Vic Mignogna Controversies

doomrider7

That One Guy
It's really not surprising. Anime Matsuri seems to be pretty infamous among cons from what I understand, so of course they wouldn't really care about potentially endangering people during a pandemic. Considering how bad it currently is in Texas, it would be especially horrific to hold a convention there now though. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be legally required to shut it down. As much as people want to reopen, they obviously can't because that can and did result in cases increasing dramatically. Anyone willing to go to a con during this time is pretty far gone at this point.

As for Vic, it's pretty pathetic for anyone to celebrate him getting invited to a con, let alone something like Anime Matsuri. If his fans/supporters actually cared about him, they wouldn't want Vic to go to any cons during this pandemic. He is over fifty. I obviously don't know if he has any health conditions, but he would be at least close to a high risk category for the virus due to his age alone. If they cared about him, they would want Vic to not go a con to potential risk his health and the health of other people, but that would require having empathy, which I don't think is particularly common among a lot of Vic's supporters. Instead, they think that getting Vic to an infamous convention during a pandemic is cause for celebration.

They don't really care about him. He's more of a proxy figure for their nonsense culture war.

Why are we still talking about this jag again?

Was thinking something bigger happened myself.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Anime Matsuri is so desperate for guests they are inviting Vic back and I Stand With Vic is celebrating. Just being open is controversial considering the pandemic and every other major Texas con except Ikkicon has officially cancelled for 2020. It looks like it's hard for cons to convince VAs to risk their lives as only James Callis and a few voice actors from Mexico are coming aside from Vic.

Is this is an in person con over a virtual one?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
An in person con in Houston, America's 4th largest city and a coronavirus hotspot. Of course Anime Matsuri would be desperate to find talent willing to take such a risk.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Anime Matsuri just cancelled got cancelled by Houston's mayor, so moot point. Anime USA in Washington DC looks to be the only major US con still not cancelled yet somehow.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That is a huge relief given how intense the situation is in Texas right now. Any kind of con that wants to stay an in-person con at this point is just not worth it to say the least.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I've been keeping up with this case over the past few years and I'm relieved that they finally made this decision. Granted, with how the cast went the first time around, appeals were not going to go in Vic's favor anyway, but it's still good that they sided with the women he tried to silence with this lawsuit. I still see so many of his fans threatening and harassing these voice actresses, or really anyone who vocalize any dislike towards Vic or had negative experiences wit him, practically on a daily basis.

Even if Vic himself was a nice person, which he isn't, I would still be extremely wary of him just because of his cult of a fanbase. Everything I've seen of Vic's behavior since the lawsuit first started makes me regret that I was ever one of his fans and that I spent so many years brushing off allegations against him as rumors. There were a lot of red flags that I didn't recognize for years. Most voice actors don't have panels devoted to addressing rumors about them, which Vic did at least a couple of times back in the 2000's, and telling people to say that they had a good time whenever people brought up those rumors online, which he did in many panels including the one con I saw him at, really says a lot about his ego. I fell for his nice guy act super hard and I still feel some regret for doing so.

Despite this outcome, I could easily see Vic and/or his legal teambeing stupid enough to take this to the Supreme Court of Texas. I think he'd be laughed out of there and end up owing them even more money, but I would not be shocked if that happens. Hopefully this is the end of the legal nonsense and he'll just pay the huge amount of money he already owes these people. Vic's voice acting career is already beyond dead and his attempt to silence these women backfired on him immensely.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts