Unpopular Opinions

Dr.Pepper

The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle is a pretty good movie. It's problem was that it was compared so heavily to Roger Rabbit at the time. But compared to most of the other underwhelming remakes of popular properties Dreamworks, Illumination, and other modern studios have cranked out over the last five or ten years, it's quite enjoyable.
Funny story about that movie, but when my family rented it my dad made a comment about how they did a good job matching the voices. I guess he had no idea that was June Foray doing the voice of Rocky.

ShadowBeast

I find Ashoka Tano from Star Wars overrated. it feels like she was created because of some popularity that Shaak Ti had, but since Shaak Ti was an adult, Ashoka was created to give the audience a young-version of the character.

The same information above applies to most piercings. Some ear piercings or a nose stud look okay to me, but in my opinion, there are some body parts that should NEVER be pierced under any circumstance.
I agree, though even piercings on the nose look bad to me. You have the booger-rings and with nose studs, I can't help but see them as metal pimples.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I watched Uncut Gems last night and I fail to see what all the fuss is about. People are raving about Adam Sandler's performance, like it's a breakthrough for him because he usually does comedies, but this is not the first time he's done a serious role (see Punch Drunk Love). His performance is fine but it's nothing that original. The plot is largely uninteresting, since we get the gist of where it's going in the first 20 minutes: A guy who is in over his head paying back debt collectors, and hounds people who owe him things/money in return. It's also hardly the first film about sports betting. There's a lot of overlapping yelling in the movie which was exhausting after a while. There are plot developments that go nowhere (for instance, Howard's colon cancer scare). The worst part has to be the electronic score, though: It distracts from the movie rather than supplements or enhances it. This is especially true in the first five minutes- I almost shut the movie off because the music was annoying me so much. I won't give away the ending, but it's incredibly unsatisfying and abrupt.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I've got a doozy.

I've been wanting to post this one for awhile but I haven't due to utter fear of the blowback I'd get for it. Mods, I ain't trolling and this is something I actually do believe. But brace yourselves.

George R.R. Martin is a terrible writer.

I think he might be one of the worst writers currently living, and "A Dance With Dragons" is probably the worst book I have ever bothered finishing.

Yeah, the dude knows his troops movements, and how to construct fictitious battles, but all of his Fire and Ice books end on cliffhangers he is too lazy to ever complete. I talk smack about Greg Weisman never delivering satisfying endings, but I DO give Weisman a BIT of leeway there simply because "Life goes on" is built into all of his projects. Martin on the other hand, simply has no idea how to finish a story, and thinks depicting increasingly horrible things happening to characters readers grow to care about is actual drama.

Does anybody here post on The Storyboard? Because chances are if I have read your stuff, you are a better writer than George R.R. Martin. And I'll tell you why. People talked a LOT of smack about Sansa's rape scene on Games Of Thrones, but the Jeyne Poole scene in the book was far worse, especially because Martin was inflicting the torture on a woman the reader barely knew and cared about for shock value. After reading that scene, I nearly threw the book across the room. I finished it instead and yeah, it's the worst book I ever finished.

Here is a writing test to know if you are better writer than George R.R. Martin. There is a line during that scene in A Dance With Dragons (that I can't repeat on this website) where Ramsey Bolton tells Reek about wetting his tongue for an appalling reason. If you are a writer of fiction and have never written that specific line, you are automatically a better writer than George R.R. Martin.

What floors me the most about that line and scene is that Martin has any fans left after that. He chose to share that bit of his sexual psychologically of where his mind goes to when thinking about hurting women, and he's mobbed at conventions by fans instead of a pariah who is rained upon rotten vegetables every time he leaves his house. The fact that he seems to possess no shame for that line or that book is another reason he is so awful.

People think the last two seasons of Game of Thrones sucked. And they did. But neither or them was a hundredth as bad as A Dance With Dragons. Ultimately I accept the finale because I knew how much worse it could have been. And I thought the finale sucked.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I can forgive a series for having a bad finale. That doesn't ruin the series for me at all if everything else is good. For the same reason, a perfect finale doesn't suddenly make a crappy series good.

I am a bit less forgiving when it comes to books, and even less for movies. It's hard to think of a movie without thinking of the ending.

But I haven't seen or read Game of Thrones so what do I know :sweat: My sister says she prefers the books simply because she keeps forgetting the names of certain characters in the series. That obviously doesn't happen in a book.

khuddle

Boy that is a very brave (some would say foolhardy) position you've taken there, Fone Bone.

My opinion of Martin? I was riveted by the first four books of Game of Thrones. I couldn't put them down. I think I read the first three over a span of several days -- barely taking time to eat or even go to the bathroom, I was that mesmerized.

But the fifth book was a mess. And the TV series (which Martin has to be at least somewhat accountable for) was a massive disappointment.

And of course it is 2020 and we're still waiting for the sixth book in the series, some NINE years later.

So would I call him a terrible writer? I wouldn't go that far. Overrated? Hugely.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Boy that is a very brave (some would say foolhardy) position you've taken there, Fone Bone.
I expected a ton of fire for offering it. But the Jeyne Poole scene told me I needed to. The most foolhardy thing about the opinion isn't that it's untrue (I don't think it is). It's the amount of blow-back I could potentially get for offering it.
My opinion of Martin? I was riveted by the first four books of Game of Thrones. I couldn't put them down. I think I read the first three over a span of several days -- barely taking time to eat or even go to the bathroom, I was that mesmerized.

But the fifth book was a mess. And the TV series (which Martin has to be at least somewhat accountable for) was a massive disappointment.

And of course it is 2020 and we're still waiting for the sixth book in the series, some NINE years later.

So would I call him a terrible writer? I wouldn't go that far. Overrated? Hugely.
Reading somebody else thinking this makes me feel a little less crazy.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
If it weren’t for Maladroit, Raditude would be my favorite Weezer album.

Speaking of Weezer, I actually find Pink Triangle to be one of their worst songs. The vocals and instrumental are just awful in it.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
David Letterman's stint hosting the Oscars in 1994 was unfairly maligned.

He was funny, got some good celebrity digs in, and the people in the audience hated him for it. But what could you expect from a group of people so out of touch they believed the awful Forrest Gump was a better movie than either Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption?

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
The 1995 Oscars in general had some odd choices. Besides Forrest Gump winning over Pulp and Shawshank (I don't even dislike Forrest, but... come on), there was the omission of Hoop Dreams from the documentary category, which is just wrong. Also Quiz Show didn't win anything? Seriously?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The 1995 Oscars in general had some odd choices. Besides Forrest Gump winning over Pulp and Shawshank (I don't even dislike Forrest, but... come on), there was the omission of Hoop Dreams from the documentary category, which is just wrong. Also Quiz Show didn't win anything? Seriously?
You're right. It was 95. It was for the movies of 94. But Forrest Gump is an outright bad film. It's embarrassing it won at ALL much less against Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption.

I forgot that Hoop Dreams was robbed too. That was a bad year for the Oscars.

As for Quiz Show not winning anything, I can't for the life of me think of a category it deserved to win in that specific year. Best director should have been Tarantino, best picture either Fiction or Shawshank. Best supporting actor was an embarrassment of riches that year. Martin Landau in Ed Wood was a worthy choice, but Samuel L Jackson and Chazz Palmentari in Bullets Over Broadway also brought the goods.

1994 was the best year for film since any in the 1970's. Quiz Show would have walked away with an Oscar in any other year but this one. Forrest Gump is especially embarrassing for winning in such a film rich year.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
^ It should've been.

Joking.

(Or am I?........ Yes, I am)

Here's another one: Despite not having the creator on board, Community's fourth season was not that bad. In fact, I actually prefer it over the fifth season, which (at times) got as dark as the latter half of season 3, and the absence of Pierce was noticeable (much as I like Jonathan Banks in Breaking Bad, his character was not a great substitute). That said, season 5 does contain a couple of my favorite episodes: "App Development and Condiments" (the one where an app causes the campus to divide into different classes) and "G.I. Jeff" (the animated parody). "Analysis of Cork-Based Networking" also has one of the funniest Annie jokes in the series:

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
94 was also the year of Clerks, The Lion King, and Leon: The Professional. I like all of these listed films a good deal better than Forrest Gump.

It may have been awhile since I've seen The Lion King, but I know for a FACT it holds up far better than boring old Forrest Gump, honestly. Besides being one of Disney's true finest triumphs in 2D western animation in general.

Clerks is definitely something that deserves way more any and all accolades for being far more relatable to the average working class person not too proud of their lot in life, as well. Especially because what Clerks is trying to say? I'm proud to exclaim this much: IT STILL HOLDS UP EVEN TODAY. Unlike boring old Forrest Gump!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts