What comic books did you read this week?

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
9/13/23:

New Releases (physical editions):

1694614585827.png
1694614801300.png

"Daredevil #1" and "Batman and Robin #1"

New "backlog" added to digital platforms (aka "Marvel Unlimited" and "DC Universe Infinite"):

1694616952827.png
1694616940232.png

"Tales of the Teen Titans #83" (1987) and "Wolverine #84" (1994)
(click on links to view full comics with your DC Infinite or Marvel Unlimited subscription)
So what have you read this week?!?

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
As a reminder, new comics are released on Wednesdays ("print" copies to your local comic store, or "digital" copies to places like Comixology).

For "Marvel Unlimited" subscription, you get the "new comics" 3 months after they're released in print.

For "DC Infinite" subscription, you get the "new comics" 6 months after they're released in print (or if you pay for the "Ultra" tier, you get them 1 month after they're printed).

Also, both Subscription services tend to add older comics (from years or decades past) fairly consistently every single week.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Read the rest of The Spirit Returns which I checked out from the library. Only read occasional other trades and not for a while either, but picked up on the story pretty well.

Took a picture of my pick up and a Bingo win from last week and this week:
20230914_131341.jpg

A couple of pics I took respectively from My Little Pony Legends of Magic #6 and 9 respectively incidentally:
20230910_135500.jpg

More easy to see on the bottom right, but the Pony versions of Akko Kagari and Sucy Manbavaran from Little Witch Academia.

20230910_135114.jpg

Name allusions to The Flashes (Jay Garrick, Barry Allen and Wally West).

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
9/20/23:

1695228246740.png
1695228253422.png

Captain America #1 and Wonder Woman #1

New "backlog" added to digital platforms (aka "Marvel Unlimited" and "DC Universe Infinite"):

1695228220914.png
1695228229425.png

Sensational She-Hulk #25 (1991) and "Flash #224" (1973)
(click on links to view full comics with your DC Infinite or Marvel Unlimited subscription)

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
This past week, I read Superman #6, Wonder Woman #1, and Gargoyles: Dark Ages #3. I also got the trade paperback for Batman: The Audio Adventures.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Oh and another two pics. From My Little Pony Friendship Forever #4:
20230922_144025.jpg

20230922_144106.jpg

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
9/27/23:

1695831826318.png
1695831843662.png

Invincible Iron Man #10 and The Flash #1

1695831863064.png
1695831878752.png

Captain America: The Medusa Effect (1994) and "The Warlord" #17 (1978)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The full cover for Iron Man #10 shows Tony Stark is marrying Emma Frost. Emma freaking Frost.

I don't read current Marvel Comics presently, so I'm not sure if that's a stunt or an official "change" to the character. Here's an interview with the series' writer, Gerry Duggan.

Meanwhile, the "Dawn of DC" reboot to the DC line of books continues with "The Flash #1"

In the backlog, I've got "Captain America: The Medusa Effect" which I think is an early example of a "one-shot" comic (which became much more prevalent in the 2000's) and "The Warlord #17" (DC's attempt in the late 70's at doing a "Conan the Barbarian" type comic, in response to Marvel's Conan line of comics).

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Recently, I have read the Marv Wolfman run of Teen Titans and the Chris Claremont run of X-Men.

How long did it take you to get through reading those? I've been wanting to eventually read the entire Marv Wolfman run on Teen Titans (I tend to focus on Marvel though...)

My pull list is mostly DC now
The Flash #1
Green Arrow #4

I've been debating getting back into modern comics (both Marvel and DC). DC's making it easy with all of the new "Dawn of DC" first issues (restarting many of their titles), but Marvel is not restarting in such an organized manner. Yeah, they relaunch series, but I don't see a clear line-wide "Dawn of DC" structure. I'd like to figure out an entry point back in to modern Marvel...

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I've been debating getting back into modern comics (both Marvel and DC). DC's making it easy with all of the new "Dawn of DC" first issues (restarting many of their titles), but Marvel is not restarting in such an organized manner. Yeah, they relaunch series, but I don't see a clear line-wide "Dawn of DC" structure. I'd like to figure out an entry point back in to modern Marvel.
Yep, only Marvel Books on my list is She Hulk which is restarting with number 1 and Scarlet Witch I was reading Captain Marvel but dropped it when Kelly Thompson left.

Although between Green Arrow and Justice Society, I'm starting to get sick of all these retcon storylines to make up for the awful decisions made during the New 52.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/04/23:

1696434334475.png
1696434345338.png

G.O.D.S. #1 and Batman #138

1696434364587.png
1696434377545.png

X-Factor #50 (1990) and Superman#127 (1959)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Yep, only Marvel Books on my list is She Hulk which is restarting with number 1 and Scarlet Witch I was reading Captain Marvel but dropped it when Kelly Thompson left.

Although between Green Arrow and Justice Society, I'm starting to get sick of all these retcon storylines to make up for the awful decisions made during the New 52.
This week's list for me is Batman Beyond: Neo-Gothic #3, Green Arrow #4, Spirit World #5, Unstoppable Doom Patrol #6, and Immortal Thor #2.

So you guys are still buying physical comics? If I do get back into new comics, it will be through the Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite apps (I have subscriptions to both). So if I read "new" material, it will be 3 months old (on Marvel's app) or 6 months old (on DC's app), from when it's released physically.

For Marvel, the last physical comics I bought was the "Siege" crossover event in 2010 (which ended the "Dark Reign" storyline) and the "One Moment in Time" storyline in Amazing Spider-Man (the end of Spider-Man and MJ's relationship, and the inspiration for some of the key elements of the "Spider-Man: No Way Home" movie). At the time, those seemed like good moments in the comics to stop reading.

For DC, the last material I bought was the "Trinity" weekly comic, which ended in 2009.

I've been currently reading older material on the Marvel and DC apps, trying to pick up where I left off reading physical comics (around 2009/2010) on the app. I'm reading "Flash: Rebirth" from 2009 (and am thinking of just skipping ahead to "Flashpoint" and "The New 52"). I just finished reading "X-Men: Second Coming" and I re-read "Siege". So now I'm reading to enter "The Heroic Age" line of Marvel Comics.....unless I just skip ahead to modern comics.

EDIT: Well, to clarify, I have bought the occasional physical comic since 2011 onward. I was more referring to buying a line wide slew of "new release" comics (no "weekly trips to the comic book store" since 2010).

Antiyonder

Staff member
Yep, I still buy physical comics myself. Especially cause a lot of my purchases are the lesser discussed titles and I'm not sure trade purchasing alone is enough to guarantee such titles continuation.

Especially Gargoyles.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Besides the recent pick up, been rereading both The Shrinking Man novel and it's IDW comic adaptation.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
New Comics Day
Shazam! #4
Guardians of the Galaxy #7
World's Finest: Teen Titans #4
Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow #6
Captain Marvel: Assault on Eden #1

As you can see I'll read anything with Wiccan or Hulkling or even Young Avengers Adjacent.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts