Unpopular Opinions

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
It matters to the fan fiction writer. And for them, that's what counts. I'm sure most fan fic writers are aware that their stories won't change the actual canon, but they enjoy making their own interpretations and headcanons anyway. I've read some enjoyable fan fiction here and there, so I'm cool with seeing other people's interpretations of established works, even if many fan fics are lousy (mostly because many fan fiction writers are novices).

Same goes for people who like to draw fan art. They draw it for their own satisfaction first, regardless if their fan art is consistent with the source material or their own style on it. I mean, most artists make art for themselves first. Yeah, I have my own characters that I like to draw, but I'm no stranger to drawing other people's characters or adding my own spin on said characters. Heck, some artists get jobs because of their fan art (in spite of what some instructors try to tell you).
Point taken. Have I mentioned how smart and awesome you are lately? Because I feel like if I don't do it at least twice a day I'm spending my day wrong.

Believe me, I have taken notice that whenever I have voiced a "wrong" opinion on this website, you are almost always the person to set me straight. That has not gone unnoticed by me and is appreciated. You keep me honest like no-one else.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I'm not into Taylor Swift's music anymore, especially after "Look What You Made Me Do", hence I prefer Ariana and Halsey over her music.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
"The Principle and the Pauper" is a great episode of The Simpsons. It amazes me how even the producers have disowned it. As an adopted kid, it really resonated to me how the show basically gave the message that family is what you make of it.

I also think the worst thing Al Jean did as showrunner was break up Mrs. Krabappel and Principle Skinner. And this episode is one of their best together and how I choose to remember them.

And who doesn't love Homer's runner in the car over why everybody is coming with them? Unfunny people, that's who.

"Up yours, children!"

Reactions: I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
"The Principle and the Pauper" is a great episode of The Simpsons. It amazes me how even the producers have disowned it. As an adopted kid, it really resonated to me how the show basically gave the message that family is what you make of it.

I also think the worst thing Al Jean did as showrunner was break up Mrs. Krabappel and Principle Skinner. And this episode is one of their best together and how I choose to remember them.

And who doesn't love Homer's runner in the car over why everybody is coming with them? Unfunny people, that's who.

"Up yours, children!"
I didn't mind that episode, either. Then again, I legitimately didn't stop liking The Simpsons until after Season 13, honestly. It's Season 14 where said show died for me, not Season 9 or 10 like people love to exclaim.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I think Jane Espenson is a outright bad writer.

She's an amazing human being, and super responsive to fans (which is good), but I think her writing is terrible. She sexually humiliated the female characters on Buffy and Once Upon A Time in the name of drama. I get Lifetime movies do that too, but there has to be a better way to empower women than that. You can argue that specific cautionary tale was necessary on a show like Buffy, but what was her excuse for doing that to young Cora on Once Upon A Time? After she joined the writing staff I stopped seeing the Enchanted Forest as an ideal to work towards, and more as a pit everyone was better off without. Every time I see that she's joined a show I watch, it invariably gets worse. I'm not going to blame her entirely for that, but it happens way more often than usual to be a coincidence.

walter

NickKid
Jul 28, 2018
Chamblee
Creepypastas tend to suck for me. Most creepypastas are just shock value, no creativity, or downright stupid to read, especially those "lost episode" creepypastas. There are good ones sure, but you have to look very deep to find them.

Gatordragon

Artful Alligator
May 14, 2012
The Land of Flowers
This might be controversial but here it goes: Parents who complain about how certain pieces of media are "corrupting children's minds" are just too lazy to talk to their kids.
On a similar note, gamers who scoff at people who complain about video games corrupting kids and then turn around and say that lootboxes are "corrupting kids into gamblers" are straight-up hypocrites. Especially when they're perfectly fine with booster packs in trading cards or mystery bags even though they are also randomized like lootboxes. While I do prefer direct purchase microtransactions over randomized ones, the gamers going "Won't somebody think of the children" over lootboxes rings hollow and sounds like they're using children for their own gain.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
My mother was completely against trading cards packages that don't show you want you will get, and she would be against lootboxes as well (if she knew what it was), but she is not against video games. I don't find it hypocrite at all. We could buy whatever we wanted with the money we had, as long as we knew what we're going to get.

(I had to look up what lootboxes were though :sweat: )

Gatordragon

Artful Alligator
May 14, 2012
The Land of Flowers
My mother was completely against trading cards packages that don't show you want you will get, and she would be against lootboxes as well (if she knew what it was), but she is not against video games. I don't find it hypocrite at all. We could buy whatever we wanted with the money we had, as long as we knew what we're going to get.

(I had to look up what lootboxes were though :sweat: )
Considering your mom is against both booster packs and apparently lootboxes, she would not be a hypocrite. But people like your mom are not the who that I'm referring to. I'm talking about the gamers who are against lootboxes, but are totally fine with booster packs, despite both being basically the same concept. And they also use the same 'Oh noes, this is corrupting children" rhetoric for lootboxes that people who demonize video games also use.

Furthermore, I'm also against lootboxes, booster packs, and other randomized microtransactions, whether they are digital or physical. However, I'm not against them because of some "think of the children" bullcrap, I'm against them because their randomization is not consumer-friendly compared to direct-purchases that guarantee that you know what you are getting.

Last edited:

TheJLeeTeam

Beak Freak & Bronikitty
Sep 9, 2018
USA
www.deviantart.com
After hearing about the SpongeBob spin off Kamp Koral, I now prefer Cartoon Networks reboots (TTG, PPG and Ben 10 2016) over anything Nick has at the moment. They actually amused and entertained me more than New SpongeBob, Loud House, and Rise of TMNT. I find most of the episode plots of more interesting, the action is decent at times and they have so bad it’s good tone to them. Whereas Nicks content is more dull.

Reactions: I.R. Shokew

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
I feel like when I post something important, nobody else seems to care, except few others

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
I saw the first 5 episodes of the new Evangelion dub earlier today and it honestly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I feel that most of the hate comes from people who grew up with the ADV dub and used that as a benchmark. People who just got into Evangelion for the very first time, or those who have only watched it in its original Japanese dub, like me, most likely wouldn't even be fazed by it. Further elaboration:
I haven't had time to watch the entire redub on Netflix, but I'm not gonna go into this with the intention of comparing everything between it and the ADV dub, since I've probably only seen like 6 episodes of the latter. That said, I've been seeing a few comparison clips on Twitter and from what I've seen so far, the redub doesn't seem that bad. Most of the complaints seem to be directed at certain dialogue changes that don't hold as much weight as the original ("I'm so f*cked up" to "I'm the lowest of the low") and the "stilted" delivery. I can somewhat agree on the former, but not so much on the latter. I do agree that the changes ADV made to the dialogue, while not entirely faithful, helped add more nuance to a scene, but the hilariously over-the-top delivery in comparison to the original Japanese sure as hell didn't. It only worked in the more comedic moments and completely ruined the tension of otherwise serious ones. In the Netflix dub, the voice acting sounds more natural and faithful to the original Japanese, and less annoyingly nasal. The new voice actors also sound much closer to what the characters are supposed to sound like.

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Absentee Guildpact
Aug 8, 2014
Ravnica
Evangelion is an amazing mecha anime, but I don’t understand why it keeps getting remade and rereleased.