Upcoming Star Trek Films News and Speculation Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I hope he is using the softer meaning of the word reboot. Something along the lines of "I'm not going continue where the previous movie ended, but I'm not going to start everything from the scratch either." I would personally be 100% fine with a standalone movie, with 100% original cast of characters with no connections to any of the previously established characters or storylines, but doesn't restart the series from the very begining either.

But, if nothing else, at least Noah seems to get the franchise and likes it, which is a nice change of pace for people who only use the franchise to kickstart their directing career (Baird), outright think that the franchise is boring and should be completely retooled (Abrams) or like the franchise, but are action directors hired for their action sensibilities (Lin).
I would agree, personally I am not attached too much to the Kelvin Timeline, so I would be fine if they used the Kelvin crew or not, I am just glad Abrams is no longer directing, I am sick of nostalgia bait. We do not need to reinvent the wheel.

Star Trek 09 seems like one of the best things he has directed because the nostalgia bait was somewhat subtle and 10 years ago nostalgia was not an overpowering presence in the cinema, but everything else he did was filled with obvious nostalgia bait.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
I personally think that ST09 is awful. The main character is unlikeable dudebro, the story is shallow and there's too much focus on the action. Sure, it's not the worst Abrams movie, but that's because he somehow made everything that was wrong with 09 even worse in Into Darkness. 09 was the first Star Trek related thing I ever saw and it almost turned me off from the entire franchise (thank God I later gave Wrath of Khan a shot).

I don't think nostalgia baiting is Abrams' biggest flaw as a filmmaker. He simply just has no storytelling skills and if you hand him a subpar script, he won't elevate the material. Just look at his Star Wars movies. Force Awekens had a decent script, so he turned up with a decent movie, but when Rise of Skywalker had a bad script, he made a bad movie. And both his Star Trek movies were written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who are both complete hacks and have never written a single good script during their careers.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I personally think that ST09 is awful. The main character is unlikeable dudebro, the story is shallow and there's too much focus on the action. Sure, it's not the worst Abrams movie, but that's because he somehow made everything that was wrong with 09 even worse in Into Darkness. 09 was the first Star Trek related thing I ever saw and it almost turned me off from the entire franchise (thank God I later gave Wrath of Khan a shot).

I don't think nostalgia baiting is Abrams' biggest flaw as a filmmaker. He simply just has no storytelling skills and if you hand him a subpar script, he won't elevate the material. Just look at his Star Wars movies. Force Awekens had a decent script, so he turned up with a decent movie, but when Rise of Skywalker had a bad script, he made a bad movie. And both his Star Trek movies were written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who are both complete hacks and have never written a single good script during their careers.
I hated Force Awakens, the nostalgia bait and the lifting the plot from A New Hope, made me loathe that film.

Fair enough, I have not seen that movie in a while and maybe it does not hold up, I think it still had some good moments to it, but Kirk was a jerk, still like it better than Force Awakens or Into Darkness, which just rip off better films.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA

Believe it or not, Abrams spun a DAMN good yarn on Alias. It eventually got too circular and repetitive, but that show the reason I was a fan to begin with.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Believe it or not, Abrams spun a DAMN good yarn on Alias. It eventually got too circular and repetitive, but that show the reason I was a fan to begin with.
That's fair, but he has lost his touch and the nostalgia baiting he does gets on my nerves.

Into Darkness lifted a whole scene from Wrath of Khan and Force Awakens lifted the whole plot from A New Hope. Rise of Skywalker was bad on the nostalgia baiting, but not as bad as those other 2 films.

I am glad he is not directing this next film, I hope its just an interesting new story, not another story with a revenge obsessed villain with a doomsday weapon. I hope Hawley does something new and gets these movies out of the rut they have been in for a long time.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Kelvin Picard could be played by Jason Statham.

I mentioned that I wanted Statham to play Professor Xavier in the MCU in another section of the forums. Patrick Stewart has portrayed both characters for years.

I want Statham because he's a bald Englishman like Stewart. And Statham is the right age to portray Picard in the Kelvin timeline. Stewart turned 52 during the production of TNG season 6. Statham is 52 now. And portraying Picard would be a huge departure from the antiheroes Statham is used to portraying.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Statham and Stewart are as far from removed from one another as the Earth is from Pluto. Stathman as Picard sounds like one of those intentionally bad parody trailers from the Grindhouse double-feature or Tropic Thunder.

No offence man, but you do know that shaving someone's head in order for them to play a bald person is not the same thing as blackface or the like? And even if it was, there are other bald people more fit for the role.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Statham and Stewart are as far from removed from one another as the Earth is from Pluto. Stathman as Picard sounds like one of those intentionally bad parody trailers from the Grindhouse double-feature or Tropic Thunder.

No offence man, but you do know that shaving someone's head in order for them to play a bald person is not the same thing as blackface or the like? And even if it was, there are other bald people more fit for the role.
I suspect PF9 has never actually seen Star Trek. That's probably the reason behind all of the bad suggestions there.

Edit:

I should also point out that a Kelvin Picard is an exceptionally stupid idea while there is a, you know, ACTUAL Picard series on the air. That would be hugely disrespectful to Patrick Stewart.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I should also point out that a Kelvin Picard is an exceptionally stupid idea while there is a, you know, ACTUAL Picard series on the air. That would be hugely disrespectful to Patrick Stewart.
Come to think of it, yeah. It's probably for the best that we'll likely not get a Kelvin timeline version of the Next Generation crew.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I think the whole ideq of Picard is pretty much putting the Kelvin-verse to pasture. The cast alone is costly as all get out. Unless they come up with a very good ideq, unfortunately Trek returns to where it began.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I think the whole idea of Picard is pretty much putting the Kelvin-verse to pasture. The cast alone is costly as all get out. Unless they come up with a very good idea, unfortunately Trek returns to where it began.
That and the upcoming Hawley-directed film will likely focus on a new cast as he said that his film will be a new direction/beginning for the film series.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Simon Pegg says Star Trek 4 may never happen:

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fone Bone

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Not having ST4 may be for the best since one of the actors from the three existing Kelvin movies is no longer with us.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I’m adding Primo to Triad, turning it into QUAD. So now it’s Qubo, DiscFam, UniKids, and Primo. Should I add V-Me Kids to it for preschool content? It’s a sister channel to Primo, so it won’t affect it that much.
am I the only one posting the updates for Slimetime while nobody else seems to care????
R.I.P. Tomi DePaola, author and illustrator from my home state, best known for children's books such as Strega Nona.

He was so young.
In my April Fool's Day prank regarding either Mediacorp reviving Kids Central or Universal Kids merging with Qubo, I mistakenly called Primo TV as "V-Me Kids". I guess V-Me Kids ceased operation years ago. Sorry.