"Vixen" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

"Vixen" - Discuss and Rate this Animated Series!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss the first season of the animated series spinning out of Arrow and The Flash! New episodes debuting weekly on CW Seed and YouTube!

talkback.jpg

Vixen
Network: The CW Seed
Debut: August 25th, 2015

Synopsis: Originally from Africa, Mari McCabe's (voiced by Megalyn Echikunwoke) parents were killed by local greed, corruption, and wanton violence. But the orphaned Mari refuses to succumb to the terrors surrounding her. Inheriting her family's Tantu Totem, Mari can access the powers of animals—anything from the super-strength of a gorilla to the speed of a cheetah. As Vixen, she fights valiantly to protect the world from the threats like those that claimed her family.

Based on characters from DC Comics, Vixen is produced by Blue Ribbon Content and Warner Bros. Animation, with executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kriesberg.

Discuss this animated series!

Related Discussions
The Flash (2014) Season One Talkback (Spoilers)
Arrow Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Arrow Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
Arrow Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
So, what time will it be uploaded?

EDIT: Saw it, loved every second of what happened before the encounter with Flash and Arrow. My only con so far is that it should've been 5 minutes exactly instead of 3 minutes, without the opening and closing.

Last edited:

reflection01

Watched it on the Seed. Good start. I wasn't expecting profanity and a sexual reference.

When does it go up on YouTube?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Good start. The episode was kind of short but I thought they managed to use the amount of time pretty well. The chase scene at the beginning was probably the highlight. I wasn't expecting it to end on a cliff-hanger either. Looking forward to the rest.

Frontier

Staff member
We finally get the premier, however short, of the first animated entry in the DCTVU canon! And I have to say, I enjoyed it quite a bit :D.

I also wish we had a longer runtime for each episode, but I agree with Royal Rubble that I think the creators used what short time they had very effectively. With the first half we get some good action, showcasing both Mari, her powers, and the appearances of Flash and Arrow, while in the second half we get more into Mari's character and a bit of her background :).

The shadow animals used to show her powers is still very cool, even if I sometimes was confused over exactly which animal she was using, and the soon-to-be Vixen really gave Ollie and Barry a good challenge they obviously weren't expecting :cool:.

I like the touch of Mari being in Detroit and referencing Mari's modeling career with her being interested in fashion design ;).

So Mari was in jail for assaulting a guy who rejected her designs and then propositioned her for sex? Can't say I completely blame her, and it establishes well that she doesn't take crud like that from anyone and that she's got an aggressive side.

We also see that she has some identity issues, likely stemming from being an African woman raised by white foster parents after whatever happened to her real parents. Her necklace/totem being one of the only connections she has left to her family :(.

Mari's foster dad seems like a cool dude and a nice guy, in the same vein as Joe West or Henry Allen, though the family of the hero in the DCTVU tend to get in a lot of danger so I am a little worried about him :eek:.

Heh, "I get bored" :p.

TheLemsterPju

Wow. That was fast.

I must say, the animation is stellar, but a little stiff in a couple places. Kind of weird seeing Oliver with thick animated lips though. :D

Now much else to say other than I totally expected those thugs to show up at the end.

Troy Troodon

I wish it was at least ten minutes long, and had more voice actors as well. Animation is good to, but I kind'a wished Moi would add more phonemes to the lip sync. Also, what's up with Arrow's mouth?!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wish it was at least ten minutes long, and had more voice actors as well. Animation is good to, but I kind'a wished Moi would add more phonemes to the lip sync. Also, what's up with Arrow's mouth?!
Moi didn't animate this. Digital eMation did.

When does it go up on YouTube?
That is currently unknown. So far just featurettes on their YT page.

Lonewolf36

I would think they will wait till tomorrow before placing in on youtube if they place it on youtube.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Pretty interesting. Good start. But I have a feeling I will rather watch them all in a row than one a week. lol.

Are you sure, it's pretty similar, again right down to the lip sync.
I'm pretty sure I saw Digital eMation in the credits. It's possible they in turn farmed out some scenes to a unit at Moi.

EDIT: Yep. Digital eMation.
th_vixencredits13_zpsdzlut1fh.jpg

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
That ending felt straight out of a Boondocks ep. :D
The action was the ep's strong suit because everything else was meh. The animation was stiff/weird at the face level, the dialogue was alright and the voice direction could be better. Mari's dad is facially more emotive, which could just be a difference in character. Every time Green Arrow opened his mouth I was expecting an actual grunt or a snippet of dialogue. I didn't care for the exchange between Mari and the officers. The talk between Mari and her father was cliched.

I'm already feeling my "hype backlash", but there's still 5 more ep to go and my complaints could easily be chalked up to limitations on budget or experience.

Also, I'm not worried about the ep length because WB animation is more than capable with shorter miniseries even whilst developing an ongoing story.

Last edited:

Troy Troodon

After watching this episode, I wonder if they're gonna increase each one by one minute. Also, I kind'a did not like Kimberly Brooks as little Mari, would have preferred an actual child actress.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Good to hear the totem's comic origin is pretty much intact here in the Guggenverse. Even the M'Changa province. Laughed at the 52 reference.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Episode 2 was pretty good. Neat that it ran a little longer. I liked how they showed Mari using her powers, with all those shadows and stuff, I thought that was pretty creative. Great to learn some more about the totem's origin and purpose. The ending was pretty unexpected, or at least it caught me by surprise.

reflection01

I didn't like the use of shadows which obscured the animal whose power she was using. I don't want her to say something like "Power of a cheetah" but I do want it to be obvious what she's doing. It distinguishes her from just being an uber athlete superhero.

Why would a woman in her early 20s have looked up something in an encyclopedia 10 years ago?

Also I've never met anybody with three PhDs. Multiple master's degrees? Sure. But not multiple PhDs. There's no need for more than one in academia, not to mention how much time it would take. I've only seen it in TVs and movies as a way to stress how smart somebody is.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts