Walt Disney Treasures Nostalgia Thread

Pooky

Staff member
As a couple of us were discussing these in the Disney/Sony Thread, I thought it might be fun to see if posters have any fond (or otherwise) memories of these sets and their releases between 2001 and 2008.

I'm pretty sure the only sets ever released in the UK were the two Mickey Mouse colo(u)r sets, the Goofy set and the first Silly Symphonies and Chronological Donald sets. They were released a few years after they were released in the US, and I believe the first one I bought was Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 1, I think from the Disney Store, and again if I recall correctly it was around £20, which wasn't exactly cheap but pretty good at that point in time for how much is on the discs. The Donald and Silly Symphonies sets I bought when they were on sale in the much missed Woolworths store. The Goofy set I actually spent a pretty penny importing from the US; it was then given a late release in the UK, and by this point DVDs got pretty cheap pretty quickly and I saw it on sale for as little as £2.99 a few years after I imported it. Ah well, still great to have.

The Black & White Mickey and Oswald sets I imported from the US for fairly decent prices in the early 2010s. Coincidentally over the years I managed to pick up both of the Pluto sets from Charity Shops/Thrift Stores; Volume 2 a Region 1/US copy sometime in the late 00s, and a continental EU version of Volume 1 a few years ago; the solo Pluto shorts were never my favourites, but still good to have.

Volume 2 and 3 of the Chronological Donald I bought during a trip to Germany in 2015, where as we all know Donald is very popular; it was a triple pack so I had to double dip on a second copy of Volume 1, but well worth it as it was only something like 18Euros (although Commando Duck and Der Fuehrer's Face are missing for obvious reasons, and Donald's Crime is missing for no apparent reason)

Never owned Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio, but was able to rent it through a local library.

Of the others released, if I could I would certainly buy More Silly Symphonies, Disney Rarities and On the Front Lines, perhaps the Mickey Mouse Club sets if they weren't too expensive. My White Whale, of these releases and perhaps of all DVDs, is The Chronological Donald, Volume Four which got very expensive, very quickly and has some of my all time favourite shorts on it, particularly Donald's Diary. They're hardly impossible to see without the set, but still, I want them to be mine!

Over to you.

Dr.Pepper

I randomly got the Goofy and the first volume of black and white Mickey for Christmas one year.

Also my family had a few. I’m pretty sure we had the Silly Symphonies and probably volume one of Donald Duck. I’m thinking we also had like a Mickey Mouse Club or Davy Crockett one. Either my brother took them when he moved or they are buried in the garage at my parent’s house.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
The only set I bought when it was released at the time was the first season of Zorro, a series I had good memories of staying up to watch on Vault Disney for. I had a $100 Visa gift card, which could have afforded both seasons, but I decided to spend the other half on a copy of the Wii release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which had already gone out of print but my Sears still had a few copies of. Both of those are pretty hard to find now, so I don't think I necessarily made a bad decision.

Over the years, thanks to Disney Movie Rewards and second hand shopping, I've found more of the sets. I'm pretty interested in everything, as I'm a fan of both the studio's cartoons and its early television history. Not sure if I could pick a favorite, though.

Disney's DVD market back then was incredible, their bonus features were very well-made and had attention crafted to their studio's history. Besides the Treasures, their Platinum Collection DVDs were obviously immaculate (I still have my copy of their Aladdin DVD, as the Blu-Ray only ported part of its comprehensive documentary) and their Vault Disney series of live-action classics have impressive bonus features that I intend to hold onto. While I would like to see the classic shorts in HD, and not just cheapo releases like the couple we've seen, I worry that their eventual releases will be missing the thought and detail put into these sets.

Mejo

Just a standard Fox going about in the Wild West
I remember checking out the Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 2, Mickey Mouse in Black and White, Volume 2 and the More Silly Symphonies DVD's out from my local library. They were pretty good for their time (though the Silly Symphonies one DID contain a LOT of syncing errors and Black and White contained a LOT of incorrect recreated titles (including the infamous retitle of Fiddlin Around to Just Mickey). I really wish that Disney would remake this set for the modern day though (the prints look pretty weak by today's standards).

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Out of curiosity, and my ongoing plan to rearrange my collection, I've decided to catalogue the Treasures sets I own

Wave 1:
Disneyland, USA
Davy Crockett

Wave 2:
Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio

Wave 3:
Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 2
The Chronological Donald Volume 1
On the Front Lines
Tomorrow Land

Wave 4:
The Complete Pluto Volume 1

Wave 5:
The Chronological Donald Volume 2
Disney Rarities: Celebrated Shorts: 1920s-1960s

Wave 6:
The Hardy Boys
Your Host, Walt Disney

Wave 7:
The Adventures of Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit
Disneyland: Secrets, Stories & Magic

Wave 9:
Zorro Season 1

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts