Unpopular Opinions

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
America must be such an amazing place if the worst thing happening there is friends helping each other move and telling each other secrets.
It seems to me that the rest of the world is always saying that Americans are a bunch of whiny, pouty, entitled aholes. I'm merely suggesting a reason that may be. America has larger problems than its etiquette. But it's problems also would be a lot less worse if its etiquette were better.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I hate the internet on April Fool's day. An important resource for me becomes utterly useless arbitrarily for one day of the year. It would be one thing if the jokes were new and funny but they are all basically people posting bits of obviously fake news after fake news and saying "April Fool's" as if they actually fooled us with their brilliance. Yes, I definitely believed Quentin Tarantino was making an R-rated Hello Kitty film on April 1st before I clicked on the link. How clever of you to trick my enfeebled mind with your patently superior intellect. Good one, you Oscar Wildeian wit. You sure showed me which of the two of us is actually stupid.

Pooky

Staff member
Is that really that unpopular, especially if someone watches a lot of movies?

As with many of these things, it depends who you ask. In the 90s it was often presented as an accepted truism in print media that films (at least Hollywood films) had been terminally "dumbed down". These days there is some pushback against that. And now those same 90s films are among those "old" films a lot of us think are better!

Zorak Masaki

I prefer the weekly model of tv to the all-in-one/binging model. First of all, I usually only watch one episode of a show at once anyway, even if it's all up there, and second, it leaves you wanting more. Plus, look at all the online discussion for Wandavision and Falcon and Winter Soldier, if the whole show was uploaded at once, there wouldnt be any fan theories or anything interesting like that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm not talking the model of how to watch television. I'm talking the quality. Television in the past 20 years has been far superior than the entire run of the medium before it. By far.

The best proof that TV is better now then it used to be is that David E Kelly, the worst TV writer in Hollywood, used to routinely win Emmys. He doesn't anymore.

Seriously, I can't degrade Kelly's Emmy wins enough. It's as if Joe Eszterhas routinely won Oscars.

Zorak Masaki

To be fair, my discussion on the model of watching tv wasnt meant as a reply to your opinion on tv, that's just how it ended up looking.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
As with many of these things, it depends who you ask. In the 90s it was often presented as an accepted truism in print media that films (at least Hollywood films) had been terminally "dumbed down". These days there is some pushback against that. And now those same 90s films are among those "old" films a lot of us think are better!
From what I gather the perspective hasn't changed. There was always some pushback because with every passing year of Hollywood the technology gets better, there are generally more movies made and you're bound to find more than enough movies that aren't "dumbed down" even beyond the ever growing list of movies nominated for awards.

Pooky

Staff member
I think if you were to ask the average consumer under a certain age about movies at any given point in film history, they would say they like new movies more, and don't really look back when it comes to films that much; I remember someone saying they didn't like Dumb and Dumber much any more because it was "a bit old", and that was about four years after it came out! But for many years the critical establishment seemed to generally feel that the Golden age of Hollywood, or perhaps the New Hollywood of the 70s, or the French New Wave of the 60s was the true promise land. And it's in the critical sphere where I think you've seen some pushback on this idea in recent years, for better and/or worse.

I'm not sure that the number of movies being given awards necessarily says that much about the average quality of contemporary films though. The Academy expanded the number of nominees in 2009 partly in response to declining ratings, for example.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
But for many years the critical establishment seemed to generally feel that the Golden age of Hollywood, or perhaps the New Hollywood of the 70s, or the French New Wave of the 60s was the true promise land. And it's in the critical sphere where I think you've seen some pushback on this idea in recent years, for better and/or worse.

I'm not sure that the number of movies being given awards necessarily says that much about the average quality of contemporary films though. The Academy expanded the number of nominees in 2009 partly in response to declining ratings, for example.
This says how much I'm not in tune because the consideration of the 70s or 60s as the new Golden Ages is not at all something I'm familiar with. Those decades are indeed the ones I see referenced as being the birth of movies becoming more blockbuster-oriented.

I guess you could say declining ratings is either a dumbing down of culture or the institutions' own failings in their consideration/rewarding of movies. Still, the only point I was making is that if said institutions are/were highly regarded those would be the types of movies that would be seen as being in direct contrast to lowbrow entertainment. And there have been and always will be a lot more similar movies that those award places don't recognize, especially for Animation.

creator

Could it be survivorship bias? The movies from the 60's and 70's that we talk about today are the ones that have had a lasting impact (artistically, culturally, politically, etc.). I assume there are plenty of movies from those eras that aren't good, but we don't hear about them as much.

Pooky

Staff member
Yeah, that's part of it. I also think movies obtain a certain exoticness once their style or subject matter or approach is no longer standard. There are some movies I find worth in now that I dismissed in the 90s and 00s. Yesterday's bland mediocrity is today's good old days.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I hate the internet on April Fool's day. An important resource for me becomes utterly useless arbitrarily for one day of the year. It would be one thing if the jokes were new and funny but they are all basically people posting bits of obviously fake news after fake news and saying "April Fool's" as if they actually fooled us with their brilliance. Yes, I definitely believed Quentin Tarantino was making an R-rated Hello Kitty film on April 1st before I clicked on the link. How clever of you to trick my enfeebled mind with your patently superior intellect. Good one, you Oscar Wildeian wit. You sure showed me which of the two of us is actually stupid.
I think April Fools Day would be much more fun for everyone on Animesuperhero if every member was only allowed to create 1 thread that day. (or rather March 31st - April 2nd due to international users) A few members create so many threads and ruin it for everyone else. The few original threads get buried by the hundreds of bad ones.

I have proposed this several times but no one seems to agree, so this proposal belongs in this thread.

Anyways, I don't think anyone here actually thinks we can fool each other on that day. It's just nice to tell each other ridiculous fantasies.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't really care about competitive eating, especially with the likes of Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi as I find both of them overrated.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jessica Walters' death reminded me of one.

Everyone who has seen and loved Arrested Development is pretty unanimous in declaring it perhaps the best comedy cast ever assembled for television. Even Alia Shawkat, who got little attention elsewhere, is pretty amazing. The popular consensus is that as far as the cast goes, Arrested Development is faultless.

I don't agree. There is a weak link. What disturbs me is that I am always the only one bringing it up, so I feel weird. But if this IS a controversial or unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. Anyone who disagrees is the actual weirdo, not me.

But I cannot stand David Cross as Tobias Funke. Everything the character does is creepy and unfunny. I'm not saying Cross is a bad comedian. He's funny in other stuff. But somehow on a show with a group of characters with few redeeming qualities, Tobias somehow manages to have none at all. Every second he is on-screen I cringe. I will never consider Arrested Development a perfect show as long Tobias has the huge role he does. He utterly sucks on every level and there is no part of me not disgusted with him. He's not the slightest bit funny.

creator

Jessica Walters' death reminded me of one.

Everyone who has seen and loved Arrested Development is pretty unanimous in declaring it perhaps the best comedy cast ever assembled for television. Even Alia Shawkat, who got little attention elsewhere, is pretty amazing. The popular consensus is that as far as the cast goes, Arrested Development is faultless.

I don't agree. There is a weak link. What disturbs me is that I am always the only one bringing it up, so I feel weird. But if this IS a controversial or unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. Anyone who disagrees is the actual weirdo, not me.

But I cannot stand David Cross as Tobias Funke. Everything the character does is creepy and unfunny. I'm not saying Cross is a bad comedian. He's funny in other stuff. But somehow on a show with a group of characters with few redeeming qualities, Tobias somehow manages to have none at all. Every second he is on-screen I cringe. I will never consider Arrested Development a perfect show as long Tobias has the huge role he does. He utterly sucks on every level and there is no part of me not disgusted with him. He's not the slightest bit funny.
This might be the first opinion I disagree with in this thread! I think Tobias is hilarious, but I respect your opinion.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts