Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Title says it all.

For Ren and Stimpy, I actually think a lot of Games episodes hold up better than a lot of the Spumco ones. Spumco episodes that aren't considered bonafide classics tend to be lethargic in their pacing, and that's something that improved when Games took over the show. Even bad Games episodes like Jerry The Bellybutton Elf and Stupid Sidekick Union are more fun to watch than episodes like The Littlest Giant or Marooned or Out West because the jokes come at a faster clip.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Also, for a REALLY controversial opinion. Billy West becomes the better Ren once he makes the role his own (towards the middle-end of Season 3). John K. does the best psychotic episodes in episodes like Sven Hoek and Space Madness, but I can't think of a more mundane Spumco episode that would have been worse with Billy West's mature Ren voice.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I don’t understand why everyone and their dog declares Into the Spiderverse as one of the greatest animated masterpieces of all time. It certainly not a bad movie, and the animation was unique to say the least, but nothing about blew my mind. Maybe it’s because I’m not into superheroes.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don’t understand why everyone and their dog declares Into the Spiderverse as one of the greatest animated masterpieces of all time. It certainly not a bad movie, and the animation was unique to say the least, but nothing about blew my mind. Maybe it’s because I’m not into superheroes.
We don't get a ton of animated superhero movies and outside of Mask Of The Phantasm we've never had a good one (in theaters) before that one. So yeah, people probably talk it up more than it deserves. They were starved for it.

Big Hero 6 might also count as a superhero cartoon movie but that was a fringe comic book title. We never get great animated Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man movies.

I've got one: Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures sucked. Animaniacs had some redeeming virtues (nods at Pinky And The Brain) but Tiny Toons was simply terrible.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
We don't get a ton of animated superhero movies and outside of Mask Of The Phantasm we've never had a good one (in theaters) before that one. So yeah, people probably talk it up more than it deserves. They were starved for it.

Big Hero 6 might also count as a superhero cartoon movie but that was a fringe comic book title. We never get great animated Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man movies.
Oh my glob, yes, this totally makes sense. There are so few good animated superhero movies. It's unbelievable.

I've got one: Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures sucked. Animaniacs had some redeeming virtues (nods at Pinky And The Brain) but Tiny Toons was simply terrible.
Also completely agreed. The "every nations in the world" song is probably the best (IMO probably only entertaining) Animaniacs clip.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Another unpopular opinion:

The Spectacular Spider-Man is a bad show. I know Young Justice is polarizing, but part of the fun there is that I love it one week and hate it the next. SSM is just terribly written with completely unlikable characters and unpleasant situations. After it was over I felt as if I had just completely wasted my time.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I'll repeat these to death if I have to, as a cartoon fan in general:

1) The Loud House is mediocrity incarnate for Nicktoons in general and all of the following are far superior shows (AND FORGET THE HATERS.) that needed to last so much longer / didn't deserve to be so mistreated like they have:
* Harvey Beaks
* Welcome to The Wayne
* Glitch Techs
* It’s Pony!

2) Star Vs TFOE is Disney TV's 3rd worst show from recent memory of all time for me - all style, no substance and no idea of what it's doing after awhile.
All of the following were better and some of these should have lasted longer:
* Randy Cunningham 9GN
* Penn Zero PTH
* Pickle and Peanut (Forget you, I find it actually funny, despite how ugly and stupid it can be; it's how it embraces both that makes it work.)
* Future - Worm! (Rick and Morty, except better, even if it's pretty ugly looking (R&M is uglier in every sense, though.).)
* Right Now Kapow!
* Tangled TAS

All of the following are better and deserve to last longer:
* Amphibia
* Big City Greens (Cricket is a terrible character, though. Gloria's pretty lame, too.)
* The Owl House (The storytelling here has problems, though.)
* Ducktales 2017
* Big Hero 6 TAS (I wouldn't mind a third season of this, honestly...)

