Vic Mignogna Controversies

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
There have been a lot of controversies surrounding morally questionable people backing cons, and many of those people being Vic apologists. Anime Matsuri was probably most famous for the allegations against its owner. Didn't go partially because of the controversy and partly because Houston is a long drive away and there are already 9 other Texas anime cons. I just found out about new convention Anime Oklahoma, successor convention to Izumicon, and its controversies. The financial backer was accused of pedophilia, kidnapping, homophobia/transphobia, and other sordid deeds. The security officer of Anime Oklahoma was a huge Vic apologist who lobbied for him to be invited to Tokyo in Tulsa (the overwhelming outcry from people on that convention's facebook group prevented that from happening. Some even testified to being victims of his.) Anyway, the con very reluctantly got rid of their backer and are now begging for money on Gofundme to pay for the convention. Vic probably got away with that stuff because many people in the convention business are slimy and did similar things as him, and unfortunately, quite a few cons in the rural central US have very slimy people in charge. The Arkansas Cosplay Con and Anime Experience scandal was enough to make Bleeding Cool news, Con Man: Arkansas Convention Organizer Allegedly Took Money And Ran and Izumicon fell after 10 years because of a similar scandal.

I'm hoping that now that Anime Oklahoma has gotten rid of the controversial guy, that they can maybe make it as a less corrupt Izumicon, but I still feel uncomfortable about the Vic apologetics one of the people in charge is responsible for. The fans at least lobbied to ensure that we got Tia Ballard instead of Vic or Todd or one of those individuals. She'll probably be the only voice actress because of the money issues.

Anyway, what my point is that Vic is only part of the problem with anime cons as the corrupt people in charge enabled him and possibly other voice actors and other people at cons. I don't know if cons in other parts of the US have the same corruption issues as the south central US near where Funimation is headquartered, but corruption is really bad here.

Edit: Major update on the Anime Oklahoma situation. They have kept the controversial investor and have threatened anybody who criticized them with legal action. Just now, they took down their Facebook page after censoring all negative criticism. I think this takes the cake for the worst action any con has done in America in a year with lots of cons doing bad things.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Another site has made an article about this situation:

There isn't a lot of new information there, but it does provide a fairly detailed summary of what has happened since the controversy started. There are also some details from the affidavits, including the recent ones from the twin girls that Vic groomed and sexually assaulted. I read through their affidavits and it was quite depressing and upsetting all at once. They were of legal age, but there was a thirty year difference between them. Vic is old enough to be their father, but because they were nice to him, Vic assumed that they would be interested in having sex with him. Their account of how he reacted when they denied it and forcing a kiss on their lips before they left was really disturbing. It is amazingly awful how there is a new bottom of the barrel with every update for this case. Vic already came off as a huge creep to me with everything that has happened, but this is just terrible. I don't think that my opinion of him could get any lower, but there could be another detail from the case that makes him look even worse somehow.

They couldn't get a comment from Vic or any of his legal team for the article, but they did have a few comments from Monica and Jamie. I still worry about their safety given how much death threats and harassment they have received over the past few months, but it is touching that they both wanted to get the truth out and it will be worthwhile if it saves even one girl from going through this kind of situation. I'm still glad that Vic's behavior is finally getting more public exposure and he'll hopefully won't be able to target other girls again, but it is truly depressing that it took this long for Vic to face consequences for his actions.

Reactions: Fone Bone and RDG

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
J. Michael Tatum has just spoke out against Vic and got hate from Twitter over it. The narrative of "Vic=good, every other voice actor (except maybe some of Vic's buddies like Todd Haberkorn=bad" doesn't make much sense. Some who have spoken against Vic, like Chris Sabat, have resumes that are far more robust. I would think that real dub fans wouldn't have this much hate for non-Vic voice actors. Still seems like these people are alt-righters who aren't real fans of anime dubs or super hardcore fans of Broly and Edward Elric who see the other voice actors as enemies. It feels so bad that Sabat, Tatum, et. al don't seem to get any support on Twitter and that Vic fans seem to be the biggest voice. A few days ago, I actually saw some posts that were actually critical of Vic on Twitter, as typing #KickVic into Twitter seems to give you many more posts from people hating on the #KickVic movement than actual members of the movement. I think the latest pieces have information have turned the tide, but Vic fans wouldn't believe him to be a sexual predator even if they saw him do it with their own two eyes.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
J. Michael Tatum has just spoke out against Vic and got hate from Twitter over it. The narrative of "Vic=good, every other voice actor (except maybe some of Vic's buddies like Todd Haberkorn=bad" doesn't make much sense. Some who have spoken against Vic, like Chris Sabat, have resumes that are far more robust. I would think that real dub fans wouldn't have this much hate for non-Vic voice actors. Still seems like these people are alt-righters who aren't real fans of anime dubs or super hardcore fans of Broly and Edward Elric who see the other voice actors as enemies. It feels so bad that Sabat, Tatum, et. al don't seem to get any support on Twitter and that Vic fans seem to be the biggest voice. A few days ago, I actually saw some posts that were actually critical of Vic on Twitter, as typing #KickVic into Twitter seems to give you many more posts from people hating on the #KickVic movement than actual members of the movement. I think the latest pieces have information have turned the tide, but Vic fans wouldn't believe him to be a sexual predator even if they saw him do it with their own two eyes.
I saw J. Michael Tatum give support for the voice actresses being harassed before, so I'm not sure why Vic's supporters are just now getting upset at him. The amount of support Vic still has is upsetting and pretty surprising in a way, but I think it's a combination of nostalgia for his more popular roles and the idea of a white Christian nice guy being accused of sexual harassment attracting the alt right crowd. A lot of people like FMA and Ouran, so that might make some fans more defensive towards the lead actor. There might be some nostalgia with Broly as well, but I don't know if he has as much appeal compared to Ed or Tamiki. The alt right crowd would completely buy the idea that a white Christian nice guy was falsely accused. Even though it doesn't make any sense given that the accusations span over decades and involve different people who would have nothing to gain from lying, it gives them the excuse to harass women.

Considering how some of his supporters reacted to Vic's deposition where he flat out admitted to some of his accusations and couldn't prove that the people he's suing are defaming him, they definitely wouldn't believe it even if they saw a video recording. The amount of hero worship for Vic I've seen over the past few months from some his supporters is quite unsettling. I really don't think the backlash would be this intense if this was about any other voice actor. Vic's fanbase is practically a cult and they are part of the reason why people didn't want to speak out earlier. Vic has told his fans for years to comment against any negative thing about him, or as he described it "lies", online. I didn't think much of it before this whole situation, but that and the rumor panel where he addressed these accusations are really telling in retrospect. Most people don't tell their fans to act as their personal shield against accusations like that, let alone devote an entire panel to talk about rumors about themselves.

Reactions: Fone Bone

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I'm still surprised why there doesn't seem to be much defense for the other voice actors. I know some people who really love Tatum's stuff, but I guess Stein's;Gate is more niche, but he is Iida from MHA. A lot of Vic's opponents are also big stars of beloved characters, but it feels like so few people are standing for them. I wonder why #Istandwith(insertnonVicvoiceactorhere) hashtags haven't been trending. I guess he gets so much support because outside of the shows he voices, he seems to have a lot of charisma. That Izumicon panel I went to allowed me to see just how much charisma he seems to have.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I'm still surprised why there doesn't seem to be much defense for the other voice actors. I know some people who really love Tatum's stuff, but I guess Stein's;Gate is more niche, but he is Iida from MHA. A lot of Vic's opponents are also big stars of beloved characters, but it feels like so few people are standing for them. I wonder why #Istandwith(insertnonVicvoiceactorhere) hashtags haven't been trending. I guess he gets so much support because outside of the shows he voices, he seems to have a lot of charisma. That Izumicon panel I went to allowed me to see just how much charisma he seems to have.
Stein;Gate is a pretty popular series, although it might be more niche compared to bigger series/franchises. Monica Rial voices Bulma and Tsu from My Hero Academia, so she's a pretty popular and well receive voice actress herself. It's unfortunately much more common for people to believe that victims of sexual harassment, especially women, are liars instead of listening to them and believing that the person they're speaking out against did something wrong. The harassment and threats are sadly not unexpected for victims speaking out, but it is still mind boggling that Vic has this much support at this point. Vic, and by extension his toxic fanbase/supporters, have done far more damage to his career and reputation than anything Jamie, Monica or any of the other victims have said.

Vic definitely has a lot of charisma. He definitely gives off the impression that he's a nice, open and friendly person in conventions and panels. I still remember watching some videos of his panels shortly before the news of these accusations gained more public attention. As much as I regret falling for his nice guy act, it is a rather convincing performance, especially for a lot of kids who may want that kind of easy connection with a person that they admire or is involved in one of their favorite shows. From what I understand, it is common for abusers to have charisma like that and manipulate/gaslight people around them to their advantage. I imagine that is one of the reasons why Vic was able to retain his fanbase and remain in the industry for so long despite all of his terrible behavior.

Reactions: Fone Bone

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
According to Greg Doucette, Vic's lawyer is also representing Todd Haberkorn and the owner of Anime Matsuri. Hopefully, nothing comes of that.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Considering all of the terrible and downright unethical behavior from Vic's so-called lawyer, I'd be really surprised if he is able to represent anyone else after this case is inevitably dismissed.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Considering all of the terrible and downright unethical behavior from Vic's so-called lawyer, I'd be really surprised if he is able to represent anyone else after this case is inevitably dismissed.
I'd hope that Vic losing would dissuade Todd and Anime Matsuri guy from suing. I don't really think unethical people would be bothered by that behavior so he may still get some slimy clients to work with him, but they will probably think twice because of his abilities to win.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I'd hope that Vic losing would dissuade Todd and Anime Matsuri guy from suing. I don't really think unethical people would be bothered by that behavior so he may still get some slimy clients to work with him, but they will probably think twice because of his abilities to win.
I was referring to how he should not have a lawyer's license. Same for the YouTube lawyer considering he called for people to be doxxed and released confidential information like Vic wanting to have sex with those twin girls on his awful livestreams. They've both been pretty slimy from the start and have only gotten worse with the increasing amount of alt-right supporters they have. Releasing information about an ongoing court case on YouTube also just seems incredibly stupid. Pretty much all the livestreams could easily be used to prove how Vic's fanbase/supports have been toxic and have caused more damages to Jamie and Monica during this whole ordeal. Showing their incompetence as lawyers on a format that can easily be saved like YouTube really doesn't help them either.

If Todd and the Anime Matsuri guy really think that this lawyer who doesn't understand how defamation laws work and actually claimed that one term was defamation because Vic isn't feces, then they're far gone too. Not to mention I don't think that either of them would have much of a case. Assuming that Todd would also be suing for defamation, I'm not sure how the accusation hurt his career, especially when that hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as Vic's pathetic lawsuit has.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
There have just been leaks of an old gag dub of Dragonball Z that came out with Sean Schemmel saying homophobic slurs and #IstandwithVic is having a field day. Some people on Twitter are saying that they hope Funimation gets shut down. I'm wondering if this is because of being offended by the jokes or retaliation for what happened to Vic. "Other voice actors are bad too" doesn't exonerate Vic and this whole controversy does make me feel disillusioned about voice actors.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
Get your pounds of flesh. This is why social media is garbage. Everyone wants to be a moral police officer when everyone is morally corrupt in some way shape or form. Or there is now a record of someone saying something somewhere that's regrettable and will get you fired later.

Reactions: Terror of Death

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Here's a serious question: Without saying this lets Vic off the hook, or that the voice actors in question should be fired, can people actually agree that the homophobic slurs in those outtakes are, you know, BAD? This sort of thing should not be a team sport, and just because Vic is using this to defend himself doesn't make it okay.

Let me be clear: Nobody needs to get fired over this. But I kind of think the voice actors yukking it up at the expense of gay people and other targets are crappy people too. Not as crappy as Vic of course. But that shouldn't be the freaking bar.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I'm not listening to the audio as I don't want to fuel all this nonsense. But I'd say context is important.

Honestly, I think this has nothing to do with Vic Mignogna other than these are some of his colleagues and people who worked in similar circles. And there are people who say, "See look at the other Funimation employees acting vulgar!"

Let me be clear: Nobody needs to get fired over this. But I kind of think the voice actors yukking it up at the expense of gay people and other targets are crappy people too. Not as crappy as Vic of course. But that shouldn't be the freaking bar.
Is James Gunn a scumbag for making multiple, inappropriate jokes about raping children on his Twitter account a number of years ago?

Ricky Gervais?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
There have just been leaks of an old gag dub of Dragonball Z that came out with Sean Schemmel saying homophobic slurs and #IstandwithVic is having a field day. Some people on Twitter are saying that they hope Funimation gets shut down. I'm wondering if this is because of being offended by the jokes or retaliation for what happened to Vic. "Other voice actors are bad too" doesn't exonerate Vic and this whole controversy does make me feel disillusioned about voice actors.
It is most certainly retaliation for what happened to Vic. If it wasn't for the legal situation, no one would care. If this didn't involve DBZ voice actors or possibly were bloopers for another Funimation series, no one would care. This isn't some deep secret hidden within the vaults of Funimation. Raunchy outtakes are pretty common in voice acting. I've heard of and watched outtakes for other dubs, including some of Funimation's other series, so this isn't new or even uncommon. People who want Funimation to get shut down over this are just desperately hoping to strike back after Vic was fired, even though none of this changes anything or related to his accusations in the slightest.

Honestly, this makes me feel more frustrated with Vic's rabid fanbase/supporters than the other voice actors. I can understand feeling disillusioned about the other voice actors, but I don't think that this reflects negatively on their personalities. Based on what I've heard, this was a private recording from the early 2000s. They would be different people back then compared to now and unlike Vic, I don't think that the voice actors from those outtakes have a long history of being homophobic or harassing other people. The fans who are using this as another attempt to tear down Funimation and its voice actors are just hypocrites. They suddenly don't care about respecting other people, let alone those in the LGBTQ community, after months of harassing people over Vic. They just want to strike back for what happened to Vic, even though they're causing way more harm than good.

Here's a serious question: Without saying this lets Vic off the hook, or that the voice actors in question should be fired, can people actually agree that the homophobic slurs in those outtakes are, you know, BAD? This sort of thing should not be a team sport, and just because Vic is using this to defend himself doesn't make it okay.

Admittedly, I'm not going to listen to the outtakes due to how they were leaked, but I have read about them and I could see how some of the jokes would come off as tasteless to say the least. I think that people can be upset at voice actors using homophobic slurs as a joke. Being a joke obviously doesn't negate how harmful or hurtful they can be, but at the same time, these outtakes weren't meant for the general public either. They only came out so that the so-called YouTube lawyer could get some attention for his channel and more people could harass Funimation and the other voice actors. That's a big reason why I don't want to hold the context of the jokes against them. It happened years ago and it's only gaining negative attention due to the situation with Vic. I don't think being in private means it's okay to make homophobic jokes, but at the same time, unless this was connecting to years of unprofessional behavior, I don't see much reason to hold these bloopers against them.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Do you know what I noticed about me? I never seem to post what people want me to post. The whole James Gunn thing was done to bait me into an argument about why he's defensible and the voice artists aren't. And instead I'm like "He sucks too." If you want to win an argument with me, don't ask me to take an unpopular stand. Because chances are I will.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
Do you know what I noticed about me? I never seem to post what people want me to post. The whole James Gunn thing was done to bait me into an argument about why he's defensible and the voice artists aren't. And instead I'm like "He sucks too." If you want to win an argument with me, don't ask me to take an unpopular stand. Because chances are I will.
The outtakes are unquestionably filthy and vulgar, but so what? I remember a time when this type of humor was celebrated by liberals. Look at The Aristocrats. The Aristocrats is a famous joke in comedy that's been around for decades and is all about telling the filthiest, worst story possible. The filthier the better. A whole documentary was made about it featuring major names.

The incest and sexuality jokes? Team Four Star made entire subplots around these things in Dragon Ball Abridged, which is also celebrated by fans.

Years ago Thundercats audio outtakes surfaced with the cast members acting absolutely filthy in voices with their character and saying things that can arguably be considered offensive today. They were goofing around and no one was being hurt by it. When those outtakes surfaced some years back, they were considered hilarious.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner is "Let's Meet Sonic", which got 3 votes. "Monster Party" got 1 vote. The next matchup is animated crossovers with live action shows. This time it's between "Halloween Night At The Museum" (Ultimate Spiderman & Jessie) and ScoobyNatural (Supernatural & Scooby Doo).

If schedule listings are to be believed, it appears as though Toonami will be airing reruns of DBS' Universe Survival Saga starting tonight.
Can we talk about how a French home video company had an opening logo consisting of an animated Groucho Marx set to disco music? I especially like the Fender Rhodes solo during the second half, even if it's just the warning message.

According to zap2it, it appears all Nick channels on Sat Jul 25 will air Christmas episodes/specials
And the winner of this matchup is "Crossover Nexus", which got 5 votes. "The Power Is Yours" got 1 vote. The next matchup is between "Monster Party" and "Let's Meet Sonic".