Should Viacom and CBS merge again?

• Yes

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
A remerger could bring about the return of Star Trek movies set in the original universe. They'd have to be with all new characters though, since I doubt the casts of DS9, VOY and ENT, would want to reprise their roles so long after those series ended. It's possible that Paramount Animation could do an animated ST movie.
Actually, I think said casts would be interested in reprising their roles for said films.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Actually, I think said casts would be interested in reprising their roles for said films.
I agree. I think the cast of Voyager would be iffy (there are hurt feelings there) but I bet they could get most of the DS9 cast. Enterprise would be dicier because I'm not sure it was popular enough to warrant a movie. But as we've noted in our arguments it has its fans. :D

TMC1982

According to some "insider" gossip that I just read, once the CBS-Viacom merger is completed, the "CW" network name will be retired in favor of a return of The WB due to name recognition.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
According to some "insider" gossip that I just read, once the CBS-Viacom merger is completed, the "CW" network name will be retired in favor of a return of The WB due to name recognition.
Yeah, I don't believe that. Besides the multiple misspellings and the fact that the link is a blip-in-the-radar forum site, this is just what it is -- gossip. As much as I'd love The WB to come back in-name (as I watched it a lot was I was a kid--especially the cartoons), I'd rather wait until this is confirmed. Plus the person said they weren't 100% sure -- and WB itself will probably make "CBS-Viacom" jump through hoops to make it happen, so... grain of salt.

Mandouga

Except, that it was kind of done already, sort of. "The WB" continued as just a website for a while (fun fact: they had the English dub of Angelic Layer [a non-WB show, but still] for a while).

Still, I wouldn't (really) mind if The CW went back to The WB name. After all, the name was really the result of "C"BS and "W"arner Bros. joining forces in the first place.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah, but not by much.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Yeah, no. Maybe you weren't tuned in back then but WB and UPN were total jokes. Both The Simpsons and Family Guy used to take shots at their expense. The WB was best known for junk like The Wayans Brothers and Nick Freno Licensed Teacher (Buffy and Dawson's Creek came awhile later) while UPN created such distinguished fare as Homeboys From Outer Space, Shasta McNasty, and The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfieffer. Part of the reason the name was changed to CW at all was the get away from the low-class stigma of both networks.

JTOONSAnimation

Even if CBS and Viacom come together and CBS sells its stake in The CW, they could still call it "The CW", even after Disney acquired Fox's Entertainment assets, the Fox name was intact.

Besides, of all the things The CW can change/improve, the last thing is a name change.

the greenman

Well, I was around for that stuff. While you're pointing out the obviously cheesy bad stuff, most of the stuff we recognize as WB type stuff kinda continues. For every Smallville there's an Arrow. For every Gilmore Girls they have Gossip Girl. In other words, more things. . . stylistically, they have not quite changed. What has worked they are gonna cram it down our collective throats.

the greenman

The WB did have some hit shows on its kids' block, most significantly Pokemon.
Without question! Jackie Chan Adventures, Superman: the animated series, The Mummy, Earthworm Jim, Freakazoid!, Men in Black, Batman Beyond, Static Shock and many more.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
JCA and MIB are owned by Sony, the favorite for many (except me) to buy out the remerged CBS-Viacom (personally I prefer Charter).

Also, I've wanted Paramount to do a Happy Days movie directed by original series star Ron Howard for some years now. Paramount owns the film rights to Star Trek, and as far as I know many of the other TV series they produced prior to 2006. But a remerger could make it easier for Paramount to produce a Happy Days movie. Since the show was suitable for family viewing, I wouldn't be surprised if Nickelodeon Movies was involved in it. I know through Howard that Imagine Entertainment would co-produce it. And my top choice to play Richie Cunningham? KJ Apa (Riverdale).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Still, I wouldn't (really) mind if The CW went back to The WB name. After all, the name was really the result of "C"BS and "W"arner Bros. joining forces in the first place.
Nah, I agree with JTOONSAnimation. The CW could keep its name if the remerger happens like Fox was allowed to keep its name after its former namesake parent company merged with Disney.
The WB was best known for junk like The Wayans Brothers and Nick Freno Licensed Teacher (Buffy and Dawson's Creek came awhile later) while UPN created such distinguished fare as Homeboys From Outer Space, Shasta McNasty, and The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfieffer. Part of the reason the name was changed to CW at all was the get away from the low-class stigma of both networks.
But they also did a lot of good shows and the reason why the name was changed wasn't because of what you said. It was to signify that it was a merged network of two USTV networks, regardless of the stigma.
JCA and MIB are owned by Sony, the favorite for many (except me) to buy out the remerged CBS-Viacom (personally I prefer Charter).
I don't even think Charter would be a good choice.
Well, I was around for that stuff. While you're pointing out the obviously cheesy bad stuff, most of the stuff we recognize as WB type stuff kinda continues. For every Smallville there's an Arrow. For every Gilmore Girls they have Gossip Girl. In other words, more things. . . stylistically, they have not quite changed. What has worked they are gonna cram it down our collective throats.
Yeah, pretty much as they phased out the UPN shows during the years since America's Next Top Model was the last UPN show to air on The CW before its original end in 2015 and move to VH1 a year later and by 2020, all of the shows from the network will not have originated from either predecessor as Supernatural, which is the last WB show to air on The CW, will be ending its run that year.

Last edited:

TMC1982

Yeah, no. Maybe you weren't tuned in back then but WB and UPN were total jokes. Both The Simpsons and Family Guy used to take shots at their expense. The WB was best known for junk like The Wayans Brothers and Nick Freno Licensed Teacher (Buffy and Dawson's Creek came awhile later) while UPN created such distinguished fare as Homeboys From Outer Space, Shasta McNasty, and The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfieffer. Part of the reason the name was changed to CW at all was the get away from the low-class stigma of both networks.

I don't necessarily think that the merger was that cut and dry as trying to get away from a perceived "low-class stigma" of said networks. Every network produces their share of bad shows as well as good shows. And it isn't like The CW was that well off initially (during the time period in which Dawn Ostroff was overseeing it). The merger had more to do with both networks struggling to have a market share over Fox. UPN's stations were struggling to cover a national market (ironically, UPN was actually a more successful network than The WB in most major markets, including New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC, mostly because they catered to an urban audience who were abandoned by the major networks at the time) and The WB, despite having several hits, wasn’t the money maker it hoped it would be.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
A remerger could also give Paramount TV incentive to produce a GI Joe TV series with MGM TV, Hasbro Studios and Skydance TV for CBS. The show would go on CBS because they have been very successful with military themed shows, such as JAG, the NCIS shows and SEAL Team.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
A remerger could also give Paramount TV incentive to produce a GI Joe TV series with MGM TV, Hasbro Studios and Skydance TV for CBS. The show would go on CBS because they have been very successful with military themed shows, such as JAG, the NCIS shows and SEAL Team.
I'm not sure that there has been a primetime show that was based on a toyline.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts