"Gotham City PD" (HBO Max) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A spin-off TV series for the upcoming The Batman live-action movie is in the works for HBO Max, from Matt Reeves, Terence Winter, Dylan Clark and Warner Bros. Television.
The series does not yet have a title although some have been calling it Gotham Central, harkening back to the police procedural comic from writers Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka, and GCPD. Either way, it would deal with police detectives working in the shadow of one very bat-like vigilante.
HBO Max says the series will be "set in the world Reeves is creating for The Batman feature film and will build upon the motion picture’s examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City, ultimately launching a new Batman universe across multiple platforms. The series provides an unprecedented opportunity to extend the world established in the movie and further explore the myriad of compelling and complex characters of Gotham."

Comments?

Related threads
:
"The Batman" Live-Action Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)
DC on HBO Max General News and Discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Sounds like we have another Joker situation where the pitch was something completely different but made some slight changes in order to be a Batman property.

Frontier

Staff member
When I was thinking of a live-action Batman who would get an expanded universe, I was not expecting it to be Pattinson :sweat:.

I am kind of intrigued by a lot of this in terms of a TV show set in the actual continuity of a DC film and how it might expand/play off stuff the movie does. Will this feel like more Gotham Central compared to what Gotham ended up being? Will it feel like a police procedural that actually feels like it's in Batman's world or if the Batman aspect will feel completely incidental :confused:.

I am kind of curious if any of the movie actors will appear in the series. I guess they could just use a stunt-double for any Batman scenes :p.

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, the purse strings are open. What is this, the 6th HBO Max series in development? That explains some TV deal news about Reeves the other day. So guess Jeffrey Wright has another gig. A new police show in today's climate? Hm.
Admittedly we're talking about the GCPD, so iguess you could do a very honest and realistic depiction of police...

reflection01

Admittedly we're talking about the GCPD, so iguess you could do a very honest and realistic depiction of police...

I guess. Still seems like a weird time to announce a new cop show based on a film that won’t come out for another 15 months.

HBO Max is going to have how many different DC shows seemingly in different universes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

reflection01

Not great news but I’m fine if it does a few things right.

—A defined story told over a specific number of episodes. (Most important)
—Does not involve a young Bruce Wayne or Thomas and Martha are regular characters obviously before they are murdered.
—Focuses on the Gotham underworld and any members of the rogues gallery are not known by their nickname or wear their trademark outfits. I’ll include no Penguin here. That was one thing Gotham did well before I stopped watching.
—No cop propaganda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, Pattinson's Batman is in his second year, so he might still be a factor in this...although it sounds like it could be set way earlier if it's to show how Gotham became, well, Gotham :confused:.
I could go for that. Batman doesn't necessarily appear but they're looking into odd cases where they find criminals tied up or beaten. Or have Pattison/Bruce as a guest for an episode.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know I gotta admit I for awhile thought I had a clue where the DCEU and it's films were headed but honestly they keep twisting and turning things around and changing one thing and then deciding to go back on a change and then re changing that it's hard to really know exactly what their game plan is. The only thing I can guess at is maybe for some inane reason they are still trying to go forward with some snyder roots even after his Justice League cut thus instead of doing the most logical thing and "Flashpointing" the series with Wonder Woman 1984 still waiting for an actual Flash movie to do that, thus they have to give more of a reason to have a solo Batman film series doing it's own thing. Joker was meant to be more this one shot sort of experiment after all that didn't put much money in (and in fact even outsourced some of the production cost for that movie... which in retrospect is really stupid since if Warner Brothers fully fronted the bill for that movie they'd reap all the profits of it without having to split it between different houses) but "The Batman" is obviously a big budget Batman movie meant to be a trilogy. But how can you justify having a separate Batman series while still having Batman in the DCEU in a totally different rule? "Uh... oh separate universe and this one uh has a show attached to it" which is how we got this. I think I said it before but it's worth repeating; due to how well known a lot of popular facets from Superman and especially Batman's world are I imagine they're easy things to pitch to networks for series even if they don't involve the main heroes cause you still have that loose connection which is how of all people Alfred got his own show and now we're getting yet ANOTHER Gotham show.

However this can't be a Gotham situation where it's a prequel series because yeah that's already been done. And especially how the press release was stated it's clear this is meant to take place around the same time as The Batman movie franchise and probably just deal with different cases the GCPD would mop up with only occassional appearances or references to Batman. I mean if they have the same writing team and this is being made for a streaming service it's clear they want it to directly connect to the movies to the point where you have to see at least some form of Pattison's Batman somewhere in that first season. They can't just totally separate him if they're trying to build this as their own universe which again seems like the only reason this show was really made. It could still be good as there is plenty of room for you know more D level villains actually being able to be taken on by the GCPD in Gotham but eh it would have to be a totally different feel and vibe to really work since Gotham got a pretty like warm reaction and you want this to be something to attract people to the streaming service right DC?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Well, Pattinson's Batman is in his second year, so he might still be a factor in this...although it sounds like it could be set way earlier if it's to show how Gotham became, well, Gotham :confused:.
This time they'd have to go along the lines of Batman led to more over-the-top criminals. The warring mobs of Gotham seem to always dwindle down to supervillain feuds even though there was no mistaken supernatural savior.

Road to Gotham

I hope they use Josie Mac.
I liked her backup stories in DETECTIVE COMICS and her appearances in GOTHAM CENTRAL.
Hopefully Jeffery Wright will be available to appear in a few episodes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I found out that the original All That is not created by Dan Schneider. Is that true?
WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!

Featured Posts