Unpopular Opinions - Video Game Edition

Pooky

Here's one that would make me unpopular in the retro crowd. Whenever people complain about game updates, saying "Remember when you just put in a cartridge or CD and played?"- oh, so you like a game that is unfinished, was released in stores anyway but can never be updated to fix the bugs? And can never have additional features added after the fact?

Yes, the bigger updates are annoying to wait for, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a very welcome change from how things used to be.

I think the argument would be that before this became standard, it was a lot rarer for AAA games to ship with very obvious bugs that seriously impacted the experience of playing the game, and you could take it home on release day and enjoy it to its fullest potential, whereas now they can release what are supposed to be major titles in a fairly shoddy form with the promise that they will fix it at some point down the line. At least that's how I feel, as someone who doesn't really buy current titles. That may be unfair when you look at the actual numbers, I don't know, I just don't like the idea of taking home the hot new title on release day and having my enjoyment held back by obvious and intrusive flaws.

Classic Speedy

Hmm
Staff member
Reporter
^ See, I'm not so sure about that. Super Mario 64 is notoriously buggy- had it come out today, a lot of these could've been fixed in updates. Yeah some of these bugs are funny or interesting and most of them wouldn't be discovered by most players, but the point still stands.

Pooky

I don't think those bugs are quite as glaring as some of those I've seen recently, certainly didn't make the game any less compelling, and within the context of the time they were easier to accept as a trade off for a game that seemed so much more advanced than any platformer that had been released up to that time (same, to a much lesser extent, with Sonic Adventure). But I'll grant we accepted a lot more bugs in the PS1\N64 era than we did before, and perhaps since.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh hey today is my 8th anniversary here, I regret sometimes not making my account sooner, since I knew about this place as early as 2012. Anyhow time sure flies.
Posting less going well. No warnings for anything so I think the board agrees. Still present for everything and DO read what you guys say. But if I see something I don't like I keep my damn mouth shut. It's for the best.
20 Years ago today, Discovery Kids on NBC launched , it was my first introduction to Discovery Kids. I didn't have digital cable so I didn't have the channel. I liked Trading Spaces: Boys vs Girls. Tutenstien, Kenny the Shark, Time Warp Trio, Darcy's Wild Life.
Reading about Shea Fontana and watching this video with Ann Austen makes me want to see them collaborate on a project someday.

Ok... I got Sky Evo..

Also thats also means....

Featured Posts