As for their absolute (first) worst - that's The Buzz on Maggie, with The Proud Family & American Dragon: Jake Long being in a tie for 3rd worst.

2x) Amphibia is not the best looking show out there, but it so far has better story telling than The Owl House. Shame, because The Owl House is better looking than Amphibia. I still like BOTH far more than stupid-as-heck Star Vs., though.

3) Steven Universe is, for me, the second worst CN series with actual effort put into it of all time from recent memory. CN's worst series with actual effort put into it will always be My Gym Partner's a Monkey, however - no disputing that.
Anything else from CN that sucks (such as nuPPG or Victor and Valentino) simply does, as there is no true effort put into them, honestly.

Last edited:

Zanneck

(Excuse me for double - posting), but it's like I said: As a cartoon fan, I'll repeat these to death if I have to:

4) Butch Hartman is a hack and not one single show from him was any good (they looked decent, but that's about it.) - not even Danny Phantom / TUFF Puppy (both which had potential that would have actually been fleshed out had they been in the hands of different creators, that is.).

5) Astro Boy (2003), a Tetsuwan Atom series made specifically for kids >>>>>>>> My Life as a Teenage Robot, especially when it comes to actual storytelling, worldbuilding, and long - term conflict, as well as bringing a somewhat realistic (albeit overly optimistic/ naive as heck) conclusion to itself.

The only things MLAATR had going for it was the nice little family dynamic between Brad and Tuck for me. I didn't like the main characters (Jenny, Nora) all that much, no matter how much the show tried to develop them, too.

6) Gravity Falls was only at its best in S2, where they dropped the Dipper × Wendy crap and went back to what the show was really supposed to be about (AND FORGET THE HATERS.). It needed to last more than 2 seasons to really distance itself from its mediocre 1st season, however.

7) Wander Over Yonder only really worked as well as it did because of Hater and Peepers. Wander was a little too annoying for his own good and Sylvia alone couldn't carry this show, herself, sadly.

I still like all those characters far more than the villain sue that is Dominator. I HATE DOMINATOR and she deserved far worse if two seasons was all this show was going to get, honestly. Seriously, forget this villain sue - it sucks how people only remember this show for her, too, which is worse.

Even if WOY had 3 to 4 seasons (MAX) to its name, if I had my way, Dominator would have been in much less episodes and then killed off after awhile, if only to make Hater and Peepers more dangerous in a sense, for an example of doing something actually right.

8) Craig of the Creek, OK K.O., and Mao Mao: HPH (which better get more than one measly season, dangit!!!) are all better shows that have come (and in OK K.O.'s case, sadly gone and it still stings to this day!) after SU and are far better than that crap, too.
- Infinity Train feels kinda rushed and therefore below average, sadly, no matter how much people love to fawn over it, especially S2.

CN's best and most memorable works after the Cartoon Cartoon era, at least to me, will always be Over the Garden Wall, Adventure Time and Regular Show, however.
Definite honorable mentions to Clarence, Gumball before S6 ruined it (still waiting on a proper ending BTW!), Unikitty!, and We Bare Bears.
- Uncle Grandpa had potential to be a true classic, but kinda fizzled out after awhile, despite how dang funny it happened to be so early on.

Last edited:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
When Batman: The Brave and the Bold came out, I totally got right away they were doing homages to Silver Age DC comic books, and I didn't really need that scene where Bat-Mite broke the fourth wall to tell fans still fits Batman's character, but I understand why they did it anyways.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
As for their absolute (first) worst - that's The Buzz on Maggie, with The Proud Family & American Dragon: Jake Long being in a tie for 3rd worst.
Now this is a mighty bold claim. Neither show are exactly perfect, but IMO there are far, far worse series from Disney than either. Why do you rank these two so low?

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was the best of the "make younger versions of established characters" series trend in the 1980s/90s, because it at least did something unique, and mocked/parodied the typical Scooby-Doo formula.

It would've been easy to just write typical Scooby-Doo stories with the gang as pre-teens (and without the Mystery Machine/traveling aspect that brings), but they at least put some work into the show, and did something that set it apart from other such shows in the genre, as well as other Scooby-Doo series as well.

Zanneck

Now this is a mighty bold claim. Neither show are exactly perfect, but IMO there are far, far worse series from Disney than either. Why do you rank these two so low?

Which series do you think are worse than those? I'm willing to listen to you. Mostly because while those examples I listed failed to entertain me personally, I admit I'm overlooking much worse shows... Such as Kick Buttowski and Billey Dilley's Super Duper Subterranean Summer, which more than deserve to replace what I said in the first place, now that I'm allowed to think about things more clearly.

I still want to hear what shows from Disney TV you consider worse, though. Really sell me on why they fail.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Leviathan said:
For Ren and Stimpy, I actually think a lot of Games episodes hold up better than a lot of the Spumco ones. Spumco episodes that aren't considered bonafide classics tend to be lethargic in their pacing, and that's something that improved when Games took over the show. Even bad Games episodes like Jerry The Bellybutton Elf and Stupid Sidekick Union are more fun to watch than episodes like The Littlest Giant or Marooned or Out West because the jokes come at a faster clip.
To be fair, there are some Spumco episodes that are paced just fine- Fire Dogs, In the Army, Black Hole, Mad Dog Hoek- hey, wait a sec, three of those four were directed by Bob Camp, who was in charge at Games. Hmmmmm....
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was the best of the "make younger versions of established characters" series trend in the 1980s/90s, because it at least did something unique, and mocked/parodied the typical Scooby-Doo formula.

It would've been easy to just write typical Scooby-Doo stories with the gang as pre-teens (and without the Mystery Machine/traveling aspect that brings), but they at least put some work into the show, and did something that set it apart from other such shows in the genre, as well as other Scooby-Doo series as well.
Agreed, and it's a shame those designs for the characters haven't been used in the various reboots/sequel series, which always do variants of the original 1969 designs. In terms of reboots/revivals, it was a way better show than, say, Yo Yogi!.

Last edited:

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
I consider Coconut Fred to be one of my favorite shows from Kids WB!. Yeah, it isn't the most original show, but its got an amusing charm to it.

Also, I actually like the theme song a lot (like a 8.5 out of 10 on a scale).

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I don't care much for Craig of the Creek. No offense to anyone on this board who does. I've seen clips from episodes and watched commercials on TV and nothing about it entices me to sit down and get into it. My mom recently saw the ad for new episodes when we were watching Cartoon Network and agreed that it looked very mundane. I get the sense that it's more of a relaxing, slice of life show, which is not my favorite genre by any means. This is why I also don't care for Summer Camp Island and, sadly, Victor and Valentino. While We Bare Bears is considered more slice of life, season one was funny enough to draw me in (can't say the same for a whole lot of episodes post-season one). I don't think Craig of the Creek is a terrible show per se, but it isn't one I'd go out of my way to watch.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't care much for Craig of the Creek. No offense to anyone on this board who does. I've seen clips from episodes and watched commercials on TV and nothing about it entices me to sit down and get into it. My mom recently saw the ad for new episodes when we were watching Cartoon Network and agreed that it looked very mundane. I get the sense that it's more of a relaxing, slice of life show, which is not my favorite genre by any means. This is why I also don't care for Summer Camp Island and, sadly, Victor and Valentino. While We Bare Bears is considered more slice of life, season one was funny enough to draw me in (can't say the same for a whole lot of episodes post-season one). I don't think Craig of the Creek is a terrible show per se, but it isn't one I'd go out of my way to watch.

I've watched most episodes for Craig of the Creek and I think it's really charming. It's such a fun idealized version of childhood, most of the characters are fun/likable and I like what we see of Craig's family, especially his parents. That being said, if you don't like slice of live kind of shows, then this show probably won't do much for you, so I can totally understand why this show doesn't appeal to you.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts