Vic Mignogna Controversies

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
People are still giving Vic Gofundme money, so his fanbase hasn't given up on him. The good news is that Yellowflash et al seem to have quit making Vic videos. Is Vicgate over?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Just read Resetera's thread and Vic's going for that appeal. Expect #IstandwithVic Youtube videos to return from the grave when it seemed like those videos were completely dead. Two people on his Gofundme just donated $1,000 to the cause. Giving $1,0000 to someone like Vic is just crazy. His fans are really nuts to give that much to him. I guess people are willing to give up that much in the name of anti-feminism.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Just read Resetera's thread and Vic's going for that appeal. Expect #IstandwithVic Youtube videos to return from the grave when it seemed like those videos were completely dead. Two people on his Gofundme just donated $1,000 to the cause. Giving $1,0000 to someone like Vic is just crazy. His fans are really nuts to give that much to him. I guess people are willing to give up that much in the name of anti-feminism.

I'm not sure if the appeal has been officially filed yet or if Vic's legal team is capable of filing something in on time, but I sadly wouldn't be surprised if it does happen. I honestly don't know why Vic would want to go for an appeal. Like I mentioned before, an appeal isn't an instant do-over. He wouldn't be able to add new evidence and the whole lawsuit being thrown out the window really doesn't help his case. All it's going is give him more legal fees to pay and bury his career even further into the ground.

He was already PR poison before the lawsuit, but suing his former employer and co-workers is really not a good look for Vic. If he really wanted to salvage his voice acting career, a better option would have been to accept consequences for his actions and take some time off to get some help. I don't think he would have been welcomed back with open arms at Funimation, but with a genuine apology and actually showing that he had improved, he might have been able to work in other studios. But that ship is long gone. I imagine most companies wouldn't be interested in hiring someone who has that many accusations and could easily choose to sue them if he wanted to do so.

The fact that at least two people willingly donated that much money for Vic's GFM is both depressing and upsetting at the same time. One thousand dollars is a lot of money. That can cover a few bills, groceries, and student loan payments. But at least two people decided that it should go to help a creep like Vic and ironically, the money will be going to pay for the defendants' legal fees. It just really makes me think that people are blinded to what Vic has done just because of their nostalgia for some of his voice acting roles. They don't care that they're throwing away money to help someone who already said that it wouldn't be his problem if the GFM turned out to be a scam. Vic does not care about his fans nearly as much as his fans care about him. Considering all of the charities and fundraisers for important issues, it's also just depressing that people are happily throwing their money away to help someone like Vic and to hate on women.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I'm not sure if the appeal has been officially filed yet or if Vic's legal team is capable of filing something in on time, but I sadly wouldn't be surprised if it does happen.

According to Greg Doucette, he legally can't until after the sanctions hearing, but his lawyer has broken enough rules that he might try to appeal early anyway.

Light Lucario

Staff member
According to Greg Doucette, he legally can't until after the sanctions hearing, but his lawyer has broken enough rules that he might try to appeal early anyway.

I wouldn't be shocked if he tries to appeal early either. Vic's legal team is pretty terrible and incompetent. I imagine that trying to appeal before he is legally allowed to do so would just make it that much harder for it actually go through.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Vic just got invited to another convention, Ohana Con in Hawaii. This one only charges $5 to get you in, so it must be really low budget and I have no idea how a $5 convention can afford any guests, even cheap actors like Vic and some guy who's so obscure he doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. Looks like he's still getting gigs, but probably really cheap ones as I wonder how much that con payed him.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I assume he'll get gigs at cheap cons and/or cons that don't care about the accusations or the safety/concerns of their guests. He is still very much PR poison for cons as well as studios, but some cons might be more willing to put up with Vic since they could still get some immediate money out of it from his fans/supporters. Studios wouldn't get immediate money from hiring Vic and if anything, being associated for a long period of time with him could do more damage to their shows. Not to mention the lawsuit shows that he's an active danger to both his co-workers and his employers.

Reactions: RDG

Light Lucario

Staff member
I didn't notice that myself. I thought that they mispelled his last name, but the fact that they called him Vig is hilarious.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That makes sense. I'm sure that none of them want to draw this legal nonsense out further with appeals, especially when I've heard that it can take a lot of time to go through them. It also seemed like a pretty bad idea to file an appeal before hearing how much Vic is going to have to pay in the first place, but his legal team is full of nothing but bad ideas.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Apparently some alt-righters are creating their own con, Otaku World Expo in Anaheim, which was apparently created solely to celebrate Vic. Their tweets and website are hilariously inept and they are tweeting at those annoying Youtubers. Here's what one Tweet from someone who's noticing how iffy this con is has to say,

This con's $70 pricetag is pretty ridiculous, when that's about the same amount as many three day events. I'm sure there any other con in California would be a better choice than this money sink. I thought that rip-offs and financial fraud cons were mainly an Arkansas problem.

Also, it's shocking how much #IStandwithVic merchandise is being sold online. Between the fraud con and the merch, Vic is like a money maker for the alt-right. So much to learn from Reset Era on the profit off of Vic controversy movement. No way a Vic centered convention can really work.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Apparently some alt-righters are creating their own con, Otaku World Expo in Anaheim, which was apparently created solely to celebrate Vic. Their tweets and website are hilariously inept and they are tweeting at those annoying Youtubers. Here's what one Tweet from someone who's noticing how iffy this con is has to say,

This con's $70 pricetag is pretty ridiculous, when that's about the same amount as many three day events. I'm sure there any other con in California would be a better choice than this money sink. I thought that rip-offs and financial fraud cons were mainly an Arkansas problem.

I heard about this as well. Those price tags are insane, especially for a first time convention. I wouldn't pay five hundred dollars to go to something like Comic Con, let alone a con seemingly designed to celebrate Vic. I've only been to a couple of cons and they were relatively small local ones, so I don't know how expensive prices can be. I think that the most I had to pay to get into a con was around thirty to forty dollars. I thought that was a bit expensive for one day too, but at least that was manageable and fairly reasonable. Who has honestly has the extra cash to pay five hundred dollars for a two day pass. Even the seventy dollar price tag is way too much.

At best, it sounds like it's run by someone who doesn't know how to run or finance an anime convention. At worst, it's a flat out scam. Neither option sounds particularly good and they're just going to lose money.

PicardMan said:
Also, it's shocking how much #IStandwithVic merchandise is being sold online. Between the fraud con and the merch, Vic is like a money maker for the alt-right. So much to learn from Reset Era on the profit off of Vic controversy movement. No way a Vic centered convention can really work.

This is sadly not surprising considering that the alt right crowd pretty much embraced Vic as the nice Christian white guy being targeted by women during the #MeToo era. It does make it even more pathetic when some of the same people who think that the victims are trying to milk the controversies in an attempt to get more attention are also buying that junk. It's just complete waste of time and money to design and sell that nonsense.

A Vic centered convention definitely can't work. Even during his peak of popularity, I don't think that a con centered around him could have worked, if only because cons usually need at least a couple more guests than just one. They're banking on Vic still having support and relevancy within a year, which isn't really a good bet. He'll probably still appear at some small cons or cons that don't care about his accusations, but the chances of the die-hard Vic supporters still being around seem pretty slim to me. There is a much better chance that they'll just move onto something else. Not to mention the chances of Vic getting a new role anytime soon are pretty nonexistent. Why bother hiring someone like Vic when there are plenty other more popular/more relevant voice actors that they could get instead?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I've only been to a couple of cons and they were relatively small local ones, so I don't know how expensive prices can be.

This is about the same price as three day events at 10,000+ person cons like Wichita Anime Festival or Tokyo in Tulsa. The things is that those cons last three days and have a much more robust guest list and a much more interesting set of activities than worshiping Vic. Even with the benefit of being in California, I'm sure that both those cons will still have significantly higher attendance than Vic Con because people will see this is a scam con. Would be shocked if attendance reaches 4,000. It doesn't seem worth the money and California has so many competing anime cons with established fanbases and competent management.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is about the same price as three day events at 10,000+ person cons like Wichita Anime Festival or Tokyo in Tulsa. The things is that those cons last three days and have a much more robust guest list and a much more interesting set of activities than worshiping Vic. Even with the benefit of being in California, I'm sure that both those cons will still have significantly higher attendance than Vic Con because people will see this is a scam con. Would be shocked if attendance reaches 4,000. It doesn't seem worth the money and California has so many competing anime cons with established fanbases and competent management.

I'm sure that it also helps that those cons are more well established and have sponsors. A first time con really shouldn't be this expensive since they aren't going to turn out any kind of profit. Even if this didn't involve Vic, it would still be really suspicious, if not read like a blatant scam. I'd be surprised if they have any kind of large attendance or if the con happens at all. With prices like that, I'm not sure if they'll have enough interest or financial resources to keep it going.

People already fell for the GFM campaign, so some of his die hard fans might buy a ticket and I wouldn't feel bad for them either. If they want to waste money on a suspicious at best new con that wants to primarily focus on a creep like Vic, then that's their choice.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts