Unpopular Opinions - Video Game Edition

Classic Speedy

Hmm
Staff member
Reporter
Might as well. There are threads in the General Animation and Entertainment forums- why not one for video games?

So my first one... Rayman 3 is a MUCH better game than Rayman 2. Which is funny, because the creator of Rayman hated the third game, but really... he's wrong. Rayman 3 improved on pretty much everything from the second game:

-Better graphics. It runs at 60 fps, compared to 2's 15-30 on Dreamcast/PS2 (the PC version does run better, admittedly).
-Better enemy combat. The second game's combat is really clunky in hindsight. And there's more variety in how you defeat enemies in 3, thanks to improved strafing and the "curved shot" attack, not to mention more varied enemy patterns.
-A more varied color palette. 2's environments, while still somewhat pretty for early 2000s standards, tend to run together and feel a little drab in spots. 3 is a visual feast, with each world having a totally unique feel.
-The different power-ups give the game some much-needed variety and puzzle solving. In the second game, all you have are you standard fists.
-More humor. 2 is a mostly serious game, so the plentiful comedy in 3 is much welcomed. Some said it went too far in the comedic direction, but nah.
-The missile riding sections in 2 have NOT held up well. They're broken (it's too easy to crash due to questionable physics and hit detection issues) and there are too many of them. There are none of those parts in 3, thank God.
-I much prefer John Leguizamo as Globox in 3 over Christian Erickson in 2. Plus the third game has Billy West voicing Murfy! Automatic win.
-More innovative boss fights in 3. 2 barely has any boss battles at all, and the ones they do have are pretty unremarkable.

Rayman 2 was a great game for its time, but it hasn't held up nearly as well as 3 has.

So... yours?

Last edited:

Pooky

- Yoshi's New Island is a very fun, enjoyable and endearing game. It retreads a lot of old ground, but considering how cheap it can be bought for it's well worth picking up
- Thousand Year Door was neat and all, but so was Super Paper Mario, perhaps more so, and Sticker Star and Color Splash are also perfectly enjoyable. I haven't played The Origami King, but I'm glad Nintendo marched to the beat of their own drum rather than just buckling to fan pressure to make Thousand-and-Two Year Door. And yes I think all the paper-based gimmicks are neat, and that the paper aesthetic has been a part of the appeal of the series from Day 1. "The Paper Mario series has gotten too obsessed was paper" is an inane opinion that people mindlessly regurgitate.
- While 2D Sonic is undoubtedly best, 3D Sonic gets kind of a bad rap. Yeah, there are a couple of big misfires, perhaps no truly great ones, and the earlier ones haven't exactly aged gracefully. And it is kind of shocking how many glitches get through for such a high profile franchise (seriously, they can't even re-release the games from the 90s without glitching to high heaven any more?). But there's also a lot of fun to be had, and a lot of ambition and imagination went into many of the games too. Yeah, it looks pretty poor next to Mario, but compare Sonic's trajectory to that of pretty any other video game mascot that was around in the early 1990s, and you can see he hasn't done so bad.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
There are currently too many buttons on video game controllers. If you need more than two or three letter / action buttons to easily play the game, it's too complicated.

Edit:

Right out of the gate of this particular thread I don't screw around.

Classic Speedy

Hmm
Staff member
Reporter
I know it's critically acclaimed and has its fans, but I can't get into the Ninja Gaiden Sigma series. Taking an adrenaline-fueled platformer and turning it into a 3D beat-em-up was a mistake, as the latter is not a genre I'm a fan of. It's very repetitive, and because the action moves too fast to develop any kind of meaningful strategy, I find myself just mindlessly mashing buttons until the enemies clear the screen. Which often takes a couple minutes for each wave.

Games look great, sound great, have some epic moments, but simply aren't fun to play. Gimme the NES games any day.

Pooky

I kind of feel the same way about the Metroid Prime series, mostly because I don't really care for first-person shooters.

Classic Speedy

Hmm
Staff member
Reporter
Speaking of Metroid, that's a Nintendo franchise I've never quite gotten into. I always get stuck and never know how to proceed without a guide. The title I probably enjoyed the most was Metroid Fusion, which ironically was disliked by some because it was one of the easier games in the series.

I did sorta like Metroid Prime too, but at some point, again, I got stuck and dropped it with the intention of coming back to it at a later date, but haven't yet. Maybe if the rumored anniversary release for Switch comes out this year, I might give it another shot.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Pikachu should have had fur textures in Smash starting with Brawl.

Asa

I didn't find the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC to be that bad, despite the graphical downgrade, plus it was actually nice that we finally got Shroom Ridge from Mario Kart DS back. Also, I enjoy seeing Tour's city tracks getting combined and extended.

I don't think Smash Ultimate should be considered the final game after Sora's inclusion because to me, there's still some missing elements present in that game (the actual All-Star mode, some taunts being a bit rushed like Pikachu's, etc.), plus there's still several characters that haven't gotten in the series yet like Bandana Waddle Dee. Just because Sora is now in Smash doesn't mean the franchise has to end. There likely could be an update about the franchise's future next year at E3 (or the franchise's 25th anniversary in 2024). I'd like an enhanced port of Ultimate that fixes up the actual problems of the original release and it's previous titles.

I liked and enjoyed playing Mario Party 10, Mario Party: Island Tour, and Mario Party Star Rush.

Spacething7474

Casey Howard from the Clifford movie stan
  • ive said it before, but im still forever peeved by the ps5 not having 480p. having the absolute minimum video setting being the minimum requirement for high definition is just stupid. many pc games are starting to due this too and it also sucks, but a bit less.
  • stealing this from (presumably) a comment i saw forever ago: every game on the ps3 (and by proxy 360 and wii [although the wii’s is to a lesser extent]) should’ve had both 16:9 & 4:3 support
  • time for an actual game: haven call of the king was a great concept & solid-ish game (although it shoulda been a different medium) and is more deserving of a new entry than 2/3rds of the games getting those today. sucks that jon burton was an abusive cruncher though (i think)
-Better graphics.
silly speedy! of course a game that comes out 3 years after its sequel is gonna have better graphics!

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I feel like Sega should return to making video game consoles. Not retro consoles like the recent mini versions of the past consoles.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Atari didn’t cause the market to crash; a crash follows every new market.

The NES didn’t save video games; gamers had moved onto computers. The NES made it ok to think of video games as kids’ toys.

It’s ok to call the main character of Pokémon Red “Ash;” most of the marketing material of the time used Ash.

Satoshi Tajiri knows what makes a good game, but he takes too much credit for Game Freak’s success. He did not design & program Quinty by himself; the few interviews he’s given seem to imply that, & Pokémon wasn’t entirely original.

Pokémon Red/Blue aren’t unplayable glitchy messes; most obvious glitches take 2-3 steps to activate. That’s better than PC games of the time, or if today.

Classic Speedy

Hmm
Staff member
Reporter
Mega Man 6 is underrated. A lot of people like to dismiss it because it came out so late in the NES library (Mega Man X on SNES had debuted by that point, so it looked antequated) and the core gameplay was tired by that point, but it's still a solid entry in the series and was still adding elements so it's not exactly the same thing. Great music as always, too.

I've said this before but Metal Gear Solid 2 > Metal Gear Solid 3. Yes, MGS3 wins points for letting you play as Snake the entire time and the more beautiful jungle locales, but MGS2 had the more intriguing plot that commented on technology and modern terrorism, including the meaty subject of who gets to control information. Plus, dat plot twist in the last act! (I can give even more reasons why I prefer 2 over 3 if prodded)

I prefer first person shooters' single player modes over mutiplayer. I have zero desire to square off against people online who are a thousand times better than me but playing through the campaigns is usually enjoyable.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I feel like Sega made the wrong decision to scrap Sonic X-treme, given that it could've been the video game that salvaged the Sega Saturn.

Pooky

I feel like Sega made the wrong decision to scrap Sonic X-treme, given that it could've been the video game that salvaged the Sega Saturn.

I don't think many people would deny that a Sonic game, any Sonic game that wasn't a re-release, compilation or a weird racing game*, would have added at least a couple of million units to the Saturn's sales. The question is whether it would have been any good. I've never played any of the prototypes, but it looks pretty garish and unappealing with the fish-eye lens visual style. I think it would have been compared unfavourably to Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot, and fairly or not that would have been the yardstick it would have been compared to (especially Mario 64).

That said I would rather live in a world where it came out than one (this one) where it didn't. Space Queens is one of my favourite Sonic tracks, so at least we got something good out of it.

*On that note, I do like Sonic R for all its quirks/flaws, I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion any more, seems like a lot of people have come round to it.

I don't think the Atari 2600 port of Pac-Man is THAT bad. It's basically playable, and no worse than any other arcade port on that system.

I agree, there isn't much reason to play it (besides historical curiosity) in 2022, but I think I would have enjoyed it if I'd had it as a kid; I liked the Intellivision versions of Popeye and Donkey Kong and they're around the same quality (arguably a bit worse in the case of DK).

I hate to say stuff like this but I think you probably had to be there to understand why Pac-Man and E.T. were so much worse than the average 2600 game. I think a lot of nostalgia for the 2600 is rooted in memories and/or impressions of the system being conflated with those of the games that were in arcades at the time.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I don't think the Atari 2600 port of Pac-Man is THAT bad. It's basically playable, and no worse than any other arcade port on that system.
It’s not unplayable, but it doesn’t feel right, & it is worse than the Ms Pacman port.

Classic Speedy

Hmm
Staff member
Reporter
*On that note, I do like Sonic R for all its quirks/flaws, I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion any more, seems like a lot of people have come round to it.
Sorry Pooky, I still don't like Sonic R. It controls badly (a death knell for racing games, which require tight controls) and I'm not a fan of the dance music. Also there just isn't much to the game, with only a handful of tracks. While the foot race concept is sorta unique, I thought it was done much better in Running Wild (and frankly, though I have nostalgia for it, that game isn't that great either).

The more traditional Sonic racing games (All-Stars Racing and Transformed) are soooo much better.

EDIT: Got another one: The Jak & Daxter series was better before it became darker and edgier in the second game. Also, I prefer a collect-a-thon over mission based objectives.

Last edited:

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Sorry Pooky, I still don't like Sonic R. It controls badly (a death knell for racing games, which require tight controls) and I'm not a fan of the dance music. Also there just isn't much to the game, with only a handful of tracks. While the foot race concept is sorta unique,

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I played it recently, and the characters control worse than big trucks do in other games.

It was the first Sonic game I ever played, so there's a bit of nostalgia, but that's it.

Pooky

Sorry Pooky, I still don't like Sonic R. It controls badly (a death knell for racing games, which require tight controls) and I'm not a fan of the dance music. Also there just isn't much to the game, with only a handful of tracks. While the foot race concept is sorta unique, I thought it was done much better in Running Wild (and frankly, though I have nostalgia for it, that game isn't that great either).

The more traditional Sonic racing games (All-Stars Racing and Transformed) are soooo much better.

No need to apologise, I wouldn't disagree with any of that (well, I guess I do like the music, and actually it's about a year older than Running Wild), it's "objectively" quite a weak game, I just find that it has a certain charm which grew on me after a while. It's kind of therapeutic.

It’s not unplayable, but it doesn’t feel right, & it is worse than the Ms Pacman port.

In fairness, it came out a year or so after the Pac-Man port, and it seems like the response to Pac-Man was a bit factor in the development and marketing of the game. These adverts for the Atari Ms. Pac-Man feel like a coded apology tour; note how they emphasise that it's "just like in the arcade" and how Ms. will bring us "a style of entertainment Pac-Man never knew".

Last edited:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh hey today is my 8th anniversary here, I regret sometimes not making my account sooner, since I knew about this place as early as 2012. Anyhow time sure flies.
Posting less going well. No warnings for anything so I think the board agrees. Still present for everything and DO read what you guys say. But if I see something I don't like I keep my damn mouth shut. It's for the best.
20 Years ago today, Discovery Kids on NBC launched , it was my first introduction to Discovery Kids. I didn't have digital cable so I didn't have the channel. I liked Trading Spaces: Boys vs Girls. Tutenstien, Kenny the Shark, Time Warp Trio, Darcy's Wild Life.
Reading about Shea Fontana and watching this video with Ann Austen makes me want to see them collaborate on a project someday.

Ok... I got Sky Evo..

Also thats also means....

Featured Posts