Upcoming Nick Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockorockorocko

Hey all, figured another thread involving Nick's UPCOMING projects (both green lit or pilots ordered) is worth having, considering they don't fall into the ratings or schedule threads that they get buried in, or lead to the discussion going off track. Perhaps a mod can determine if this thread is redundant, but I feel it plays a part. I figure this is more speculation/rumors than scheduling.

I'll start things off with Nick's press release on Power Rangers Super Megaforce:
“Power Rangers Super Megaforce” to Air on Nickelodeon in 2014

Weird they'd announce this while the show is on a hiatus. But some interesting info. The rangers will be able to morph into ANY PR team in the past. Intriguing, but I have no clue how they'd execute this and not make it feel forced.

----

Also, I saw the Rabbids Invasion preview on Nick.com. Holy smokes I was not impressed at all and cringed with what I had seen. Basically there's NO dialogue, just the Rabbids acting out and getting into situations. If we haven't dumbed a show down to rot the brains of our children yet, this might be able to do so. And Nick has 26 episodes of this? This is definitely burn off worthy at 7 a.m. weekday mornings. Looks really bad...

----

One more thing, here are shows that fall into this thread IMO:

Animation: Rabbids Invasion, Breadwinners, Blake and the Aliens
Live Action: The Haunted Hathaways, The Thundermans, Awesomeness
Acquired: Digimon Fusion

Not sure if upcoming seasons or renew/cancel info can count. But let's see how this goes!

Burgundy Ranger

Follower of Power Rangers, especially TV listings
Here's my issue with the recent PR promotion. During this hiatus (which, if the 2 Samurai years are any proof, will result in another significant permanent erosion of the viewer base), all the buzz has been about which former PR actors were being brought back for guest spots in Super Megaforce. Now we get the release and the start of the promotional push for PRSM.

My concern is that this will overshadow and divert attention from the 13 remaining Megaforce episodes that have yet to be shown. My guesstimate is that it's not resuming until September or, more likely, October. The show has already been banished to lesser-viewed timeslots. It's the perfect recipe for bad viewership totals. (I won't say 'ratings' because we no longer get ratings) Nick doesn't lift a pinky for this show.

ToonJay723

Staff member
That's all? Power Rangers? What about more Sam and Cat? What about T.U.F.F. Puppy's fate?

T.U.F.F. Puppy is cancelled, and they probably won't air any of the 30 remaining episodes until years later. Invader ZIM was cancelled in 2002, the remaining 6 episodes didn't air until 2006. As Told By Ginger was cancelled in 2003, the remaining episodes didn't air until 2009. You just have to give up or try to find episodes that aired in other countries.

ILDC

T.U.F.F. Puppy is cancelled, and they probably won't air any of the 30 remaining episodes until years later. Invader ZIM was cancelled in 2002, the remaining 6 episodes didn't air until 2006. As Told By Ginger was cancelled in 2003, the remaining episodes didn't air until 2009. You just have to give up or try to find episodes that aired in other countries.
Weren't they releasted on DVD and/or overseas before?

dth1971

T.U.F.F. Puppy is not cancelled, it has yet to air in the USA the rest of Season 2 and episodes from Season 3 on Nickelodeon and/or Nicktoons in the USA!!!

J21697

How about we focus on UPCOMING Nick programming, not TUFF PUPPY, it's getting annoying now, clearly nobody knows when the show is coming back so..

SaneMan

kinda surprised a senior member is the one having this sort of quirk
would expect that sort of behavior from a noobie

also, there not being any dialogue in a cartoon does not necessarily have to be a bad thing
"Oggy and the Cockroaches" and it's spiritual successor "Zig and Sharko" were both comedy gold, without a single line of dialogue being uttered
Not to mention, considering the nature of the Rabbids games, making it dialogue heavy would probably count as a jumping the shark point, right from the start nonetheless
The Angry Birds shorts seem to do pretty well without dialogue too
Will have to watch the shorts my self, before forming a proper opinion

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
This is a good idea for a thread, rockorockorocko. Continuing with the discussion of Power Rangers, I'm going to speculate about a potential renewal of PR's airing contract with Nickelodeon past 2014 and Super Megaforce.

I could see Nickelodeon giving early Sunday morning time slots to PR and Digimon, and if possible for the show to return there, potential PR episodes airing on Vortexx Saturday morning. Those would be times from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., or against Disney Junior programming. Those are usually the lowest rated shows all week on Nickelodeon with total viewers, especially from 6 to 8, so those times are probably not that important to them. I believe Nickelodeon does not want PR airing against regular Disney Channel programming should the deal be renewed in 2015. I am also doubtful that Nickelodeon will allow Power Rangers to air on Saturdays in 2015. If they were willing to pull Megaforce off Saturday on the day of Sam & Cat's premiere, I feel that Nick would prefer not to air the show on Saturdays on a regular basis.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
Interesting that the ghosts look like humans. I thought they would have the pale white, floating, Casper-like look to them (minus the big eyes and head). Anyway, this is definitely an intriguing series. Unlike Marvin Marvin, the idea feels more unique, and if the actors have some good talent, this could be nice. Although, I am wary that the showrunners are the people who made Bucket and Skinner's Epic Adventures, as I did not like that show at all. But, I'll just stay optimistic, as every show, no matter how bad it sounds, deserves a chance.

rockorockorocko

I have high hopes for The Haunted Hathaways and The Thundermans. Both shows have fresh casts and potential tween stars to be the "face" of Nick moving forward. Also like the fact we see PARENTS as part of the main cast and they'll probably deal with more family/sibling issues and plotlines... nice for Nick considering the "super star" themed shows recently (iCarly, BTR, Victorious, HTR). On top of that, if Sam and Cat holds up, NIck will likely have a hit for them to thrive under until they get their fan base.

I think I read somehwere the only ghost is the little boy. He is the voice of the penguin in Happy Feet. Definitely a talent.

BTW, I know this is kinna off topic, but I feel like Nick should try to develop a sitcom that has a guy as the lead. Granted, tween girl leads seem to get the best ratings, but this doesn't exist on any of the networks and it might help as Nick tries to broaden it's reach. Might be worth considering, maybe get Schneider on for a second Nick show, since he usually has two going on at once.

---

Here's what I think will happen regarding the new shows:

- Rabbids Invasion and Breadwinners will premiere together in August on a Friday night block.
- LoK Book 2 will premiere in September alongside TMNT's second season.
- The Haunted Hathaways will premiere on Saturday, Oct. 5 to coincide with Halloween.
- Swindle will premiere the day after Thanksgiving (just as iCarly's finale) and The Thundermans will premiere after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockorockorocko

Just saw a promo for Awesomeness TV. It'll be hosted by Daniella Monet. And it looks more like Incredible Crew than All That, which is pretty sad IMO... Weird thing is it's premiering in two weeks, on MONDAY, July 1. Interesting that its premiering in two weeks, without much word. I wonder how heavy Nick is gonna promote it and how time it'll premiere on Monday. Look like Nick is really gonna push for other premiere nights...

J21697

Why is it being given only 2 weeks worth of promotion? Same thing happened to MvA and look where it is now..the weakling of the SAT AM lineup

Also, you could add the Untitled Rachel Crowe project, that, according to her, is filming (I don't know if she meant the pilot, or a series as a whole) she confirmed it on twitter

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
After catching a Sanjay and Craig repeat on my DVR, I saw a promo for Awesomeness TV. It will premiere on July 1st at 8. I don't know if the promo's online, but it's very similar to other sketch shows for kids, such as Incredible Crew on CN, or So Random! on DC, and even All That, and will be hosted by Victorious alumni Daniella Monet. It looks pretty dumb, but all the shows I mentioned aren't all that great, and All That really doesn't hold up well, and it seems the actors are having fun, so I'll just wait and see.
-------------------------------------
As for Rachel Crow, I completely forgot about the project. I assumed Nick forgot about it, since there was little talks. It makes me wonder if the One Direction project is still in the works.

rockorockorocko

I'm less concerned about the quality - more concerned about the lack of promotion (kids will watch anything nowadays). The show is really coming out of nowhere and on a Monday night? There's much less competition this night - especially in the summer when a lot of shows are off season, but for a lowly promoted kids show on cable primetime? Yikes.

It looks more like Incredible Crew than All That, which is unfortunate because I was hoping Nick would try to recapture All That's success, but I guess this is where it's going moving forward. Maybe with Figure it Out doing so well last Thursday at 7:30 p.m. (if they decide to air FiO's last six episodes that is), they felt ATV would benefit from it as a lead in. Sadly, I think it'll have the same fate as You Gotta See This, which only made it out for 4 episodes before being canned.

