Viz Toys With Launching An Anime Network

Latest News & Videos

herbkir

info-maniac
May 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
Viz has posted a job opening for a marketing/consulting type to research the feasibility of launching a Viz Anime Network in the USA.

For anyone interested, go here:

www.viz.com/about/jobs/sm/mbaassist.php

Obviously, you'd need to know something about anime/manga, the entertainment industry, cable/satellite carriage and the Japanese language and culture. And it's only a summer job, but what an opportunity for a budding marketer or consultant.

I think ADV launching a traditional scheduled cable feed of the Anime Network was a wake-up call to Viz and the other USA distributors. And it also should be alerting the Williams Street folks. It's interesting that Viz is toying with the idea of launching its own anime network to compete with ADV.

If ADV succeeded in killing off Adult Swim, Toonami and the various other anime blocks on TV that offer teen/adult shows, then Viz and the other distributors would be stuck dealing with their chief rival in order to get anything other than childrens' fare on TV. And we fans would be denied a choice of networks. It'd be ADV or DVD, period. (^_*)

Go-chin

Avid Haruhi and Ouendan fan
Jan 15, 2004
Texas
/me imagines Ranma 1/2 airing at 4:00 PM

/me imagines the look of shock on the faces of mothers across the country

:evil:

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Arlington, VA
posted by Matt Wilson:

/me imagines people getting disappointed when this never happens.
Yeah, it sounds very unlikely. Much like the silly concept of the Anime Network--oh, wait.

Beat

Retired
Mar 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
lord dalek said:
Oh dear... Could Inuyasha be departing Adult Swim then we imagine?
That would be the final deathblow to adult anime on Cartoon Network.

But it won't happen. Two anime network's is overcrowding a niche market.

JShaggy

You Serious?!
Mar 23, 2003
Tennessee
VIZ launching its own anime channel is kinda too soon, come to think of it. The test market isn't big enough right now for there to be two anime channels competing against each other.

I think VIZ should wait about a couple of years and see how A.D. Vision's Anime Network does before they decide to "jump the gun" on us with their own network.

Jude Santos

Feb 10, 2002
GR, Michigan
Visit site
herbkir said:
If ADV succeeded in killing off Adult Swim, Toonami and the various other anime blocks on TV that offer teen/adult shows, then Viz and the other distributors would be stuck dealing with their chief rival in order to get anything other than childrens' fare on TV. And we fans would be denied a choice of networks. It'd be ADV or DVD, period. (^_*)
That will never happen. Maybe in 5 years or if anime network finds its way to basic cable.

livingfruitvirus

No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
Oct 16, 2001
Glendale, CA
www.101megahertz.com
herbkir said:
If ADV succeeded in killing off Adult Swim, Toonami and the various other anime blocks on TV that offer teen/adult shows
BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

but i guess that's why you said "if"

lord dalek said:
Oh dear... Could Inuyasha be departing Adult Swim then we imagine?
They couldn't just take it away like that. They'd literally have to buy the show back from CN.

herbkir

info-maniac
May 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
I think that the report to Viz will say that the present market won't support two 24/7 anime networks, and it's very questionable whether the national market will even support ADV's network. Biggest obstacles ADV and Viz face are: 1) Finding enough cable/satellite carriage at reasonable terms to make an anime network an attractive venue for advertisers. 2) Finding enough advertisers willing to place significant ad dollars into a very specialized channel.

Much as I love anime and manga, I realize that it's still a niche market. ADV and Viz are giants in the anime/manga field and are household words to fans. But the larger general public remains unaware of their existence, or of anime and manga for that matter.

The Anime Network (and any possible rival network) would have to be on a majority of the cable systems and on both satellite systems as a basic or 2nd-tier channel before it poses a major threat to CN/AS and the other anime outlets.

Hiring a summer temp to scope out the anime-network market doesn't represent much of a commitment for Viz, but it struck me as interesting that they'd do this just as ADV is moving beyond an on-demand network and launching a traditional linear cable feed for its Anime Network.(^_*)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long
I found this really short, yet sweet message that Abby Cadabby gave to a kindergartener named Teegan, who just graduated. What adds to this is how Leslie Carrera Rudolph went out of her way to give this message on her own time.