Vic Mignogna Controversies

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Yeah, that is a pretty huge amount, much more than what he has from the GFM. It will be even larger if Vic does continue with the appeal. He probably will since he doesn't seem to realize, or possibly doesn't want to realize, that he has no case and this lawsuit, as well as his supporters, have done far more harm to his career than anything the people he's been suing have said about him. I just have no sympathy for Vic at this point. He has no one to blame but himself.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I've been offline for most of last month, but I wanted to tell you guys about what happened at GalaxyCon where I met with Chris Sabat again. I had met him once a long time ago during the Dragon Ball Z Hummer tour several years back. Anyway, I brought my Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood DVD cover to get signed, and he noticed Vic Mignogna's signature on it. He jokingly suggested he should sign over it, and I agreed. I said he could sign where ever he liked. The woman after me agreed. We all had acknowledged how awkward and ugly everything was. In the end, Sabat decided to sign elsewhere.

I still have a few things signed by Mignogna including a douga or genga of Edward Elric which is actually worth something by itself. Now I wish I didn't have it signed by Mignogna along with the other DVD covers and sets I had gotten signed.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I've been offline for most of last month, but I wanted to tell you guys about what happened at GalaxyCon where I met with Chris Sabat again. I had met him once a long time ago during the Dragon Ball Z Hummer tour several years back. Anyway, I brought my Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood DVD cover to get signed, and he noticed Vic Mignogna's signature on it. He jokingly suggested he should sign over it, and I agreed. I said he could sign where ever he liked. The woman after me agreed. We all had acknowledged how awkward and ugly everything was. In the end, Sabat decided to sign elsewhere.

I still have a few things signed by Mignogna including a douga or genga of Edward Elric which is actually worth something by itself. Now I wish I didn't have it signed by Mignogna along with the other DVD covers and sets I had gotten signed.
I still have an Ouran High School Host Club picture signed by him. The only reason I haven't torn it up yet is because two other voice actors also signed it. I may still use white out on it one of these days. I'm glad that your meeting with Chris Sabat went well though. From what I've heard, he sounds like a pretty nice person and after being targeted for that smear campaign awhile ago, I'm kind of glad that he can jokingly suggest signing over Vic's name like that.

I forgot. I was happy though that the woman behind me knew about the situation and was NOT a Mignogna supporter.
I honestly don't see a lot of women supporting Vic at this point. There definitely are, especially when his fanclub is primarily full of teenage girls/young adult women, but from what I've seen, most of his die-hard supporters at this point aren't women.

Reactions: slai and RDG

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Yeah, the problem with most of the items Mignogna signed for me have multiple voice actor signatures on them and, in the case for my Ouran High School Host Club box, actually houses the DVDs themselves. The douga or genga (drawing used to make the actual frame for animation) was I think $60 or more since it’s a nice face front eyes open key animation frame drawing, so it’s actually worth money by itself. It’s the only item Mignogna signed by himself. I feel like if I get rid of it, it would be like tearing up $60+. I could sell it I guess, but I it’s almost like selling poison.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Chupp's final ruling, and Vic only owes about $250K, about half as much as everyone estimated and Jamie and Monica still have to pay their lawyers a little bit of money. I guess Vic's lawyers actually kinda won a battle, but Vic's score is -250K instead of -500K. The defendants want to cross appeal provided Vic still goes with the appeal to attempt to result in Vic having to pay ALL of the attorney fees. Is Vic still going through with the appeal?

Reactions: RDG

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Chupp's final ruling, and Vic only owes about $250K, about half as much as everyone estimated and Jamie and Monica still have to pay their lawyers a little bit of money. I guess Vic's lawyers actually kinda won a battle, but Vic's score is -250K instead of -500K. The defendants want to cross appeal provided Vic still goes with the appeal to attempt to result in Vic having to pay ALL of the attorney fees. Is Vic still going through with the appeal?
They really didn't win anything. That's still a ton of money that he'll have to pay out of his own pocket. He does have the GFM, but that most likely was already used to pay his own lawyer fees. Besides that, Vic threw Nick under a bus during the hearing last week. He claimed that he barely knows Nick, despite how they've met at least a couple of cons, and that he wasn't involved in a court case before. If his lawyers did anything to help him with this situation, it was their immense incompetent that made it look like Vic was being strung along by his own legal team. It's also possible that the amount is lower than expected so that encourages Vic to not go for appeals. It's more like a hint to quit while he's behind as opposed to Vic actually winning something. Interestingly enough, he also claimed that he filed this lawsuit to save his reputation, but taking this to court just utterly destroyed his reputation.