---

BTW, no news on Rachel Crow's show, but if she said she's filming I guess there's a pilot at least. If it is going, I bet the long wait was because Nick was planning on it being a music themed show, but they canned it after they decided to move away from that genre.

And the One Direction show was a rumor I believe. Nick did air a 1D special, but there were never plans for a TV show.

I think Nick should try to answer to Disney's Girl Meets World. A revamped show of a 1990s hit... Saved by the Bell comes to mind. And what's Will Smith's son doing aside from big screen? Would be cool to see him star as the next "Fresh Prince". Highly unlikely, but Disney's romping up new shows like nothing. Nick needs to remain relevant.

MegaJ

Like a spring breeze.
Oh wow, I thought awesomeness tv was going to be for fall. I don't think Nick has high hopes for it at all, or else it would premiere on Thursday. Not on Mondays at 8pm... It might just be Nick just threw it up there like "see? Summer programming!"

The Haunted Hathaways looks like it'll be good, and yeah I thought they would look my ghostly, but I think there might be some special effects done and what we're seeing is just a cast photo. Love the fact they're using a perfectly mixed-race cast.

J21697

Oh wow, I thought awesomeness tv was going to be for fall. I don't think Nick has high hopes for it at all, or else it would premiere on Thursday. Not on Mondays at 8pm... It might just be Nick just threw it up there like "see? Summer programming!"

The Haunted Hathaways looks like it'll be good, and yeah I thought they would look my ghostly, but I think there might be some special effects done and what we're seeing is just a cast photo. Love the fact they're using a perfectly mixed-race cast.

Yeah I also like how the cast is diverse, which is good. Nick seems to be aiming for more diverse themed shows that value friendship (Sanjay and Craig, Sam & Cat) and family (Haunted Hathaways, The Thundermans)

I just feel like the sketch comedy idea is drawn out and old. CN tried to create another sketch comedy, but that obviously failed..they could have at least put it on a different network.

My point is they are wasting valuable air time promoting shows that likely wont succeed..

A little off topix, but I think what made/makes disney ahead of the game is that they plan ahead. A lot of their shows are going to be ending soon, so they stack up. If Nick had stacked up with new programming prior to the crash, would they be in the position they were in earlier in the year?

rockorockorocko

I think we gotta remember the reason Nick hit rock bottom was them trying to compete with Disney by trying to be Disney. That meant focusing on tween sitcoms and live actions shows that mainly focused on superstardom. And although that led to huge hits in iCarly, BTR and Victorious... it caused Nick to become a poor man's Disney with a bunch of other live action sitcoms that went nowhere: Bucket and Skinner, Supah Ninjas, Fred: The Show, How to Rock, House of Anubis, You Gotta See This, Marvin Marvin... of course some of those weren't that bad and had decent success, but Nick couldn't produce a hit to save their life and their Big Three was dropping in the ratings and the casts were getting older and less relatable.

I say all that because Nick did exactly what they needed to do, go back to their roots and focus on their cartoons. During the ratings collapse, Nick basically had SBSP and FOP reruns, and a bunch of fails on the Nicktoon end (some of it their fault)... half of the lineup got shipped to Nicktoons or was put on hiatus. But since 2012, we have had hit after hit in LoK, TMNT, SJC and the return of FOP. This is the best Nick animated lineup since the early 2000s as far as quality, diversity and overall success. This is why Nick got back on track, because of its animated lineup and IMO, this is where Nick should focus.

With that said, Nick does need sitcoms for the older demos, but it shouldn't be the half dozen plus that Disney has (conversely, Disney only has a few cartoons). Sam and Cat, The Haunted Hathaways and The Thundermans is all Nick really needs, and they need to drive these home so they can be the highest quality possible. I think other shows like Megaforce and Awesomeness TV can help round out the lineup, but aside from maybe one more sitcom, I think that should be it for Nick.

Let Disney be Disney and let Nick be Nick. Nick's rebranding (consistent premiering times/days, blocked programs, solid advertisement and promotion, animated bumpers, focus on animation) will be pivotal for Nick. If SaC holds up, and THH and TTM can be solid, Nick will really have a fresh top-tier animation and live action blend that could propel Nick forward even more so then their recent year-to-year growth.

----

BTW, check this website for Nick info. Already some clips on Awesomeness TV, which is only 13 episodes. Also, "Blake and the Aliens" has been renamed "Get Blake", for 26 episodes, will air in the Winter.

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q6bdW41TcQk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts