"Venom" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,565 46
Sherman Oaks CA
So does this mean the movie would be MCU canon?
Probably not as far as the actual MCU is concerned, I would imagine.
I'll believe its canon when a video clip from Marvel is posted online of Feige saying it is. Until then, I don't.
At the very least I could see a small nod to Spider-Man to justify the white spider emblem on Venom's design.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
974 1
East Northport
Honestly I really hope that rumor is total BS and this doesn't because if it does then they are just WASTING the whole Symbotie Saga story and proving just how obnoxiously terrible this whole "venomverse idea" really is. And yeah I was one of the people who defended this movie before and one of the first to say "you know if it's actually totally disconnected from the MCU and even Spidey, it could still work." Yeah traditionally you do need Spider-Man to tell the story of Venom but if you are trying to do your own thing and avoid Peter Parker due to his connection to MCU Marvel, fine. You can just have the symbiote itself be bitten by a radioactive spider or something and boom, you can cut straight to the angst and torment of Eddie Brock getting the suit and becoming Venom, easy enough. However if you are going to go through the trouble of having Spider-Man actually don the black suit which then passes to Eddie, you need TIME and FOCUS put on that story. The reason the symobite story is generally so well recieved is that they spent a lot of time of Peter Parker having the suit and having it affect him until he got rid of it and it transferred to Venom. Yeah in the adapations we saw in say the 90's Cartoon and Spectacular he only had the suit for a couple of episodes before Eddie got it but there was time spent specifically on that. One of the reasons Spider Man 3 was so jeered was trying to truncate that story (due to forced studios note demanding it put in) as one of the many other subplots juggling for time. If you're GOING to Black Symbotie Spidey that has to be the central arc of a movie. You can have another villain pop up but the focus should still be on Peter's struggle with the suit and getting it off and then like as a teaser at the end of the movie you see Eddie get it so you can have Venom in the next movie. You can't just have it be a subplot of a much longer story. Seriously it would be lame if the Symboite was like subplot number... 12 in Avengers Infinity War because there would be no time to dedicate to that story since obviously Venom is going to be focused on Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock. So really THAT'S where that take on the story should begin and if they can't dedicate time for Peter properly they shouldn't have him in the narrative. So again I hope this is just a stupid untrue rumor especially since it's been said several times over whatever Sony's doing is they're OWN THING separate from the MCU. They shouldn't confuse people by having Holland pop up just to honestly waste him.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,277 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
1/25: Set video of Hardy and Williams filming an intense scene.

1/26: Scott Haze is reportedly Roland Treece, founder of Treece International and a member of the Life Foundation's Board of Directors, and Jenny Slate is a LF scientist named Dora Skirth. Set photo has Hardy about to whup Haze in a scene.

1/28: Principal photography has wrapped.

2/1: Might be a trailer this month.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,277 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I wonder if they might actually finally show Venom in this or if they would just show Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock convulsing or around some black goo...
Maybe a few seconds of Venom at the end of the trailer (i.e. the first Doctor Strange trailer didn't have him suited up until the end as he's going up the stairs I think). Presumably they started CG before principal so they might have enough for a brief tease.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,362 94
Cartoon Headquarters
2/2: I think it's safe to assume we'll see the first teaser either this Sunday the 4th at the SuperBowl at earliest or during Black Panther's release on the 16th at latest. Also, I wouldn't expect much if I were you. A teaser is a teaser. It's supposed to set the mood and get you hyped for the full trailer. So I imagine they'll focus in it on Eddie and just subtly hint at Venom at the end of it along with the plot. The proper trailer, which by my guess will debut around late May/early June, should then be a lot more revealing and offer proper imagery and answers. It kinda makes sense too since they only finished shooting recently and will be focusing on post production just now. We'll be seeing more, and in better quality as the CG improves, the closer we'll be to release. I think there could then be one last trailer, aka full trailer #2, sometime in late August/early September that will spill the beans and remind people to go see the film in October.

As for the plot of the film itself, here too I think people are expecting too much right away without really thinking about it. It's supposed to be a trilogy and with each following film it should be tied more closely to MCU. In other words the first film, aka this one, will be and feel very solo and its main purpose will be to introduce everything and set things into motion. It's going to focus on Eddie/Venom and the Life Foundation while taking from Lethal Protector and Planet of Symbiotes. If you know this stuff you really should know what to expect more less. Basically Eddie/Venom vs Life Foundation/Symbiotes. Having Spider-Man in this first film would just be too much and make zero sense despite a lot people, who probably at the same time don't know much about Venom frankly, wanting to see him. That's why Parker will be here instead. To pave way for Spider-Man in Venom 2 where I suspect Carnage will be the main villain who will be teased at the end of Venom 1.

2/7: Poster revealed. Trailer drops tomorrow!
DVchfbgVMAAA8Nv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
974 1
East Northport
The Teaser trailer is out.

.... Well that was lame. Okay I can appreciate them going for a darker, grimer tone as yeah that fits the character. I also admit the final shot of Eddie writhing on the bed shaking probably due to the split personality of the symbiote kicking in works but... you have to show us some of the actual VENOM and not just people reacting to it. Seriously I feel like I'm watching the Deadpool 2 trailer and am waiting for Wade to stop it and go "hold on did no one finish the effects of the actual symbiote pushing people back with it's gooey tendrils?" Seriously this looks more like Akira or Chronicle then Venom as Eddie Brock's symbiote isn't psychic. You see how it pushes and tears you apart. Not showing that feels honestly like a dis-service, especially since that's what people were complaining about in Spider Man 3: not enough Venom. Just because you have Eddie Brock as a star doesn't mean anything if you don't see him actually fused and looking as the symbiote in a lot of the movie. Also was that a silohuette of Tom Holland Peter Parker around the minute mark? *Groans* Not going into a rant on why having Peter Parker in this movie is a BAD IDEA again but yeah so was not captivated by this trailer at all. Especially after DP 2 already had such a good teaser last time and that also didn't reveal really what the plot was but... it didn't need to entrance you. Heck the New Mutants trailer at least felt like it had a better understanding of showing the powers then this, and that movie got pushed back like a year. So what's this one's excuse?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,565 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Well...that was a bit of an unremarkable trailer :shrug:.

I'm not surprised we didn't get to actually see Brock as Venom, even if it's still disappointing that we still don't know what Venom will look like, though at least we got to see the Symbiote in all it's black and gooey glory :p.

They also go over Brock's deal of having broken up with his girlfriend, lost someone (his father?), and being involved in an accident, so at least we get some clarification as to his situations going into the film :ack:.

I wouldn't say it was a bad teaser but it's not the kind of teaser that gets you pumped for a movie :sad:.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,769 6
New York City
Wow. I've never seen so much hate for a teaser on Twitter. Or maybe modern teasers have spoiled us.

Here's what annoys me: Sony needed to knock this out of the park. They already have a bad rep when it comes to CBMs, and even ignoring those, they have a really bad track record lately (except Jumanji and Baby Driver). They knew that a lot of people were going into this film skeptical; they needed to make sure this first look would wow people. And...

I didn't even need to see Venom. Fade to black as we hear him speak, maybe let him roar - anything! This whole thing has an early 2000s aesthetic.

BUT - maybe the next trailer will fix my fears. I still hope this isn't a Venom in name-only film.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,565 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I didn't even need to see Venom. Fade to black as we hear him speak, maybe let him roar - anything! This whole thing has an early 2000s aesthetic.
Honestly, even a heavily modulated Tom Hardy saying "We are Venom" before the Venom face pops up would've been a better teaser then most of what's in the actual teaser :sweat:.

Neo Ultra Mike

May 18, 2006
Ratings
974 1
East Northport
Wow. I've never seen so much hate for a teaser on Twitter. Or maybe modern teasers have spoiled us.
Honestly I wouldn't say that as the best modern teases actually deliver and show even if only for a second what the product is suppose to be. The original teases for Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool and Black Panther, heck even on the DC side with Suicide Squad and Justice League delivered on showing the title characters and they're look, something this movie couldn't. Again even the New Mutants tease had more example of powers and of the vibe the movie was going for then this film had, and this is coming with yeah a much bigger incentive to get right...

Here's what annoys me: Sony needed to knock this out of the park. They already have a bad rep when it comes to CBMs, and even ignoring those, they have a really bad track record lately (except Jumanji and Baby Driver). They knew that a lot of people were going into this film skeptical; they needed to make sure this first look would wow people.
And yeah that's the fact Sony is now or at least was trying to start they're own cinematic universe. Whether or not they get fully absorbed by Sony, this and Silver and Black were or at least promised to be they're own separate things and exist in a world that's not the MCU. Which means they really need to PROVE they should be a thing and exist separate from the studio because... if you can't get the property right, why even have it? I mean no one was really going to seriously touch a Fantastic Four movie again with how FOX bungled it up so many times and expect to get somewhere, and honestly Sony hasn't really earned a much higher level of trust in that regard. Yeah they have made good Spider Man movies until they really tried to be the MCU and flopped so we don't really know what they are now but it has to really be something that stands properly on it's own which a trailer like this does not show at all.

And...

BUT - maybe the next trailer will fix my fears. I still hope this isn't a Venom in name-only film.
Honestly at this point you can't tease these sort of movies and have to give a general example of what you're going for upfront if you want to win people's confidence back. The only reason people have faith for example in the Han Solo prequel now is because the trailer actually went over fairly decently since before a lot of behind scenes talk and info didn't really generate the proper amount of hype. And though it's not nearly as difficult or as "directiorial switch up" in it's behind the scenes, Venom hasn't generate much proper hype as a product to exist on it's own. This should of been a prime to show that properly realized but we didn't get that and yeah... that is a pretty major letdown.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,277 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I agree they were premature in releasing a trailer when they just finished principal and premature releasing it in a heavy week of trailers post-Super Bowl. They should waiting until they had footage of Venom but the cameo of at least one symbiote in that container was fine for me. Knowing they were releasing one so soon, I wasn't expecting anything grand, just to set the lay of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...