Vic, for all intent and purposes, completely lost. He may have to pay less than estimated and given that he likely was trying to silence his victims through this lawsuit, I can see how that might be upsetting. I'm more annoyed at the notion that Monica and Jamie might have to pay their lawyers a little bit of money myself. However, that doesn't really change the actual outcome. All of Vic's claims were tossed out of court, Jamie and Monica's voices were heard and Vic is still going to have to pay a large sum of money for this legal mess. This is still pretty huge. Monica and Jamie als still have careers, while Vic does not.

Just because it isn't the huge amount people expected doesn't mean that Vic or his lawyers won. The only people who would see it like that are the hard core Vic supporters. The chances of Vic appealing despite this heavy loss are still pretty likely unfortunately. Vic really doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and he's quite blind to his own behavior, so he'll keep pushing this lawsuit.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Maybe Vic playing the victim card by portraying himself as somebody who was duped by Rikieta caused the judge to have mercy on him. I know that Chupp didn't seem to buy the defense's argument that the Gofundme merited higher fees and sanctions and I'm not sure I get why Chupp threw out that argument. Not an expert in law. The mercy cut in fees didn't seem to be anything brilliant Vic's legal team did, but probably as an act of mercy on Chupp's part. The fact that the fees were less than what Funimation's lawyer Lemoine wanted shows he wasn't quite perfect, but he most importantly won and helped the lawsuit get dropped. It did seem like Vic's legal team actually helped Funimation better than Lemoine. Chupp seemed to view him as a long winded windbag but he actually was competent. Still wonder what Greg Doucette's commentary on the sanctions and fees are.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Maybe Vic playing the victim card by portraying himself as somebody who was duped by Rikieta caused the judge to have mercy on him. I know that Chupp didn't seem to buy the defense's argument that the Gofundme merited higher fees and sanctions and I'm not sure I get why Chupp threw out that argument. Not an expert in law. The mercy cut in fees didn't seem to be anything brilliant Vic's legal team did, but probably as an act of mercy on Chupp's part. The fact that the fees were less than what Funimation's lawyer Lemoine wanted shows he wasn't quite perfect, but he most importantly won and helped the lawsuit get dropped. It did seem like Vic's legal team actually helped Funimation better than Lemoine. Chupp seemed to view him as a long winded windbag but he actually was competent. Still wonder what Greg Doucette's commentary on the sanctions and fees are.
Vic portraying himself as being tricked by his legal team could have been a factor in this decision too. While it is questionable just how informed Vic was about the whole legal mess of this lawsuit, the fact that he just blindly trusted his lawyers is still a big red flag. He may have been duped, but Vic has been surprisingly unaware of a lot of details for a lawsuit that he filed. The lower fees being an act of mercy from the judge is possible too.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I wasn't expecting Johnny Yong Bosch to voice Broly, but that does make sense. He has had roles that involve a lot of yelling, like in Bleach, so I imagine that he can pull that off for Broly. I've liked a lot of Johnny Yong Bosch's roles and from what I can tell, he seems like a pretty nice person, so I'm glad that he's getting another role.

I doubt that they'd redub the movie in order to include his new voice, but if Broly ever appears in any new anime material the comes over, then I suspect that they'll give the role to Johnny Yong Bosch to be consistent with the games. I just hope that the hard core Vic supporters don't start harassing or threatening him over replacing Vic in one of his more well established roles. Although, prior to the recent movie, I really didn't see that much love for Broly, at least compared to Ed and Tamaki, but I'm also not heavily involved in the Dragon Ball community anyway.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Johnny Yong Bosch also replaced Vic Mignogna as Luffy's 'adopted' brother Sabo in the recent One Piece movie that was shown in theaters, so I'm surprised Bosch is also replacing Mignogna as Broly for Dragon Ball too.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Should there be a new Fullmetal Alchemist anime, I wonder who will voice Ed for such?
I'm not sure myself. Although, with Brotherhood covering the whole manga, I don't know when or if we'll get any new FMA anime content. In a strange way, I'm almost kind of glad about that. As much as I'd like to see someone else voice Ed, the backlash for replacing Vic in his most popular/iconic role would be really intense to say the least. If they ever remake Ouran High School Host Club or give it another season, I'd be pretty curious about who would voice Tamiki. In the extremely off-chance that they'd actually remake DN Angel whenever that manga finally ends, I could actually see Johnny Yong Bosh working as Dark Mousy.