Unpopular Opinions - Video Game Edition

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Pooky said:
No need to apologise
I know, it's just something you say. :p

Another: The replacement music for TMNT: Turtles in Time is not that bad. Yes, the original melodies are still the best, but can you listen to, say, this track and not claim it's at least halfway decent?

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
nintendough made the right choice for the wii to be 480p maximum. uhh, insert one of my rambles about standard def here.

seeing as the wee-you had composite cable and 480i support (something its competitors did not) i’m upset that no wii u game (to my knowledge) had that option. like i can get the 1st parties not having it but i know a bunch of wii u multiplats that had 4:3 elsewhere!

Trevor

Halo is the worst game/franchise ever.

I played the original Halo when it first came out since my brother got an Xbox, and I played it, and while the multi-player was alright, I found that Halo felt too much like Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (which I had just finished in PC), and Halo just plagarised the single-player story of STVEF but just changed the characters names and the graphics. Otherwise I found I was playing the same game.

And then Halo 2 came out and again I found the single player to be poor and a repeat of other games I had played.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yoshi is Super Mario World's one misfire. For most of the game (minus one or two levels) the game is easier to play without him. In fact one of the levels at the end is so damn frustrating and hard because you NEED him to complete it.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Really, because in my experience, Yoshi makes the game EASIER. He's part of the reason the difficulty is so defanged compared to SMB3.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Really, because in my experience, Yoshi makes the game EASIER. He's part of the reason the difficulty is so defanged compared to SMB3.
Any tips on how that is so? I might need to try that out.

I think the reason the difficulty is lower is because you can basically recoup any lost lives and build up 99 lives at any point in the game. You never have to die on your last guy and see the Game Over screen even once.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
To say nothing of the fact that he gives you an extra hit (and he can be reclaimed), an extra jump, and he can walk on enemies and terrain that would hurt Mario.

In fact, I think makes the game unbalanced in the other direction. That's probably why the New Super Mario Bros. games limit him to a few specific levels.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I find Yoshi hard to control. The various buttons needed to work him properly always fumble me up. Mario is far easier for me to handle. Yoshi has all the selling points you describe. But the extra hit points and protection don't matter if I'm having a hard time moving him around.

Was this the right thread for my opinion or what?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I was going to say that Daffy Duck should have been one of the first selectable characters in Multiversus, but I'm sure that's not an unpopular opinion.

Seriously, where's Daffy? When is he going to added to the roster? And we got LeBron James, but where's Lola? Yosemite Sam? Wile E. Coyote? Granny? There are too many awesome Looney Tunes characters for there to only be 2 in this game.

Also, Shaggy and Velma get into Multiversus before Scooby Doo? What??

Last edited:

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Here's one; 3D Mario games aren't nearly as good as 2D ones.

The 3D games are almost inevitably let down by depth perception. Navigating pits and voids is so much harder in 3D, and it makes the games less fun.

khuddle

I really don't understand the fuss about the new "God of War" (2018).
I thought the gameplay was boring, the setting was ugly, and the ending was cheesy as h*ll.
Ultimately it was all about splashy production values at the expense of gameplay.

Quite frankly I found GOW 2 and GOW 3 much more interesting.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I'm getting kinda tired of retraux art/music styles that imitate the NES. It was great the first few times, but the novelty has worn off. I'd much rather see some imitations of SNES and Genesis- a few games have done it (Ghoul Boy has a very Genesis-esque score, for example), but not enough of them.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I'm getting kinda tired of retraux art/music styles that imitate the NES. It was great the first few times, but the novelty has worn off. I'd much rather see some imitations of SNES and Genesis- a few games have done it (Ghoul Boy has a very Genesis-esque score, for example), but not enough of them.

80's kids still have more disposable income and purchasing power than the generations afterward, so the typical 30 years cycle for nostalgia has been upended and we're stuck in perpetual 80's nostalgia.

I would like to see a game soundtrack evoke the low-fi charms of the SNES chip.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Here's one that would make me unpopular in the retro crowd. Whenever people complain about game updates, saying "Remember when you just put in a cartridge or CD and played?"- oh, so you like a game that is unfinished, was released in stores anyway but can never be updated to fix the bugs? And can never have additional features added after the fact?

Yes, the bigger updates are annoying to wait for, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a very welcome change from how things used to be.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
While I still alternate on the spare files marriagewise, I am a fan of Dragon Quest 5' Hero and Bianca. Infact, my Android copy of the came my complete as possible files involve Bianca of File 1 and Debora on File 3.

Also a fan of 8's Hero and Princess Medea. But yeah the true ending with her should have had Charles publicly shamed.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts