Unpopular Opinions

Light Lucario

Staff member
I also really don't see the appeal behind The Loud House. After hearing so many people here praise the show, I thought it would be interesting and watched a couple of episodes. While it wasn't terrible, it wasn't really good either. There were some nice messages in the episodes I watched, but it seemed pretty standard fare for an animated kid show. That isn't a bad thing by any means. Not every show aimed at kids have to be groundbreaking or be able to appeal to both kids and adults. It just came off as overrated and nothing to really write home about.

Similarly, I think that Miraculous Ladybug is extremely overrated. It looks beautiful and the CGI animation for a TV series is impressive, but it is again all style, no substance. While that does seem to be a common issue for me with some shows, that can work if the style is impressive enough, but even then, I usually need some amount of substance to keep up with a show. I find the whole will they/won't they love drama between Marinette and Adrien, the reason why they can't learn their secret identities didn't make sense, the villain is pretty lame, the monster of the week format gets pretty stale after awhile and Chloe was beyond insufferable. I still remember when there was so much hype for the series and it still seems to be doing well considering that they recently announced getting episode orders for seasons four and five when they're still in the middle of season two.

Granted, this is just going by season one. I don't know if season two improves upon the first one. Doing something against the formula would help, especially when some of the better episodes/moments involved Marinette and Adrien actually interacting with each other. Plus, binge watching the series might work better than waiting every week due to how formulaic the series can be, but I don't have much interest in checking it out anytime soon.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't think this was mentioned before so I'll bring it up now. I actually enjoy watching the Powerpuff Girls reboot. While it's not exactly perfect, it shouldn't be recognized as the worst thing Cartoon Network ever thought of. That title belongs to CN Real.
Honestly? I like the reboot better than the original. Yeah, the animation is worse, and the stories less focused. But the original was just plain cynical and mean-spirited as hell. I can actually enjoy this version, at least when they give us a good episode.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I honestly think Gym Partner had more mean-spirited moments than original PPG, but I guess everyone has their own silly opinions.
Never saw Gym Partner so I can't say. The original series' meanness is REALLY hard to quantify. And it's for this reason many people think I'm crazy for thinking that. But the original series is a satire about all of the worst tropes of action cartoons. And the fact that the Narrator and the Mayor of Townsville all outwardly celebrate these horrible notions and make them sound reasonable and virtuous is why the show is mean. It's making fun of the tastes of the kids who actually enjoyed it. I understand why adults at the time liked a show that told its audience they sucked, but if I were a kid years later, I'd resent the hell out of it after the fact.

But none of this is overt, and is just in the subtext of everything that happens. Craig McCracken masterfully gave himself plausible deniability as to whether or not he IS the dillweed of the year by making the show. And it's the fact that I only feel it in my gut, and cannot prove that opinion, which is one of the reasons I think the show sucks. If it had the convictions to stand by the awfulness of the things it was satirizing, I'd respect it more. I famously hate the first 50 episodes of Family Guy. But that show at least embraced the cynicism of the cliches it made fun of in no uncertain terms. I have a feeling that The Powerpuff Girls only hinted at how much they hated kids and their tastes because they didn't have the courage to back that opinion up. They'd get letters if they were blunter. I hate Seth MacFarlane and all of the crap he constantly pulls. But he's at least willing to ALLOW me to hate him without defenders of his show telling me I have him all wrong. And that's what I hated about the original series.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I honestly think Gym Partner and Foster's (especially Foster's) had more mean-spirited moments than original PPG, but I guess everyone has their own silly opinions.

As someone who loves all three shows, I truly agree with this.

-While Adam Lyon did do some admittedly pretty dumb things on Gym Partner, he didn't deserve at least half of the crap he gets.
-And while some characters do get their comeuppance on Foster's, some of it is way too heavy-handed for them to deserve (even Bloo-- as much of a brain-dead dingus he is, gets too much of a blow-back sometimes) And Frankie gets way too much thrown her way for no reason. To say nothing about the disgusting actions done there.
-And classic PPG does get in on this at times as well-- I will not deny it. Can't list specific events here though, because I haven't watched it in a while.

Safe to say, even some of my favorite cartoons and TV shows hit the jugular much more than needed for me these days.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I absolutely love Brother Bear. It's easily one of my favorite Disney movies. I like the story, the visuals are great, the music is great, the bond between the bears and brothers are really nice and I thought that the message was really touching. I still don't understand why it's unpopular to like the movie. It's really good.

I also really like The Good Dinosaur. I'm not sure if it would be one of my favorite Pixar movies, but it was really solid. The story beats were pretty predictable, but I didn't see that as a problem when they were pulled off effectively. The premise was interesting, the main lead was likable and there were plenty of emotionally effective moments. Unlike Brother Bear, I can kind of understand why some people may not like this movie. While it is a good movie, it isn't really groundbreaking compared to some of other Pixar movies. Coming out the same year as Inside Out definitely didn't do it any favors, but I think that The Good Dinosaur is a really solid movie.

I also never quite understood the hate for the CN Real era of Cartoon Network, at least to a degree. I can understand not liking the idea of live action on a channel called Cartoon Network and most of the shows weren't held in high regard either, but it was still easy to ignore that stuff by watching other shows on other channels. No one was forced to watch those shows. Plus, it wasn't like Cartoon Network never aired live action content before that era.

Anti-Hero 69

I also never quite understood the hate for the CN Real era of Cartoon Network, at least to a degree. I can understand not liking the idea of live action on a channel called Cartoon Network and most of the shows weren't held in high regard either, but it was still easy to ignore that stuff by watching other shows on other channels. No one was forced to watch those shows. Plus, it wasn't like Cartoon Network never aired live action content before that era.

But those were movies and syndications of the Goosebumps TV show, not in-house productions.

And on a couple of unrelated notes, I never understood why Cartoon Network not only aired Jurassic Park 3, but advertised the hell out of it.

Also, I love the Hotel Transylvania series.

DragonKnightGX

Most Nintendo franchises don't interest me apart from YKW, Inazuma, slight Kirby, and slight Pokemon.

Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman were good movies.

I like Nightcore.

The Vita was good.

I only like cheese pizza. No toppings.

I liked both Toon Disney and Jetix.

kanc

Ever since then, Nick at Nite only cares about the shows that Warner Bros Television distributed.
Except one show: The Goldbergs that's currently airing Nick at Nite is NOT Warner Brother distributed

Dr.Pepper

I prefer Disney’s Doug to the Nick version. Actually I’m not a real big Doug fan, but I’m far more familar with the Disney version. When my family first got Toon Disney in 2001, Doug came on during dinner time and it was on as background noise. I didn’t start watching Nick until 1998, so by that time Doug was pretty much gone.

Nobodyman

Hunter x Hunter - One of the most mean-spirited, sadistic, inhumane, sociopathic series I have ever read. Some clever writing aside, I have no love for it.

Black Lagoon - Hated this damn. Wants to be like Tarantino movie, but without any of the charm, likeability, or cleverness.

Space Jam - Ah good ol' 90's nostalgia. Yeah, I guess it's pretty corny, but I don't think it's that bad.

Batman Forever - More 90's nostalgia. Honestly, I still think it holds up pretty well and is my favorite of the 90's Batman movies (yes, including the original Tim Burton's Batman)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Live Action) - Yeah, I can see why people don't like it, but I think Jim Carrey was just a hoot in this.

Rugrats - Yeah, it was a fun cute show, but I never got why it essentially became Nick's flagship series.

Mr. Deeds - I think this one of Adam Sandler's more forgotten films, but at the time I think it was pretty reviled. And I honestly don't get why. I think it's a funny movie and, honestly, pretty inoffensive my Adam Sandler standards.

Product Placement - A lot of people hate it when movies do this, but it doesn't bother me at all. Even the more blatant instances.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
FUN TIME...

Star Vs. is only watchable for me because of Ludo and/or Toffee - but they're not the core focus, so it sucks. Star is obnoxious, dresses with no real sense of style IRL, and drags equally less than stellar characters down around her. I don't find any of the humor funny or engaging. It's too goofy and somewhat stupid to truly be taken seriously. It's got romantic plot tumors in some places - the same reasons I almost ditched on Regular Show and Adventure Time, thankfully, those shows BOTH got over it, which is why I STILL LOVE THEM, unlike this nonsense.

Yeah - I don't like Star Vs. - it's like Sailor Moon but with even less charm, wit, or conviction behind it.
I thank God every day that Milo Murphy's Law, Tangled: TAS, Big Hero 6: TAS, Ducktales (2017), Legend of the 3 Cabelleros, and even Big City Greens, all came around to show me how it's done!

The Loud House
is boring mediocrity whenever it focuses on Lincoln & Clyde's antics - the only time the show shines through as something worth watching is when Lincoln is co-staring among the family-focused efforts OR if the focus is primarily on the sisters (Heck, I don't even like some of them - and yet, somehow, anything focusing on them is still better than anything focusing on the show's true MC(s) - simple as that, IMHO.). Thank God for seasons 2 & 3 realizing more focus needed to be put on the sisters - too bad there are still a lot of episodes that aren't good, even with them at the forefront, honestly.
I'd rather Welcome to the Wayne AND Harvey Beaks be what saved Nickelodeon, really - those shows are both not just awesome, but AWESOME.

Steven Universe is boring, overrated, not violent enough, definitely not funny enough, and slow to do anything truly worthwhile, IMHO. Say what you will about Clarence, Gumball, We Bare Bears, Unikitty!, Craig of the Creek, Adventure Time, Regular Show, OKKO!, Mighty Magiswords; heck, even Teen Titans Go! - each and every one of these shows is better in some aspect, another, and/or more, if you ask me. If I had to make a ranking list from most-to-least favorable, SU would be dead last on that list every time, no questions asked.

Last edited:

Dynamite Soldier

FUN TIME...

Star Vs. is only watchable for me because of Ludo and/or Toffee - but they're not the core focus, so it sucks. Star is obnoxious, dresses with no real sense of style IRL, and drags equally less than stellar characters down around her. I don't find any of the humor funny or engaging. It's too goofy and somewhat stupid to truly be taken seriously. It's got romantic plot tumors in some places - the same reasons I almost ditched on Regular Show and Adventure Time, thankfully, those shows BOTH got over it, which is why I STILL LOVE THEM, unlike this nonsense.

Yeah - I don't like Star Vs. - it's like Sailor Moon but with even less charm, wit, or conviction behind it.
I thank God every day that Tangled: TAS, Big Hero 6: TAS, Ducktales (2017), Legend of the 3 Cabelleros, and even Big City Greens, all came around to show me how it's done!

The Loud House
is boring mediocrity whenever it focuses on Lincoln & Clyde's antics - the only time the show shines through as something worth watching is when Lincoln is co-staring among the family-focused efforts OR if the focus is primarily on the sisters (Heck, I don't even like some of them - and yet, somehow, anything focusing on them is still better than anything focusing on the show's true MC(s) - simple as that, IMHO.). Thank God for seasons 2 & 3 realizing more focus needed to be put on the sisters - too bad there are still a lot of episodes that aren't good, even with them at the forefront, honestly.
I'd rather Welcome to the Wayne AND Harvey Beaks be what saved Nickelodeon, really - those shows are both not just awesome, but AWESOME.
Definitely gotta agree with you on both Star Vs. and The Loud House, Shokew. Star Vs.'s humor can get really flat at times, most of the charcters aren't properly developed, and the romance plotline nonsense is really getting out of the way. Not to mention the show doesn't know what it wants to be from the start (is it a fantasy comedy? A plain comedy? Fantasy drama? Teen drama? Romance? What the heck is it at this point?), forcing itself to end up like Steven Universe. The story arcs are pretty good, but they're just all over the place. However, I'll probably continue watching the show only because of them, despite the messiness. I couldn't care less for the show's other aspects.

The Loud House is a good cartoon IMO, but it's getting so overpraised. Seasons 2 and 3 are significally better than season 1, but at the end, its just a typical slice-of-life animated kids' sitcom. A lot of episodes are either a hit or a miss. Most of the show's fanbase is horrendous though, to the point where there are times where I don't want to watch the show. And I too think Harvey Beaks and Welcome to the Wayne are better cartoons than The Loud House and deserve far more recognition.

More unpopular opinions of mine:

I still use traditional television, even more so than Netflix, Hulu, etc. Not that I'm against streaming. I do have a subscription to Netflix, but there are currently about five or six shows that I watch there. I also use the On Demand section from my cable provider (Xfinity/Comcast) at times, and I download stuff from the iTunes Store occasionally. I'm fully aware that people around my age range use streaming platforms more often nowadays, but I'm just always so used to watching live television. I think it's a nice experience to watch my shows and movies at the same time as others, even if I have to suffer through commercial breaks.

I really dislike social media, especially Musical.ly, Instagram, and Snapchat. The former is really cringe and stupid and the latter two always boost people's egos. Also, I don't want to be involved with so much drama from others.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Sorry if I offend someone for saying this, but Steven Universe isn't all that great. It's painfully flawed, the storyline is a little hard to follow and there's too much singing. I don't like musicals at all. Also the fact that they're all females makes me question their sex life.

Anti-Hero 69

Sorry if I offend someone for saying this, but Steven Universe isn't all that great. It's painfully flawed, the storyline is a little hard to follow and there's too much singing. I don't like musicals at all. Also the fact that they're all females makes me question their sex life.

The gems could probably either have lesbian sex or change gender accordingly. Gems are technically genderless.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
I need something else I need to get off my chest - Rick & Morty isn't that good of a show. The show is basically Back to the Future on steroids, and after that McDonald's Szechuan Sauce incident (and PICKLE RIIIIIIIICK), this show has really gone downhill. TBH, I've only seen Season 1.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts