Vic Mignogna Controversies

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
The reason 4chan is targeting me is because I mentioned their insults towards this forum here. They created a thread complaining about how awful this community is and have singled out me and Light Lucario as their favorite members to make fun of for our opinions on stuff.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The reason 4chan is targeting me is because I mentioned their insults towards this forum here. They created a thread complaining about how awful this community is and have singled out me and Light Lucario as their favorite members to make fun of for our opinions on stuff.

Well that sadly isn't surprising that they'd lash out over a reason like that. I'm also not surprised that they're targeting me as well. Just like with Kiwi Farms, I don't want to deal with their nonsense, so that's my response to them insulting me behind my back. It's almost amazing just how terrible a lot of Vic supporters are. Those kind of fans/supporters certainly aren't helping him as far as I'm concerned. I can understand why you're upset about 4chan insulting you like that, PicardMan, but I don't think we should spotlight sites gossiping about this site or other members. We don't want to give them more attention.

I also just listened to a recording where Vic said and defended the saying "Silence is consent." That was mentioned in at least the i09 article about him, but hearing it was a thousand times worse. It really shows that he has no understanding of consent, that he has always been a giant creep and these consequences for his actions/behavior have been a long time coming. I already was hoping that he'd be blacklisted from the voice acting community, which seems pretty darn likely, but I hope that he isn't close to children after all of this is said and done.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
I think it's best to move this conversation away from what 4chan is saying about us. We got nothing to prove to them, so let them stew in their own pots.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah. I'll try to calm down and just know that some people are nasty. Just block them out and shake it off.

Light Lucario

Staff member
So the motion to dismiss the case has been released to the public and it included some new information. Kara Edwards, another voice actress from Funimation who voices Videl and Goten from DBZ/Super, was also sexually harassed by Vic multiple times. Reading her affidavit was quite depressing. He attempted to sleep with her, despite knowing that she was married at the time and he was still in a relationship with Michele. He even called her hotel phone during the first incident because she wouldn't answer the door and attempted again when she was going through a divorce. It was truly disturbing to see how intent he was on trying to force himself on her during different conventions and making her feel so uncomfortable. I don't recall if she described her experiences with Vic before, but I do recall seeing her make statements in support for victims like Monica and Jamie.

There was also a statement from a former Funimation employee who described locks meant to separate voice actors and staff members as "Vic Locks". Unsurprisingly, this sadly confirms that Funimation was aware of Vic's behavior, to some degree at least, and enabled him for years. This is a pretty common practice within the entertainment industry. Vic was popular and involved with some of their biggest series, so of course they kept him on board in spite of his frequent inappropriate behavior. I don't give Funimation for firing Vic when they should have done that ages ago, but I'll admit that their response to the lawsuit is still pretty satisfying, especially calling Vic liable-proof. That sounds more and more accurate with each bit of information that comes out, including what Vic has said himself in his own deposition.

The most heartbreaking and possibly most damaging affidavit came from Michele, Vic's ex-finance. It included an email she sent to him back in March. I already felt terrible for her, but after reading the email, I was a bit depressed for most of yesterday. I could feel all of her anger with every sentence. She called Vic out for everything. All of the years he cheated on her, including with cosplayers and fans some of whom were underage at the time, having multiple serious relationships while they were engaged, gaslighting her whenever she questioned his behavior and always denying these accusations as an attempt to save face. She went through so much trauma herself and it is truly heartbreaking that she spent so much time in this relationship. And his response was rather telling as well. Despite mentioning pretty much everything that Vic is suing Monica and Jamie for, Vic didn't deny anything Michele accused him of. He only gave a pathetic halfhearted apology, which might be too generous of a description, and then focused more on himself at the end. This also makes his lawsuit even more pointless. He knows the truth, or at least some part of him does, but he went through this defamation lawsuit because he wanted to silence/punish the women who spoke out against him. It's no wonder he's siding with/condoning the actions of alt-right members who clearly hate women.

It is amazing that every time I think that this situation couldn't get any worse, there's a new bottom to the barrel. Even though learning about all of this is rather depressing, I would rather learn what Vic has done instead of remaining in the dark or denying it. Vic's reputation was already beyond repair, but these depositions and affidavits make it even worse for him. I sadly wouldn't be surprised if he still gets invited to some cons. He is still a big name among dub voice actors and plenty of cons clearly didn't care about his infamous reputation before either, but Vic is almost certainly done as a voice actor. With these kind of statements, some coming straight from Vic himself, I don't know what company would want to be associated with him at this point.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Surprisingly Twitter is still a place with a huge pro Vic majority. I would think the idea of him being a Christian role model has been tossed out the window with the fact that he has admitted to breaking at least 5 Biblical commandments under oath. If I called the 700 Club, I'd be shocked if Pat Robertson would stand with Vic. Of course, the only illegal thing he explicitly admitted to doing was hiring hookers (I assume past the statute of limitations) so it looks like the pro Vic arguments are less about him being a model of Christian ideals than it was before and more about him being a law abiding citizen (prostitutes notwithstanding). At best, Vic is an unfaithful sleaze who emotionally betrayed his fiance and is about as bad as Jimmy Swaggart or Bill Clinton.

Jamie Marchi's deposition was recently done and I wonder what information there is. Monica Rial's deposition is supposed proof that she is an evil liar and we'll see how this goes. It doesn't look like anybody who's not#IstandwithVic has really analyzed her deposition and it seems like there are two big pieces used against her. Firstly, the fact that one of the witnesses didn't remember an incident she brought up (the forcible kiss at the hotel room that Io9 reported), and her conduct with Vic. The various Youtube videos of her hugging Vic were used by his lawyers and #IstandwithVic to prove that she was not an assault victim. She responded by saying that it was a "work thing." This was a contradiction to her saying that "hugging is looked down upon in the work place." Vic's side is salivating thinking they got her.

Chuck Huber has an interesting and shocking interpretation of the lawsuit. He seems to believe that Vic is a sex offender of sorts, but is forgivable. Even though he did lots of bad things, he believes that Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi are exaggerating his misdeeds. He believes that Vic deserves a second chance and is owed an apology. It is possible Vic wins if the judge thinks like that, so even Vic being a predator doesn't make this case unwinnable for him according to some.

Can't wait for this all to end and the verdict to come in because this is ugly.

Reactions: RDG

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
You would? He stands with Trump. And Trump is worse.

Yeah. Maybe he would forgive Vic like he forgave Swaggart. I guess if you commit sexual sin, it's okay if you feel bad about it and preach about Jesus. He at least lambasts ordinary people who have sex outside of ways the Bible endorses. Maybe James Dobson from Focus on the Family would be a better example of a Christian right spokesperson who'd be appalled by Vic's sexual behavior, although they'd probably share the same stance on homosexuality.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Surprisingly Twitter is still a place with a huge pro Vic majority. I would think the idea of him being a Christian role model has been tossed out the window with the fact that he has admitted to breaking at least 5 Biblical commandments under oath. If I called the 700 Club, I'd be shocked if Pat Robertson would stand with Vic. Of course, the only illegal thing he explicitly admitted to doing was hiring hookers (I assume past the statute of limitations) so it looks like the pro Vic arguments are less about him being a model of Christian ideals than it was before and more about him being a law abiding citizen (prostitutes notwithstanding). At best, Vic is an unfaithful sleaze who emotionally betrayed his fiance and is about as bad as Jimmy Swaggart or Bill Clinton.

It isn't that too surprising. A lot of Vic's die hard fans/supporters would move the goal posts after finding out that he isn't the ideal Christian man he kept describing himself as all this time. Plus, cheating and having multiple affairs isn't really a deal breaker for the alt right, or even a lot of Christian families for that matter.

PicardMan said:
Jamie Marchi's deposition was recently done and I wonder what information there is. Monica Rial's deposition is supposed proof that she is an evil liar and we'll see how this goes. It doesn't look like anybody who's not#IstandwithVic has really analyzed her deposition and it seems like there are two big pieces used against her. Firstly, the fact that one of the witnesses didn't remember an incident she brought up (the forcible kiss at the hotel room that Io9 reported), and her conduct with Vic. The various Youtube videos of her hugging Vic were used by his lawyers and #IstandwithVic to prove that she was not an assault victim. She responded by saying that it was a "work thing." This was a contradiction to her saying that "hugging is looked down upon in the work place." Vic's side is salivating thinking they got her.

Of course people are using her deposition and video as proof that she's a liar. I don't think it's a problem that one the witnesses didn't remember that incident. That it obviously would have helped, but I don't think that necessarily means that Monica lied, especially when there are other accusations of similar behavior with different people. It's also another sign why the hard core supporters are giant hypocrites. Vic said a ton of times during his own deposition that he couldn't remember a bunch of information that was pretty key. When Vic can't remember something, it means that he's winning, but when one of Monica's supporters can't remember something, it means that they're liars. They are so blatantly sexist that it is just disgusting to read. I honestly don't think that there would be anywhere near this much backlash if most/all of Vic's victims were male instead. Obviously, male victims of sexual abuse/harassment don't have an easy time either, but there have been men who spoke out against Vic and/or in support of the victims. I don't think that they have had to deal with as much harassment as Monica, Jamie and possibly now Kara have for speaking up.

