Voice Casting Decisions That Didn't Come To Be

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
For any project in development, it will never 100% turn out as originally envisioned. This can include voice casting decisions that never came to be, whether it's due to wanting to take a character in a different direction or simply trying to find the right voice. That's what this thread is about, casting decisions that almost happened, but didn't. You then voice your opinion on whether you think it for the better or not. I'll give two examples, both involving Yuri Lowenthal on the opposing ends . For the Ben 10 reboot, he was considered to voice 10 year old Ben instead of Tara Strong, but she ended up back in the role while he was cast as Vilgax, and later on, Michael Morningstar. For Spiderman PS4, he almost didn't get to reprise the role of Spiderman, with AJ Locascio as one of the potential candidates.

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
I know one story along these lines: Orochimaru from Naruto. Way back in early 2006, Vic Mignogna flew out to LA from Texas to audition for the show because at the time it was the hottest anime property around. Vic auditioned for Orochimaru and apparently was first-choice for the part. However, Vic was still based in Dallas at the time and was not sure he wanted to leave his lucrative relationship with Funimation where he knew they would always have work for him. He passed on working on Naruto (for a few years at any rate), and Steven Jay Blum was brought in to replace him.

Now here is where it gets weird. Vic and Steve had already met on the convention circuit and became friends with each other. Steve had some knowledge of what happened and supposedly Vic gave him his blessing to take the role. Furthermore, Steve's voice for Orochimaru is supposed to be an impression of Vic's audition. So whenever you hear Orochimaru in English, it is essentially Steve Blum doing a stealth impersonation of Vic Mignogna. I think that would surprise a lot of people if they knew that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Phil Hartman was originally supposed to voice Zapp Brannigan on Futurama until he died and the role went to Billy West after all. The Philip in Philip J Fry was named after him.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Before he joined the voice cast of Star Wars Resistance, Christopher Sean auditioned for the role of Keith in Voltron: Legendary Defender before Steven Yeun was cast.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Nadji Jeter almost didn't reprise the role of Miles Morales for Spiderman PS4, with Zeno Robinson being one of the potential candidates.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
One of the few things Mars Needs Moms did right was that they replaced Seth Green (who did the motion capture for Milo and voiced him in the trailer) with an actual kid.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Before Zack Tyler Eisen voiced him, a pre-Hannah Montana Mitchell Musso voiced Aang in the original pilot of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
In the Gumball pilot, Gumball was voiced by Nicky Jones who did Chowder.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Mark Evanier intended to have Daws Butler and Jim Backus guest star in Garfield and Friends. Neither of them made it due to their health, with both dying not long afterward.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts