Upcoming "Star Wars" Feature Films and Series News & Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

the greenman

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
4/29:The upcoming slate of movies will be part of Disney's movies being showcased at D23 on July 15 at 10:30 am. Definitely Last Jedi. Maybe a little of Han Solo.

5/19: There will be a Rogue One prequel comic set for August revealing how Cassian and K-2SO first met.

5/25: Kennedy reveals there's a couple ideas floating and they'll decide on the next spin-off movie in June.

8/17: Obi Wan Kenobi film in development. Stephen Daldry in early talks to oversee. No script yet. greenman started a thread here.

Boba Fett and Yoda films also confirmed in development. Guess we can dust off this Boba thread.

8/18: Now a Jabba the Hutt movie is reportedly to be in development.

9/8: A new report cites Kennedy was rubbed the wrong way and she isn't going to stand for young directors who believe in their hype who come in saying ' I want to do this. I want to do that.' Trevorrow was specifically said to fired for being too egotistical. Trank and Lord & Miller were also brought up in the article.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
9/8: A new report cites Kennedy was rubbed the wrong way and she isn't going to stand for young directors who believe in their hype who come in saying ' I want to do this. I want to do that.' Trevorrow was specifically said to fired for being too egotistical. Trank and Lord & Miller were also brought up in the article.

Yeah, and the "Rogue One" reshoots were supposedly because the film was too dark and Kennedy and the studio executives wanted to add bunnies and sparkle rainbows to lighten the mood of the film, to make it more enjoyable for kids. And we know how real that news turned out to be.

There might be some truth in the report, but we may never know the real reason why Trevorrow was fired.

Okay, time to cue the "JJ Abrams keeps remaking older films" jokes: Obviously Episode IX is going to end with Kylo Ren betraying Snoke and tossing him off a cliff. Or Poe Dameron dies saving the spaceship from destruction, exposing his body to lethal doses of radiation, and dies in Finn's arms, and Finn yells out "SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE!"

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Yeah, and the "Rogue One" reshoots were supposedly because the film was too dark and Kennedy and the studio executives wanted to add bunnies and sparkle rainbows to lighten the mood of the film, to make it more enjoyable for kids. And we know how real that news turned out to be.

There might be some truth in the report, but we may never know the real reason why Trevorrow was fired.

Okay, time to cue the "JJ Abrams keeps remaking older films" jokes: Obviously Episode IX is going to end with Kylo Ren betraying Snoke and tossing him off a cliff. Or Poe Dameron dies saving the spaceship from destruction, exposing his body to lethal doses of radiation, and dies in Finn's arms, and Finn yells out "SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE!"
The funny thing is that I've seen some people online say that Trevorrow was fired because his idea was "too original" for Lucasfilm, and that he didn't fit in their supposed mould of rehashing old movies. Guys, did you see Jurassic World? That movie ripped off the original is almost every way. Plot wise it may have been different, but thematically it was a clone, and a very weak clone at that. I don't get the people who want to make Trevorrow out to be a martyr, the climax of JW was the only thing that saved that movie from being a complete disaster. And yes, I buy the concept that he had a big ego and was tough to deal with, I've always gotten that vibe from him when I've seen him in interviews. And to the people who are saying that Lucasfilm is only interested in safe and obedient filmmakers, please watch Rian Johnson's body of work, specifically the episodes he did of Breaking Bad. Lucasfilm has obviously had difficulty keeping directors, but it's not like they're just sitting around hiring the Marc Webbs of the world. I think people are being too hard on Kathleen Kennedy, especially since we don't know all the facts.

And by the way, I'm happy with Abrams coming back. Did I have some issues with TFA? Yeah, but it still managed to be an excellent time at the movies, and a great way to revive the franchise. I found it to better than all three of the prequels combined. I obviously hope they don't just recycle ROTJ, and I do hope they take a few more risks than they did previously. Regardless, he's a fine director, and I have no issue with him being behind the camera. As a writer? We'll see.

the greenman

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yes, I'd love to see one but so much pressure on casting someone to take up the mantle.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Leia and Luke were 19 yrs old in New Hope. So the actress should be a young teenager. Millie is 13.
Maybe. But Fisher and Hamill were in their mid-20s when New Hope was filmed I think. I'm not deep into the fandom of SW, but I would assume Fisher was beloved by all and any attempt to recast her would be highly scrutinized.

the greenman

Maybe. But Fisher and Hamill were in their mid-20s when New Hope was filmed I think. I'm not deep into the fandom of SW, but I would assume Fisher was beloved by all and any attempt to recast her would be highly scrutinized.
I'm sure, but they would have to do the role justice. Some of those one-liners were ad-libbed. If she or any actress can convincingly do the part correctly, then at this point it will be accepted. Besides we're talking about 5 yrs from now.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

the greenman

Kennedy talks future films:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.comi...ses-talks-for-next-ten-years-of-star-wars/amp

“We’re sitting down now, we’re talking about the next ten years of Star Wars stories and we’re looking at narratively where that might go; future stories beyond Episode 9, with these new characters, Rey, Poe, Finn, BB-8, but we’re also looking at working with people that are interested in coming into the Star Wars world and taking us to places that we haven’t been yet, and that’s exciting too because it’s a vast galaxy far, far away… The possibilities are endless.”

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
11/2: 'Next 10 years'? Zoinks!

11/8: Star Wars: A New Hope Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 40th Anniversary 3-LP Collector's Edition on sale December 1.

the greenman

Hmmm, I'm overjoyed by this, but at the same time I'm kinda dismayed. Johnson is one of my faves. I want more original material from him as a filmmaker.

Either way, I look forward to seeing whatever else they create. Curious if this will involve what's already been planned. I remember early the rumors were the Han Solo, Rogue One, and Boba Fett films was a trilogy. Highly doubt it now.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Wow, a fourth trilogy so soon? I'm not necessarily surprised, but I figured this wouldn't be announced until even after Episode IX. Still exciting.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
11/9: Wow, Kennedy wasn't joking when she hinted the next 10 years. So probably post-Skywalker and maybe another time skip? The possibilities on what they'd focus on next...

11/13: That new Star Wars Battlefront II video game appears to add to the new movie canon

11/22: Rian Johnson comments on the 4th trilogy. He sounds excited to get into it but says he's at the very beginning of figuring out what the trilogy will be about.

11/29: Daisey Ridley said she's done after IX.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts