Underrated DCAU Creators

Latest News & Videos

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Sep 8, 2004
Canada
Hi there.

A little while ago I started to notice that whenever anyone refers to the DC animated universe it’s generally referred to as the Timm/Dini universe, rightfully so since Bruce Timm the director/producer, and Paul Dini the writer/producer are two of the guys responsible for making the DCAU as great as it is. But it wasn’t until I was listening to the commentary tracks on the Batman DVD volume releases that I realized what an important role Eric Radomski played in crafting Batman the animated series, and how he often doesn’t get his due since Bruce Timm stuck around to work on the other series.

I had a similar realization when I watched the Justice League Unlimited episode “The Cat and the Canary”, written by Robert Goodman, a writer who I never paid much attention to before, but who wrote a heck of a lot of great scripts for every DCAU show except for the original Batman TAS.

That’s why I’m nominating Eric Radomski and Robert Goodman as my two favorite underrated DCAU creators, and asking any other fans out there to chime in with their picks.

Have a good day.
John Cage
(Mystery Man)

ryeck

CSUF Titan
Apr 17, 2002
Titans Tower
Visit site
Glen Murakami and David Slack of Teen Titans are very underrated in my book, especially on this board. People fawn all over Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, but Murakami and Slack have made Teen Titans such a terrific show with their unique vision and the boldness to step away from the standard Timm-styled show and make something very different, yet entertaining. I would also mention Michael Reaves, Alan Burnett, and Rich Fogel as underrated. But don't even get me started on Paul Dini :evil: :p

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
May 14, 2002
Ontario
www.bite.ca
This is the reason I try to always use the term "creative team" or "JLU staff" instead of simply saying "Bruce Timm's show", because its not just his show, and it feels downright rude and disrespectful at times to think of it as such.

Radomski is definitely underrated, since he pretty much left before the internet was around to let us comment on episodes like we do now. Goodman is also a huge asset to the DCAU universe, and has written many excellent episodes. Also toss in Kevin Alteri who was probably the "Joaquim Dos Santos" of the BTAS era.

However, there's a few of the "old-timers" whose work I don't particularly like, or that I don't really find distinctive. They've been around supporting the DCAU for years now so it's hard to criticize them outright, but they're also not what I'd call underrated, either.

JWangSDC

Jan 23, 2005
hey alba...ur avatar is the question from Fearful symettry...my question is, is that his real face?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Robert Goodman and Dwayne McDuffie. The Zeta Project and Static Shock are both very underrated shows.

As long as I'm giving props to Static I also appreciate what Christopher Simmons, Denys Cowan, and James Tucker bring to the table. Tucker also does a lot of kick-ass designs for JL.

And of course Glen Murikami and Curt Geda are also great.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Feb 11, 2002
ON THE LAM
www.angelfire.com
Alan Burnett is known, but I don't think he gets as much praise as he deserves - not only as a producer, but a great writer. I can't think of a Burnett script I HAVEN'T liked.

Michael Reaves is another one; he was excellent on BTAS, but hasn't been back since, hence why he's more or less forgotten.

Others that I like a great deal are Randy Rogel (writer) and Boyd Kirkland (director).

-Tim

Zero-V

Apr 12, 2005
David Wise, largly known for writing Transformers' second seasons' better episodes like "War Dawn", and the story editor behind most of the original Ninja Turtles cartoon.

He wrote "The Clock King", "Time Out Of Joint", and "If You're So Smart, Why Are'nt You Rich", the latter of which introduced The Riddler quite well

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Nov 22, 2003
My Own Nonsensical World
Hilary J Bader, writer of such episodes as Batman Beyond's "Touch of Curare" and Superman's "In Brightest Day".

Michael Reaves is the man because of his Gargoyles work, ditto for Boyd Kirkland and X-Men Evolution.

Krypton_Knight

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Jean MacCurdy.

Network execs get a lot of heat for messing things up, but she put together one heckuva network schedule in her day. The series would not have been the same without her.

Also, Alan Burnett, Michael Reaves, and Joe Lonsdale, and that's just the writers. At least we know their names - Lord knows how many animators at TMS and other companies did incredible work without any acknowledgement.

KK

Batman Fan

Batarang Attack
Jan 21, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Eric Radomski is my favorite, he did a great job on the backgrounds in BTAS, they looked fantastic, and the title cards he did for each episode were really cool and really portrayed what was to come from the episode.

Also, Kevin Alteri directed some great episodes from BTAS.

Tim Drake

Apr 30, 2001
Hilary J Bader I really feel like her episodes were a breath of fresh air as they often had a lighted more fun tone. And I really liked what she did with Mr. Freeze for TNBA and BB.

Harley_Quinn

Honey, get mommy’s bazooka
May 13, 2004
DALLAS
ryeck said:
Glen Murakami and David Slack of Teen Titans are very underrated in my book, especially on this board. People fawn all over Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, but Murakami and Slack have made Teen Titans such a terrific show with their unique vision and the boldness to step away from the standard Timm-styled show and make something very different, yet entertaining. I would also mention Michael Reaves, Alan Burnett, and Rich Fogel as underrated. But don't even get me started on Paul Dini :evil: :p
I totally agree with you, Teen Titans could have been a real mess in the wrong hands but I think Murakami and Slack have done an excellent job in creating something different from the Timmverse but just as enjoyable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long