The video of them hugging is also pretty pathetic proof. She'd have to put on a friendly demeanor with Vic. I don't recall Monica saying that hugging was looked down upon at work, but I really wouldn't bother listening to anyone on YouTube about this situation, least of all Vic's so-called legal team. I'd rather not give attention to the kind of people who harass and doxx sexual assault victims or treat women with absolute disgust.

PicardMan said:
Chuck Huber has an interesting and shocking interpretation of the lawsuit. He seems to believe that Vic is a sex offender of sorts, but is forgivable. Even though he did lots of bad things, he believes that Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi are exaggerating his misdeeds. He believes that Vic deserves a second chance and is owed an apology. It is possible Vic wins if the judge thinks like that, so even Vic being a predator doesn't make this case unwinnable for him according to some.

No, that isn't going to happen because that's not what this case is about. This case isn't about determining whether or not Vic is a sex predator, even though he most certainly is. Vic is suing them for defamation. He has to prove that Monica, Jamie and Funimation knowingly spread false information about him with the intent to damage his reputation. I don't think exaggerating his misdeeds qualifies for actual malice and he would have to prove that their statements actively hurt his reputation, which he hasn't done. In fact, Vic said so multiple times during his deposition that he couldn't prove how they were able to ruin his reputation. He even said rumors have been circling around him for years, making it harder to pin all of the so called damages on the people he's suing.

If anything, Chuck Huber's proposed apology that he wrote for Vic is most likely going to hurt his case even further. If people close to Vic like his ex-finance and Chuck are calling him out for basically everything he's suing Monica, Jamie and Funimation for, then Monica and Jamie's accounts aren't going to come off as exaggerations to the judge. In the apology Chuck wrote out, he had Vic accept that he is a sex addict and that he was going to take time off to seek help for his behavior. This was setup before the lawsuit went through, but he wanted Monica and Jaime to basically retract their statements in the process because he doesn't think that they're real victims of sexual assault. He was being a huge victim blaming creep, as well as an enabler for Vic most likely, so I don't have the highest opinion of him right now either.

Vic would have to show that he deserves another chance and considering how long this behavior has been on-going for him, I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to give him one. He most likely has been given multiple second chances over the years only to waste them all. Vic's first known attempt at sexual assault happened at least thirty years ago. This court case and by extension the truth coming out of just what a vile person Vic truly is has been a long time coming. I am glad that people are speaking out against him and that he is getting at least some consequences for his behavior, but the fact that it has taken this long for any of this to happen is quite depressing in itself.

PicardMan said:
Can't wait for this all to end and the verdict to come in because this is ugly.

Unfortunately, that's going to take awhile. I don't know how long they'll take in deciding on this case, but Vic is definitely going to lose, or at least the case will be tossed out. Vic has no legal leg to stand on here and it is so painfully obvious. I don't know if they'll go for appeals, but that is a possibility. Hopefully the disgusting YouTube supposed lawyer has his license removed since I'm pretty sure that he's crossed a few lines, if not just flat out made some illegal decisions, with leaking Vic's depositions and increasing his army of supporters from the alt right/women hater groups. Not to mention the fallout from this case is going to last awhile. A lot of the die hard supporters are going to keep supporting Vic until they get a not guilty verdict. Some of these supporters also took the notion that Vic had sex with so many people as a sign of proud masculinity, so people like that are far too gone. Things will hopefully cool down eventually, but it will take some time unfortunately.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah. Maybe he would forgive Vic like he forgave Swaggart. I guess if you commit sexual sin, it's okay if you feel bad about it and preach about Jesus. He at least lambasts ordinary people who have sex outside of ways the Bible endorses. Maybe James Dobson from Focus on the Family would be a better example of a Christian right spokesperson who'd be appalled by Vic's sexual behavior, although they'd probably share the same stance on homosexuality.
No, Dobson would defend him too. It's not about sinful behavior. It's about controlling women and hating the right people. And that's all the "Christian" right cares about.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
No, Dobson would defend him too. It's not about sinful behavior. It's about controlling women and hating the right people. And that's all the "Christian" right cares about.

But Focus on the Family does seem to really hate sexual infidelity. Their page on infidelity attack a few men like TIger Woods, David Letterman, and Larry King. I do know that Dobson does believe in strict gender roles and women's subservience, but I don't know for sure if that overrides his organization's views on sexual purity. Well, I guess there's not really that much reason to speculate about how certain political/religious personalities would feel about Vic because the world of anime is so obscure to them. It would be cool to imagine some Christian figure calling him out on breaking the seventh commandment, but it seems like a lot of the famous ones are notorious for hypocrisy.
Greg Doucette has stated that none of the depositions are available to the public right now and that NIck Rikieta leaked them under the guise of being a journalist. Only Vic's was transcribed as a public record. I guess that is the reason why typing Monica Rial or Jamie Marchi deposition doesn't give you any transcripts for their depositions, but 90% peanut gallery commentary from people who watch Rikieta's show. Being put up by Rikieta is probably why mostly Vic's supporters have provided Twitter commentary. It takes lots of scrolling to see Dominique Skye tackle the issue. It was quite brave of her to wade through the politically incorrect Internet shock jock who wears blackface's BS to refute it. Considering the fact that these people on Twitter have been so nasty to Monica, I support her decision of actively trying to refute them instead of just ignoring them. I personally support those on Twitter brave enough to provide a voice in support of the women getting attacked. I guess the militant harassment by pro-Vics is why you have to scroll way down to see dissent on Twitter

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
But Focus on the Family does seem to really hate sexual infidelity. Their page on infidelity attack a few men like TIger Woods, David Letterman, and Larry King. I do know that Dobson does believe in strict gender roles and women's subservience, but I don't know for sure if that overrides his organization's views on sexual purity. Well, I guess there's not really that much reason to speculate about how certain political/religious personalities would feel about Vic because the world of anime is so obscure to them. It would be cool to imagine some Christian figure calling him out on breaking the seventh commandment, but it seems like a lot of the famous ones are notorious for hypocrisy.
It doesn't matter. Vic is One Of Them. Therefore his behavior is okay. That's how it works for all of the rightwing outfits.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It doesn't matter. Vic is One Of Them. Therefore his behavior is okay. That's how it works for all of the rightwing outfits.

I don't really think all conservatives and republicans are like that. A good number of the famous firebrands maybe, but that seems like too big a net to cast. I would be surprised if we did a seance for Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and Bush Sr. that all of them would be rape apologists. I live in the reddist part of the country and many women here support the GOP. Okay, I think the political talk is derailing the thread from being about Vic.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't really think all conservatives and republicans are like that. A good number of the famous firebrands maybe, but that seems like too big a net to cast.
Anyone who sticks up for Trump will stick up for Vic.
I would be surprised if we did a seance for Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and Bush Sr. that all of them would be rape apologists.
I doubt they would be either. But that's how far the GOP has fallen since they died. HW and Barbara didn't vote for Trump either. Neither did W or McCain. I respect that.
I live in the reddist part of the country and many women here support the GOP.
That's not a defense.
Okay, I think the political talk is derailing the thread from being about Vic.
I agree. But I'm also not going to listen to anyone defend Dobson on this issue. His silence is deafening. He's a bad guy.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I agree. But I'm also not going to listen to anyone defend Dobson on this issue. His silence is deafening. He's a bad guy.

Okay, I'm only familiar with him from what he preached in the 2000s, being more obsessed with sexual purity than anything. He was into that "don't hold hands, kiss, or hug people from the opposite sex in the front until marriage." Okay, I thought this was pretty ridiculous as a teen, but his views at that time seemed like he would oppose Vic. Maybe he got looney now. Okay, there are many things about views that were always problematic, like his views on homosexuality and his stance on how to raise children are really problematic, but I wasn't aware of any misogyny.

As for the GOP, the party itself is probably messed up. I don't know much or get involved in politics, but my mom and female bestie are very vocal GOP people and I think they are good people. I guess I can understand talking smack to the party leadership, but I kind of get annoyed at the idea that all people who identify as Republican are evil.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
As for the GOP, the party itself is probably messed up. I don't know much or get involved in politics, but my mom and female bestie are very vocal GOP people and I think they are good people. I guess I can understand talking smack to the party leadership, but I kind of get annoyed at the idea that all people who identify as Republican are evil.
I don't actually think all Republicans are racist or evil. But it is very clear being racist and evil is not a deal-breaker in who they vote for. And that's almost as bad.

I don't have political differences with Republicans anymore. I am personally conservative myself. I have moral issues with them, and disagree with them about common decency and how to treat other people. Dobson has always treated women and minorities like crap, and his family values are entirely selective in who he preaches against.

This is fundamentally Vic's problem, and the problem with his enablers. I can't actually argue with them about decency, because we have very different values about what decency actually is. I find modern supposedly Christian values wholly immoral, and antithetical to Jesus's teachings, and everything my pastor taught me growing up.

For the record, liberal Churches rock. You need to find one. They are awesome.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This feels like a good stopping place for my part in this phase of the conversation. If you have any more questions about this specific tangent feel to PM me. The thread has gotten off-topic enough and I apologize for my role in that.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
I appreciate you guys taking the religious discussion to PM, but I went ahead and deleted the last few comments because it is wildly off-topic and goes against our rules.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts