"Venom" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Peter's just walking around and sees Venom on the news and goes "huh?" or just bumps into Brock for a random cameo :sweat:?

I'm going to guess this movie is going to imply this is part some kind of multiverse where Peter exists but isn't Spiderman. Yeesh hopefully this doesn't put my idea of how to introduce the X-Men into the MCU out of whack.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know you're trailer has problems when of all people Rob Liefeld is calling you out on that.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/veno...sappointed-by-the-first-venom-trailer-a157754

And granted Rob Liefeld isn't really a movie expert or anything but even he knows even if it's a teaser you actually have to TEASE the main product you're talking about and show people you can deliver on what they want to see. Again when Deadpool was doing it's first trailer back at 2015 comic con, it actually had done enough post production to actually SHOW the title character in they're role and the way people want to see them. You NEED to do the same with Venom in some form and they didn't do that so they should be called out for that.

the greenman

So, that leaves a little wiggle room. If they later on show Venom tearing through some mafioso, or even cops it might save this. I still think this was premature.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So, that leaves a little wiggle room. If they later on show Venom tearing through some mafioso, or even cops it might save this. I still think this was premature.
This is a character that works better in the R rating territory, imo, and presumably Sony has convinced themselves they can get Deadpool's success with an R Venom movie.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Yeah, at this point, if Sony gave Venom a PG-13 rating, it would come across as them chickening out, I think.

dmxx116

After seeing trailer this is nothing but a cash grabbing movie for Avi Arad since Spider-Man 3 thank god Arad is not running Marvel Studios.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
I'm speaking to the choir at this point, but it's such a lame trailer. This was already a movie that I was seriously on the fence about, and this did nothing to get me even remotely excited. I also love how they think that Venom is so well known that they don't even bother to include the entire name of the title. I'll bet a lot of people who see this in theatres for the first time are going to think the movie is just called "V." Yes, Venom is a very well known character, but he's hardly at the level of someone like Spider-Man. The movie may still be decent, but the marketing thus far has been lacklustre.

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, I feel like this movie has probably ran out of actual comic characters to use at this point so I'm curious who all is playing who here :p.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
... That better be an untrue rumor because hearing about that alone makes me want to slam Venom as the WORST Comic Book movie of 2018. Granted we haven't seen the full thing yet but... sorry you can't pull this "we only see a minimal amount of the character" crap anymore for a comic book movie. If you want to make a dramatic horror movie focusing on just showing the character being possessed by some sort of tendril creature, fine make your own ORIGINAL movie. But when people pay money for Venom, THEY WANT TO SEE VENOM! You can't pull this crap Sony especially when you got so much hate last time you had only a minimal amount of Venom. But at least that was an additional element of a bigger epic movie. Venom should have a lot about Venom, not just by the symboite slightly manifesting. Maybe Eddie only has control of it at the end but we should still see it especially since that's the big reason people have ANY interest in this movie. Ugh I hope if this is true this bombs terribly. Like Fantastic 4 bombs though at least as bad as that FF movie was the team had they're powers at least by the middle of the movie not fully just showcasing them at the freaking end.

Frontier

Staff member
Rumors now swirling we'll only see minutes of Venom at the end of the movie while the majority of the time, it'll manifest as black veins or a small shield...
...I don't see anyway where, if true, this works out for the film by making them wait an entire movie just to see the character the film is actually named after :sweat:.

I mean, the lack of Venom was even the biggest criticism for the trailer, but a whole movie without Venom? Just sounds like a recipe for disaster o_O.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
... That better be an untrue rumor because hearing about that alone makes me want to slam Venom as the WORST Comic Book movie of 2018. Granted we haven't seen the full thing yet but... sorry you can't pull this "we only see a minimal amount of the character" crap anymore for a comic book movie. If you want to make a dramatic horror movie focusing on just showing the character being possessed by some sort of tendril creature, fine make your own ORIGINAL movie. But when people pay money for Venom, THEY WANT TO SEE VENOM! You can't pull this crap Sony especially when you got so much hate last time you had only a minimal amount of Venom. But at least that was an additional element of a bigger epic movie. Venom should have a lot about Venom, not just by the symboite slightly manifesting. Maybe Eddie only has control of it at the end but we should still see it especially since that's the big reason people have ANY interest in this movie. Ugh I hope if this is true this bombs terribly. Like Fantastic 4 bombs though at least as bad as that FF movie was the team had they're powers at least by the middle of the movie not fully just showcasing them at the freaking end.
I hope that rumor is false as well. After all, the lack of actual screen time for Venom is one of the big issues when it came to Spider-Man 3 (with me feeling that he should have been saved up for another film).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It adds a little to the suspicion of it coming out in theaters so relatively quick after filming finished. Granted it's possible they did CG work way before and tech has improved exponentially these days... but you'd think a movie that needs CG like this would come out in 2019 and not 2018. Hmm.

Frontier

Staff member
It adds a little to the suspicion of it coming out in theaters so relatively quick after filming finished. Granted it's possible they did CG work way before and tech has improved exponentially these days... but you'd think a movie that needs CG like this would come out in 2019 and not 2018. Hmm.
I think there are also some suspicious things going such as whether the movie might have had enough of an FX budget to cover Venom and why they never showcased Venom at all in the teaser trailer...

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Hmm. I hope this rumor is fake.

The problem with rumors like this, IMO, is that they're just too easy to spread, especially considering Sony's reputation in recent years.
Also, after the way the director and actor hyped up how much Venom fans would enjoy this, it'd be a weird move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts