Unpopular Opinions

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Havent read Rose Madder yet, but weren't there elements from Rose Madder in the Dark Tower series (in the list of previous king novels in his books, DT-related books, including RM, are in bold)? If so, he hasnt completely disowned it.
It's the other way around. There are elements of The Dark Tower in Rose Madder. That happens a lot with the Dark Tower related books. There are three types of Dark Tower related books. One type are the books that effect the Dark Tower story. The Stand and 'Salem's Lot are the most obvious examples, although The Eyes Of The Dragon, Everything's Eventual, and Hearts In Atlantis qualify as well. The second type is what Rose Madder is. Nothing in the second type effects the seven books in the series, but what happens in the seven books in the series effects the second type of story. Desperation, Bag Of Bones, and The Regulators are more of the second type. The third type is a mixture of two, in that a lot of Tower mythology occurs, but it's not actually central to the seven books. It, The Talisman, and Black House are the biggest examples of this.

Basically, the fact that The Dark Tower can be found in Rose Madder, but not the other way around, is why King feels comfortable disowning it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
The USA is one of those countries where mayonnaise has sugar in it. That kind of ruins the taste. (I like sugar, duh, but not in mayo) Belgian mayon(n)aise contains no sugar. Not in the stores and not our homemade recipes either.

We eat fries with mayon(n)aise rather than ketchup.

Reactions: I.R. Shokew

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
The USA is one of those countries where mayonnaise has sugar in it. That kind of ruins the taste. (I like sugar, duh, but not in mayo) Belgian mayon(n)aise contains no sugar. Not in the stores and not our homemade recipes either.

We eat fries with mayon(n)aise rather than ketchup.
I remember eating at a Burger King in Amsterdam and thought the mayonnaise tasted better than what I was used to. I tried replicating the same experience back in the states by ordering mayo with fries, but it tasted too salty.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Let's talk about sports. That's also a form of entertainment. I'd say about ANY American sport is better than soccer. Soccer is so atrociously boring to look at. Just a ball going back and forth. And the entire culture behind it is disgusting.

It's weird how the USA has got so many violent sports (wrestling, rugby, boxing, American football etc.), but their supporters aren't like that at all. British soccer fans used to murder and break everything in their path until at least the 80s. Somehow that spirit got lost overseas once the tea got dumped in the sea. (for the better...)

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
And the entire culture behind it is disgusting.
Ugh tell me about it. Indonesian soccer fans are the worst. I think it was only a few months ago that a guy got beaten to death on a local team's turf for wearing another team's attributes. The team ended up getting suspended so hopefully that taught those idiots a lesson.

Vaughn Max

Sep 10, 2017
Ugh tell me about it. Indonesian soccer fans are the worst. I think it was only a few months ago that a guy got beaten to death on a local team's turf for wearing another team's attributes. The team ended up getting suspended so hopefully that taught those idiots a lesson.
That's really bad

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
The British killed 39 people here in 1985 (mostly Italians), and they injured 600, and destroyed buildings.

In 1969, there was a Football War lasting 100 hours in Mexico between supporters from El Salvador and Honduras. 2000 people died.

idrottsforum.org/alsio130118

This article from 2013 gives some insights. Soccer manslaughters have become rare these days. Now it's mostly just vandalism.

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
I'm familiar with the Heysel Stadium disaster, but wow that Mexican Football War was pure insanity. Granted, there were sociopolitical nuances that exacerbated the situation. I don't think we've had any soccer-related riots that took more than 10 casualties. Yay, I guess?

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Let's talk about sports. That's also a form of entertainment. I'd say about ANY American sport is better than soccer. Soccer is so atrociously boring to look at. Just a ball going back and forth. And the entire culture behind it is disgusting.

It's weird how the USA has got so many violent sports (wrestling, rugby, boxing, American football etc.), but their supporters aren't like that at all. British soccer fans used to murder and break everything in their path until at least the 80s. Somehow that spirit got lost overseas once the tea got dumped in the sea. (for the better...)
The sad part is I like English football... We Americans (like me) ain't that great at it, but that's mostly because other, more physical and engaging sports took over, in the grand scheme of things. However, if you think this fandumb behavior over football is BAD in Europe... You haven't seen South America's insanity over said sport (or worse, Africa, because everything is usually worse off there, not just the sports.)...

Seriously, if you dislike Europe's overall behavior towards football, you're gonna be wishing it were banned... BANNED. WORLD. WIDE. Especially, ESPECIALLY after getting a load of ANYTHING concerning South American football (and maybe Africa, because why not.), m8!

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
As much as I detest soccer culture, I don't actually hate the sport. Sure, I loathe playing it, but that's just because I suck balls at it. I suck at sports in general. However, I have been to a few live soccer match soirees with friends and family, and I did enjoy the festivities. That's the only way I'll ever watch a soccer match though.

JoeMabbon

Absentee Guildpact
Aug 8, 2014
Ravnica
Carnage has always been a stupid character. He's the poor man's Venom. The other symbiotes are just as bad or worse.

Making One-Punch Man more story-driven was a misstep. Things might change, but so far I'm finding most of the politics with Hero Association and the evil monster and robot groups dull. It would be like making a story-driven Powerpuff Girls. The characters are already silly and their conflicts aren't meant to be ongoing or serious.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Carnage has always been a stupid character. He's the poor man's Venom. The other symbiotes are just as bad or worse.

Making One-Punch Man more story-driven was a misstep. Things might change, but so far I'm finding most of the politics with Hero Association and the evil monster and robot groups dull. It would be like making a story-driven Powerpuff Girls. The characters are already silly and their conflicts aren't meant to be ongoing or serious.
OPM is one of the few animes from this decade I liked, too. Hearing that makes me glad I haven't checked out S2 yet - that's the kind of disappointment I prefer to avoid, thank you very much. Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet there (whether you meant to do that or not.). Also agreed with making something like PPG more story-driven; the actual ORIGINAL (1997) show is better as what it was with little bits of continuity thrown in for good measure. If I want PPG to be story-driven, that's what fan-fiction is for.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who hates 99% of fan-fiction in general? I hope not. Original stories are always better to read - if they're bad, they're usually at least fun to make fun of; with fan-fiction, especially if it's bad??? All just pure cringe and embarrasment to get through, especially if you happen to like what said fan-fiction is based on, too.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Speaking of which, am I the only one who hates 99% of fan-fiction in general? I hope not. Original stories are always better to read - if they're bad, they're usually at least fun to make fun of; with fan-fiction, especially if it's bad??? All just pure cringe and embarrasment to get through, especially if you happen to like what said fan-fiction is based on, too.
Merlin Missy is amazing but I tend to mostly agree with you about the majority of it.

Can I just also point out why I preferring doing my original comic book instead of fanfiction of stuff I like? Because if I did fanfiction, it wouldn't actually matter. Nothing in the canon would change. But if I own the canon and am the only gatekeeper, I can do anything I want with the story, and it actually has stakes. It puzzles me that fanfiction is as popular a genre as it is. Writing original stories is not only better, but I find it far easier.

Gatordragon

Artful Alligator
May 14, 2012
The Land of Flowers
Merlin Missy is amazing but I tend to mostly agree with you about the majority of it.

Can I just also point out why I preferring doing my original comic book instead of fanfiction of stuff I like? Because if I did fanfiction, it wouldn't actually matter. Nothing in the canon would change.
It matters to the fan fiction writer. And for them, that's what counts. I'm sure most fan fic writers are aware that their stories won't change the actual canon, but they enjoy making their own interpretations and headcanons anyway. I've read some enjoyable fan fiction here and there, so I'm cool with seeing other people's interpretations of established works, even if many fan fics are lousy (mostly because many fan fiction writers are novices).

Same goes for people who like to draw fan art. They draw it for their own satisfaction first, regardless if their fan art is consistent with the source material or their own style on it. I mean, most artists make art for themselves first. Yeah, I have my own characters that I like to draw, but I'm no stranger to drawing other people's characters or adding my own spin on said characters. Heck, some artists get jobs because of their fan art (in spite of what some instructors try to tell you).

Last edited: