Unpopular Opinions

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I just can't seem to like the 2017 Duck Tales, as much as I want to. The art style is mildly interesting but not particularly appealing, the characters talk incessantly, and like so much these days it can't seem to let a poignant moment land without cheapening it with a weak joke. It can be somewhat inventive, but it's too slow and staid to be an irreverent Teen Titans Go-style take on the material or a Phineas and Ferb-style romp, and for me it's not funny enough either.

Now to be fair I've seen a relatively small number of episodes in full, I could yet turn around on it one day. But it's been rubbing me the wrong way recently with all the pandering to Disney Afternoon nostalgia. Get the show you're remaking right first.
You're not wrong. The cartoon is vastly overrated and completely counter to the Disney Duck comics. It is literally written by a group of people who don't seem to like anything about the Disney Ducks.

Reactions: Pooky

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
Most episodes don't have any characters from other Disney Afternoon cartoons. Did you only watch the ones that did?
No, I have seen some that don't and I'm aware that it's not all episodes which do, but I did watch the Quack Pack/Goof Troop episode and I've seen a fair bit of publicity about some of the other cameos, which is why it's on my mind at the moment.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Apr 23, 2007
In the now, man
animrevelation.web44.net
I don't stand with indifference towards The Brave and the Bold at all, but I agree with an extent to the recent DuckTales. My big problem with that is the show's insistence to focus on the nephews and Webby over Scrooge, Donald, and Launchpad. No matter how hard they try to give Huey, Dewey and Louie distinct personalities, even succeeding in enough cases, I'll almost never want to focus on them over the other characters. The original show had a better balance with its cast IMO, even if that wasn't a perfect adaptation of the Carl Barks comics, either.

I do think it can be pretty funny, and has decent world building. But my take is that the original is one of the best cartoons from its time, while the new one is just another good cartoon in the modern era. I think the OG DuckTales still holds up pretty well today, but I'm not sure how NuTales is going to look in a few years.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I like the DuckTales reboot. I do think it's a tad overhyped/overrated, especially when I think that there are other really great series on Disney Channel that are more overlooked by comparison, but I think it's pretty good. Maybe it helps that I barely remember anything about the original DuckTales and I never read any of the comics, but as its own thing, I think that it's fine. It's one of the few reboots to come out in the past few years that didn't result in a massive backlash, so that's pretty neat.

Reactions: Red Arrow

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I don’t know if I said this or not, but I usually don’t have an issue with the uncanny valley. A specific example that came up recently was the scene from the Steven Universe Future episode “Homeworld Bound” where Spinel takes over White Diamond’s mind. A lot of the people where going on and on about how it was uncanny valley and nightmare fuel and I’m like “......no it’s not.”

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I don’t know if I said this or not, but I usually don’t have an issue with the uncanny valley. A specific example that came up recently was the scene from the Steven Universe Future episode “Homeworld Bound” where Spinel takes over White Diamond’s mind. A lot of the people where going on and on about how it was uncanny valley and nightmare fuel and I’m like “......no it’s not.”
I thought that the scene was more weird and funny than anything else. I can kind of see why Spinel in White Diamond's body came off as creepy, but it wasn't really what I'd consider uncanny valley or nightmare fuel.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
I'm not a fan of "The Thief and the Cobbler", even the recobbled cut. Yeah, it has amazing full animation in the Richard Williams-supervised scenes but the story is underwhelming, the characters are bland (it's always a bad sign when the characters hook up at the end and you don't care, or feel like there were scenes missing to explain what they saw in each other), and there are some sequences that add nothing to the narrative (the polo sequence being one of the worst offenders). Yes, it's better than the Allied Filmmakers and Miramax cuts but that's not saying much.

EDIT: Want to clarify, this is not a knock against Garrett Gilchrist's hard work on crafting this cut. It's more that the work itself (animation aside, of course) wasn't that great to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

J.T. Drago

May 20, 2018
Virginia
I enjoyed Angela Anaconda. Admittedly it's been years since I've watched it, so I don't remember a whole lot, but I remember liking it. Guess it's because I found Angela relatable, what with dealing with bullies and not-so-great teachers. I never really understood where the sudden negativity came form. I remember when I was a teen (28 now. Oh God...) re-watching the show online, people went on about how it was their childhood and stuff. Now, it's almost nothing but negativity. It's like it's cool to hate the show now or something. Really don't get the whole show looking like nightmare fuel thing either. Plus I liked the little Digimon skit back then. I kind get some of the criticisms like the style of the show or Angela's nasally voice, but I've heard that some supposedly complained about not liking Angela's dream sequences since it seemed like she wanted to hurt Nanette or something like that. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Kind of tempted to rewatch it to see if I still like it.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Personally, I'm also sick of the Loud House.
I always found The Loud House to be highly mediocre. Not terrible, mediocre, which is all the sadder for me, despite some ok to truly great episodes being here and there, throughout the series (especially around S2 and beyond, IMHO.)...

Every day, I wish Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, and now It's Pony! and Glitch Techs all got a fair chance to actually shine on the channel, and in the case of the first two, going on three with It's Pony!, actually lasted longer than they have, too.

If a majority of these shows lasted longer and got more airtime alongside TLH, Nick would be in much better shape, content-wise.

And, of course, 4chan and their ilk just about HATES all those shows I mentioned (HB, WttW, Pony, and yes, even Glitch Techs), yet they worship the crap out of this mediocre show. Not exactly for the show itself, either - but the content it produces from so-called fans, which is kinda hard to discuss around here, all for good reasons, too.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Yeah, I never really understood the appeal of The Loud House either. Admittedly, I've only seen a few episodes, but it didn't really strike me as anything amazing. It was just okay at best. I haven't heard that much excitement for it over the past couple of years, but I also don't keep up with most Nickelodeon shows anymore.

J.T. Drago

May 20, 2018
Virginia
Every day, I wish Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, and now It's Pony! and Glitch Techs all got a fair chance to actually shine on the channel, and in the case of the first two, going on three with It's Pony!, actually lasted longer than they have, too.

If a majority of these shows lasted longer and got more airtime alongside TLH, Nick would be in much better shape, content-wise.

And, of course, 4chan and their ilk just about HATES all those shows I mentioned (HB, WttW, Pony, and yes, even Glitch Techs), yet they worship the crap out of this mediocre show. Not exactly for the show itself, either - but the content it produces from so-called fans, which is kinda hard to discuss around here, all for good reasons, too.
I remember hearing that Nick decided to just decided to cancel Harvey Beaks out of nowhere on Twitter and the creator was less than pleased. Such a shame too since I started to watch it when it was about to end, and I was enjoying what I saw. I haven't seen much of WttW, but what I saw was interesting. What's going on with It's Pony! though? That show just aired! It's already over? Halfway done with Glitch Techs, but I'm already hoping for another season.

Though you got me curious. What does 4Chan hate about those shows? I know it's 4Chan and all, but I'm genuinely curious what makes those shows so bad to them.

As for The Loud House, I like it. It's not something I'm excited about, but if it's a new episode, I'll give it a watch. What's surprising though is that my mom watches it, since she's hardly ever interested in cartoons minus the ones she grew up with. She does seem to enjoy some of the sisters (Lisa probably being her favorite), so...yeah. It is kind of interesting (and a bit unfortunate) learning that Chris Savino worked on Kick Buttowski since I enjoyed that show, but c'est la vie.

And I guess another unpopular opinion, I liked the Marvel shows from Man of Action. It's tough to explain why. I guess I kind of liked some of the humor in them, though I do understand why others don't. They have flaws, but they were fun to binge through.

Reactions: Zanneck

MrCan

Dec 30, 2018
United States
I liked the Loud House at first, but then it just got too predictable and boring for me. The Casagrandes is also setting up to be The Loud House but Latino.
........I don't see what is unpopular about this comment here. Spongebob has been Nickelodeon's "Simpsons" for quite some time.
True, but outside the network, it does get tiring to see the same Spongebob memes (and other stuff) over and over again.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
I'll be honest, I could never get interested in The Loud House. What I've seen of it did not impress me, and it's made by the guy who ruined Dexter's Lab and The Powerpuff Girls, so why should I trust his track record?

The fact that Chris Savino turned out to be a creep is just unfortunate.
Yeah. I still haven't forgiven Savino for ruining 2 of CN's finest shows from the 90s - early 00s (I admit I'm not too big on Dexter's Lab, but it actually knew how to be funny and give Dexter (its MC) justifiable comeuppance whenever he deserved it for how his overall character ultimately was, which is nice; Old-school PPG is this close to being an all time favorite series of mine, however - 'nuff said.) with his hackery, honestly.

Nor have I forgotten. It's only thanks to better writers than him that I'm able to stomach TLH in all its mediocrity, really.

Last edited:

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
I really don't like it when people either dismiss or praise a film by citing its Rotten Tomatoes score. Either cite a specific review of set of reviews you think accurately or astutely reflects the film, or tell me your own opinion. Aggregates aren't that interesting.

Animaniacs has not aged very well and Pinky and the Brain is a lot more hit-and-miss than I remembered. Freakazoid was never very good.

Angry Beavers is my favourite Nick Toon.

I'm not a fan of "The Thief and the Cobbler", even the recobbled cut. Yeah, it has amazing full animation in the Richard Williams-supervised scenes but the story is underwhelming, the characters are bland (it's always a bad sign when the characters hook up at the end and you don't care, or feel like there were scenes missing to explain what they saw in each other), and there are some sequences that add nothing to the narrative (the polo sequence being one of the worst offenders). Yes, it's better than the Allied Filmmakers and Miramax cuts but that's not saying much.
I am very interested in the film but don't think it would have been a "great" film in any conventional sense. I also came away from the Persistence of Vision documentary with limited sympathy for what happened to Williams in the final stretch. He signed an agreement with Warner Bros for considerable funding to complete the film by an agreed date; he didn't come close and treated his staff badly in the process. Yes, in an ideal world someone like Williams would be able to complete their art as they wanted, but that isn't the world he was entering in by signing with Warners, and as a 30 year industry veteran he must have known that.

I enjoyed Angela Anaconda.
I'm not a fan, but I will say this; it still looks and feels utterly unique, and hasn't aged a day.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
The biggest problem I have with Animaniacs is that it feels so extremely forced and it never makes me laugh because of that. I also don't like cartoons with similar humor like Pinky and the Brain and The Spooktacular Adventures of Casper. I did like The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries as a child (not so much nowadays), but because of the mystery, not because I actually thought it was funny.