Voice actors in shockingly different roles than what they are known for

The Overlord

What are some examples of voice actors in shockingly different roles than what they are known for?

Kathryn Cressida is best known for playing DeeDee from Dexter's Laboratory, but she also played Bloody Mary, a sadistic mob hit man/serial killer in the video game Wolf Among Us.

Classic Speedy

Come back soon!
Staff member
Reporter
My go-to example is Monica Rial, who normally plays characters with high-pitched voices, playing the taciturn and lower-voiced jo in Burst Angel.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Lenore Zann is best known for voicing Rogue in X-Men: The Animated Series but she also voiced the tyrannical Master Cyclonis in Storm Hawks, whereas Hynden Walch is best known for voicing Starfire in Teen Titans but also voiced the antagonist Breach in Generator Rex.

disman00911

Jim Cummings is more known for his comedic-based voice roles (Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Pete, Taz in many post-1990 Looney Tunes projects, etc.) but also voiced the menacing and dictatorial Dr. Julian Robonik in the 1993 "Sonic the Hedgehog" SatAm cartoon (Not to be confused with the far more comical and hammy Dr. Ivo Robotnick in the "Adventures of Sonic of Hedgehog". Ironically, Cummings voiced that version of Robotnik in an unaired pilot and sounded more like Pete of the Disney cartoons).

Charlie Adler as Cobra Commander in "G.I. Joe Resolute" (2008/2009). More used to him in his comedy-based roles (both Cow & Chicken, Buster Bunny, Ed Bighead, etc).

In a video game example, Charles Martinet in many of his non-Mario roles, such as the dragon Paarthurnax from "The Elder Schrolls V: Skyrim".

In "Metal Gear Solid, the Twin Snake" (the remake of the PS1 original for the GameCube), the character Grey Fox is voiced by Rob Paulsen. Again, like with Cummings and Adler mentioned earlier, I'm more used to Paulsen's comedy-based roles (Yakko Warner, Pinky, PJ from "Goof Troop", etc.)

Last edited:

CeSquared

One role that I remember: Tress MacNeille, known for characters like Babs Bunny and Dot Warner, voiced the disturbing Antonia Chillingsworth in Dark Fury, the animated gap between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick.

^Ce2

cheril59

Mark Hamill has done good roles like Luke Skywalker and the Larry 3000, and evil roles like the Joker and Captain Stickybeard.

disman00911

In the early years of "South Park", Jay Leno voiced Cartman's cat, Mr. Kitty, in "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty...". Jerry Seinfeld voiced a turkey in the "Starvin' Marvin" episode. George Clooney voiced Stan's dog, Sparky, in the "Big Gay Al" episode. What makes these roles shocking as the animals don't actually talk and speak like their normal species dialect. In comparison, Jennifer Aniston did a more straight-forward guest voice role as a teacher in the episode where the kids are a field trip to a rainforest.

Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson.....in a 1992 episode of the live action TV Series "LA Law". Okay, the first part isn't so shocking but the LA Law part certainly is as that show is live action (and a court/legal drama) and not animation.

Tim Curry is known for his creepy or villainous character roles, meaning that his role as Nigel Thornberry in "The Wild Thornberries" is a bit of a shock as Nigel is mainly a good guy though he is rather eccentric.

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
Janyse Jaud who is well known for playing loud mouths like Sarah (Ed Edd n Eddy) and Lady Deathstrike in Hulk vs Wolverine and also voicing Kanna in Inuyasha who is extremely quiet and mostly talks in very low volumes, it's a complete hot cold polar opposite for those 3.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter
Was "Xiaolin Chronicles" dubbed in both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish, like "Xiaolin Showdown"?
It's fun to see James Sie talk about Jackie Chan Adventures.

Featured Posts