darcy admits one of her friends is also going through the cancer treatment, obviously referencing Jane and of course hinting at Thor Love and Thunder... but eh that's just a lot of speculation of events that are to come as I do want to talk about what we got here. As I do like actually seeing SWORD investigating what's going on and having set up this perimeter and obviously the events as even they have no idea why this Sitcom is playing out and those bits we saw in the last 3 eps them trying to get through to Wanda. Like reminds me of Annihilation (speaking of Natalie Portman) except this feels like a field even harder to "fight" once you become a part of it. So though we now know for sure SWORD is trying to observe and stop this effect from ballooning outward (part of me wants to think Hayward isn't no the up and up since yeah we know Fury is more in Space with the Skrulls as that part of SWORD thus isn't dealing more with earth affairs so there would be an earth based director but still seems odd this guy was chosen even if they make a joke about it) it still builds a mystery as to who exactly is fully behind this and specfiically why they are doing this.

And yeah this just can't be Wanda despite what Monica thinks. Like even here Wanda says "we can't leave" and though tries to frame it like she has control and this is her idea... yeah someone's obviously behind all of this and though we don't know why seems like it's to build something on our world with these radio wave energy broadcast signals going out. And I appreciate now having more characters on the outside being as confused as to what's happening but not having to obey the laws of sitcom and can try to find more clues. I have a feeling now we're going to see back and forth bits between SWORD trying to find answers as well as focusing on the sitcom inside but yeah intriguing stuff. I get why they didn't show this as part of the inital press screening as yeah people wouldn't focus on the sticom aspect if they had this episode here and honestly I appreciate how serious and procedual people are taking this. Like a lot of this is carried by Jimmy and Darcy who were the comic relief in their overly goofy movies in the MCU and though still having some wise cracks and jokes it's clear they are taking this far more seriously then those other movies which helps with the drama and severity of the situation. It's cool how we can get people operating on different tones to help feel the mood of a series which has been seen before in the MCU but in a way this feels more natural and props to this series for that and how connected this world feels so can't wait to see more going forward.

Oh also didn't have a place to put this more in the review proper but yeah pretty clear even moreso then Spider man Far From Home no one in the MCU's had time yet to build out their contacts with other sups who probably would be ignoring for the most part getting hassaled in any way by these guys thus a reason we probably won't see any other major MCU characters here. I still have a feeling we may see like Ian McKellen as Magneto in the last episode to try and set up a sort of reverse house of M ending but again just a theory I have no way of backing that up but again if I call it I want all the points for that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts