Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

user313856

Hey, this is a thread for unpopular and unconventional opinions, I’m not saying people have to agree, I’m just saying I personally think the show wasn’t as good as people have hyped it up to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's ok to not like something as much as others, I only take issue with when you wrote "I can’t help but feel like it’s on the list because anime fans are obligated to put it on there, not because it’s actually better than the competition". I always feel like such assumptions about other people are a bit arrogant.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Kids Next Door is one of those shows that I wanted to like as a kid, but I just couldn't get into it due to how annoying it is for me.
I feel like I was a little too old for KND when it came out, but like you and Goldstar Neo, I didn't like how seriously the show took its concept. I actually much preferred the pilot short, which had a wackier tone and made Numbah One a little more bumbling. I would have liked to have seen more of that.

user313856

I've seen some opinions saying that Deputy Droopy (1955) is just a far inferior and palid remake of Rock-A-Bye Bear (1952). I can't understand this. Both are truly amazing Tex Avery cartoons! Deputy Droopy recycles its premise from Rock-A-Bye Bear, sure, but most of the gags are entirely new, and at least as creative and hilarious as the ones from Rock-A-Bye Bear, if not even more creative! Masterpieces.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
In honor of the upcoming X-Men '97:

I get tired of everyone saying that Jubilee's mutant power is useless. Whenever someone makes a Worst Mutant/Worst Mutant Powers list, Jubilee's name always turns up, and I strongly disagree. Jubilee's power is projecting pyrotechnic energy bursts of light and concussion; that has tremendous offensive potential: she could easily temporarily blind and opponent or blast a tree or a car or the side of a house with that ability. It's not that Jubilee's power is useless, it's that the writers never allow her to anything dynamic or interesting with her power.

Same deal with Zan of the Wonder Twins; despite what popular media and stand-up comics would have you believe, Zan's power is not lame, the writers just haven't been creative enough to allow him to shine with them.

Sam the Cartoonist

Two Animaniacs ones:
1) I find Mindy and Buttons fairly funny and quite endearing
2) Goodfeathers aren't too bad either, I suspect they may have become infamous largely because they made up about a third of the (brief) second season (including back to back shorts comprising an entire episode), a run with no Pinky and the Brain shorts and much less Warners than you would expect.
Speaking of unpopular Animaniacs opinions, one I'll add is that I enjoy the Hip Hippos segments which I think are funny caricatures of the yuppie hedonists types. I also like the Goodfeathers thought they didn't deserve back-to-back shorts taking up an entire episode.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I've seen some opinions saying that Deputy Droopy (1955) is just a far inferior and palid remake of Rock-A-Bye Bear (1952). I can't understand this. Both are truly amazing Tex Avery cartoons! Deputy Droopy recycles its premise from Rock-A-Bye Bear, sure, but most of the gags are entirely new, and at least as creative and hilarious as the ones from Rock-A-Bye Bear, if not even more creative! Masterpieces.
I prefer "Rock-A-Bye Bear", because I quite like the titular bear, but you're right, "Deputy Droopy" has enough unique gags to stand on its own. One of my favorites is when the one bandit pulls the other out to yell "KNOCK IT OFF!!!!", and after they return, the other bandit pull him out to just yell "OKAY!!!". Followed by a useful slap.

harry580

2) Goodfeathers aren't too bad either, I suspect they may have become infamous largely because they made up about a third of the (brief) second season (including back to back shorts comprising an entire episode), a run with no Pinky and the Brain shorts and much less Warners than you would expect.
no wonder why the goodfeathers didn't appeared in the 2020 animaniacs series

dont give me wrong I love goodfeathers as I love bird media but that reason alone could make a point

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I liked Disney's Amphibia more back in season 1 when it was just a goofy comedy with simple, self contained stories. The Lord of the Rings-esque action adventure "take down the big bad guy" turn the series took in season 2, I don't care for in the slightest. Tonally, it's all over the place, and being honest with myself, I just don't like "dramedies" very much or at all, where it's funny one minute and serious the next. I can deal with the occasional serious moment, but the whole series being serious? Pass. I realize that I'm truly showing my age here, but for the most part, I just don't "get" Amphibia or it's appeal.

EDIT: I should mention that there are a couple elements on Amphibia that I do like: I like that the show's lead character is not only a girl, but a brown girl, and I like that Anne's parents are both still alive and happily married. No dead parents! It's Christmas miracle!

Speaking of Disney Animation shows, Big City Greens is a series that I respect more than I actually like. I like that BCG is bold enough to be a full comedy when every other animated show is trying to break barriers and bust genres, BCG says "Just turn your brain off for a few minutes and have fun!". I just wish that the show itself were funnier and that I liked the characters and the stories more than I do. I get that BCG is a kid's show and that it's not made for me, but I've watched other kid's shows and have enjoyed them far more than I enjoy BCG.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I liked Disney's Amphibia more back in season 1 when it was just a goofy comedy with simple, self contained stories. The Lord of the Rings-esque action adventure "take down the big bad guy" turn the series took in season 2, I don't care for in the slightest. Tonally, it's all over the place, and being honest with myself, I just don't like "dramedies" very much or at all, where it's funny one minute and serious the next. I can deal with the occasional serious moment, but the whole series being serious? Pass. I realize that I'm truly showing my age here, but for the most part, I just don't "get" Amphibia or it's appeal.
That's fair. I do love Amphibia myself.

Speaking of Disney Animation shows, Big City Greens is a series that I respect more than I actually like. I like that BCG is bold enough to be a full comedy when every other animated show is trying to break barriers and bust genres, BCG says "Just turn your brain off for a few minutes and have fun!". I just wish that the show itself were funnier and that I liked the characters and the stories more than I do. I get that BCG is a kid's show and that it's not made for me, but I've watched other kid's shows and have enjoyed them far more than I enjoy BCG.
Fair point. I used to love Big City Greens back when it first came out, but not anymore due to lack of interest and how boring the show went on.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'

The success of Gravity Falls has proven to be a double-edged sword in regards to me and Disney: one the one hand, I enjoyed Gravity Falls' characters and comedy and it was cool how Alex Hirsch got to do exactly the kind of show that he wanted to do with little executive meddling, but on the other hand GF's success is also kind of a curse since now we have a bunch of Alex Hirsch wannabes (many of whom previously worked on GF or are personally acquainted with Alex Hirsch himself) coming out the woodworks trying to make their own versions of Gravity Falls, hoping to repeat the former's powerful success, and Disney of course just has dollar signs in their eyes and just keeps greenlighting one GF clone after another. It's a tad annoying for those of use who want something different: I for one would like to see a new show akin to what Disney tried with Mickey Mouse Works (the closest we come to that is The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse on Disney +, which I do like but I kind of want to see something with a 40's rather than 30's aesthetic), but we're not going to get anything like that anytime soon as long as the Mouse House and its' producers are so keen to launch what they hope is the next Gravity Falls.

Regarding Big City Greens, I too like the idea behind BCG more than the show itself; part of the reason I have a hard time getting into that show is because I'm not big on the art style; the Greens themselves look like if someone tried to cross-breed the Simpsons with the Minions and in general the characters on the whole look too much like Muppets (or maybe they're supposed to, who knows?).

Regarding Amphibia: I'm pretty sure the stuff involving Anne, her folks and the Planters on Earth are probably the most boring parts to fans, but those are the only parts of the series that I actually like, personally. I find the simple domestic bits to be cute and fun; I'd kind of like to see a whole show of nothing but that kind of stuff. Similarly, I enjoy a lot of Disney Channel's Chibi Tales would like to see an entire series done in a similar fashion, but some shorts could have dialogue as well.

One final Disney one: I saw the Simpsons Plusiversary short; while there were some amusing moments here and there, the special on the whole reeked of "We bow to our corporate overlords". Also, my least favorite part was the Bart fake-out at the end: I wanted Mickey to actually appear and do something funny. I'm really tired of Disney acting like Mickey Mouse can only be used as a mascot or a logo. He's a freaking character with an actual personality, start doing stuff with Mickey, dangit. Has Disney learned nothing from the Paul Rudish shorts?

Last edited:

Sam the Cartoonist

Anime-opinion coming in.

I really don’t understand the hype around Cowboy Bebop. I watched the show and I honestly found it kinda boring. Like, outside of anything having to do with Spike and Julia, was the show really that good?

Whenever I see a Top 10 anime thing nowadays and Bebop is slapped on there, I can’t help but feel like it’s on the list because anime fans are obligated to put it on there, not because it’s actually better than the competition. And the more years go by, the more ridiculous it feels to keep throwing it on the board. We’re in a time period where Fullmetal Alchemist, Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan were things, it’s not a sin against the Anime Gods if Tank isn’t in the Top 5.

I mostly feel the same way about Cowboy Bebop. Aesthetically, it's a slick production with cool stylized animation and an excellent jazzy soundtrack that I would consider one of the best. However, plot-wise, the episodic formula failed to do much for me because it ends up coming across as a missed opportunity to further explore the setting's lore, something I find more disappointing given the solid cast.

Black Lagoon, on the other hand, was a more consistently exciting action show for me. While the soundtrack was average, I thought the ensemble cast there played off each other better (especially Rock and Revy) and the balance between stand-alone adventures and story arcs felt smoother with neither aspect overshadowing each other much. Meanwhile, the action scenes were more fast-paced and intense for the most part whereas Cowboy Bebop would opt for stylized choreography at the expense of excitement.

SweetShop209

Probably the one good thing with preschool shows not being talked about that much online is that there's no expectation for them to go darker or story driven unlike non-preschool shows. I mean, the primary purpose for preschool shows is to educate kids and/or give positive messages (not that you can't find it in non-preschool shows, but they're basically a requirement in preschool shows), and it just needs to succeed in getting the audience's attention. Preschool shows may have some continuity and things build up, but they're by and large episodic to the core. It's why you can count the number of story driven preschool shows on both hands, being outnumbered by the large number of non-preschool story driven shows.

I didn't enjoy Sofia The First because it became more story driven later on. I enjoyed it because it was entertaining, the characters were likable and developed, the messages were good, and the songs were catchy. Season 4 adding more story driven elements only worked because everything that made the first 3 seasons great was kept in, and pushed into new directions. I mean, compare to when shows like Star Vs The Forces Of Evil and Tangled The Series (both of which also star princesses) became more story driven, certain off elements in the execution for both was met with heavy criticism, unlike with Sofia, where there was less criticism, and was less talked about compared to them.

I remember when some people set their expectations a bit too high with The Ghost And Molly McGee (which, to clarify, is a Disney Channel show) thinking it would go dark at some point. Bill Motz & Bob Roth would later clarify that it's just a light hearted, episodic show that's not afraid to push things every how and then. Like, if this was a Disney Junior show, there'd probably be less expectations even with the creators having over 30 years of experience on well liked shows.

This also carries over to streaming. Whereas non-preschool streaming shows are heavier on story driven elements due to having less restrictions, preschool shows are still basically the same in being episodic with a little continuity. Take for example Ridley Jones. In that show, Ridley's goal is to become a full fledged museum protector alongside her mom and grandmother, where she has to learn to be more mindful and less impulsive. That's the overarching goal of the show, but because it's a preschool show, every episode goes for a beginning, middle, and end with a nice bow to wrap it up. It's in stark contrast to how it's common for non-preschool streaming shows to use cliffhangers and expect you to immediately watch the next episode for a resolution. For example, there's the episode "Compass Eye Of The Storm", where the magic in the museum that brings the exhibits to life goes haywire, destabilizing the rooms in the process. The climax has Ridley throw Pedro the penguin to her friends and family so he can be saved, but she gets trapped inside the Arctic exhibit. If this was a non-preschool show, the episode would definitely end there. Because it is a preschool show, we then get a scene where Ridley's magic passport guides her to another magic compass to help her get out.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I just want to clarify that I'm not against preschool shows being more story driven. I just make sure to know what almost all preschool shows will provide, which is just to be lighthearted and occasionally have continuity and intense moments, while still teaching the audience in some way.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
The success of Gravity Falls has proven to be a double-edged sword in regards to me and Disney: one the one hand, I enjoyed Gravity Falls' characters and comedy and it was cool how Alex Hirsch got to do exactly the kind of show that he wanted to do with little executive meddling, but on the other hand GF's success is also kind of a curse since now we have a bunch of Alex Hirsch wannabes (many of whom previously worked on GF or are personally acquainted with Alex Hirsch himself) coming out the woodworks trying to make their own versions of Gravity Falls, hoping to repeat the former's powerful success, and Disney of course just has dollar signs in their eyes and just keeps greenlighting one GF clone after another. It's a tad annoying for those of use who want something different:
Yeah, that was thing back in the early to mid 2010's where story driven cartoons has become incredibly popular with older audiences than the show's target audience. It did lead to a false perception that "story driven cartoons = good and episodic cartoons = bad". Let me tell ya, I really really really hate that mentality and it's comes off as gatekeeping thinking that's how modern cartoons shows should be: story driven, deep, continuity, emotional, drama, and rich lore to keep them interested. If it was purely episodic with wacky and lighthearted humor, they don't give a crap about it and they would immediately hate it if it's not story driven.

I'm not saying that all story driven cartoons are bad, there are some good ones, but I feel people are over hyping them way too much and they completely missed out on a lot of great episodic cartoons.

I remember when some people set their expectations a bit too high with The Ghost And Molly McGee (which, to clarify, is a Disney Channel show) thinking it would go dark at some point. Bill Motz & Bob Roth would later clarify that it's just a light hearted, episodic show that's not afraid to push things every how and then. Like, if this was a Disney Junior show, there'd probably be less expectations even with the creators having over 30 years of experience on well liked shows.
Why did everyone really expecting Molly McGee to be as dark as Gravity Falls even though it wasn't the case? I hate the whole "10 out of 10, 0 out of 0" mentality so much!

I couldn't get into Molly McGee not because it wasn't story driven, it's because it didn't really appeal to me.
Regarding Amphibia: I'm pretty sure the stuff involving Anne, her folks and the Planters on Earth are probably the most boring parts to fans, but those are the only parts of the series that I actually like, personally. I find the simple domestic bits to be cute and fun; I'd kind of like to see a whole show of nothing but that kind of stuff.
I agree. I know a lot of people didn't care for the Earth episodes of Amphibia Season 3 so far, but I actually don't mind it as long it handles properly. Do I want to see more episodes focusing on Wartwood and Newtopia? Absolutely, but what we got, isn't half bad. Besides, it could've been a lot worse.

Similarly, I enjoy a lot of Disney Channel's Chibi Tales would like to see an entire series done in a similar fashion, but some shorts could have dialogue as well.
Chibi Tiny Tales were pretty fun to watch. It may look weeb-ish for my tastes, but I do enjoy it. I really love the art style. It's so adorable. Whoever design the characters deserves an Annie awards.

I wouldn't mind an long form series, but it's not something that I would watch on a regular basis.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't really like the "lighthearted cartoons = good and serious cartoons = bad " mentiality. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with both since after all not everything needs to be lighthearted and not everything needs to be serious but it's just that this mentiality is on the same level as the "story driven cartoons = good and episodic cartoons = bad" mentiality.

Rhaynebow

I think shipping is fine. I love shipping. I love being introduced to amazing fan artists for some of the weirdest, tiniest ships for cartoons.

Of course, like basically all fandoms, shipping is only ruined by the vocal minority of “fans” who take their ships very seriously and will cause actual strife towards anyone who doesn’t like their ship or the creators of the show when their ship is not canon. But I’d also like to throw in Ship Policing as well, especially those who throw around serious accusations over a cartoon ship. As someone who enjoyed the small, but adorable ship that was Mayor Dewey and Pearl and fully-understood the reality of the ship never happening, it was still kinda painful to see the tumblr thread flooded with accusations of lesbian erasure.

Shipping should be fun and a chance for fans to flex their creative muscles. But thanks to some people taking it too far, a lot of non-shippers like to blame a show’s downfall on the whole concept of shipping. Which just isn’t fair to the vast majority of us just…sharing artwork and what-if scenarios.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
blame Vailskibum94..
I would say that, but I think Mr Enter is worse...

I don't really like the "lighthearted cartoons = good and serious cartoons = bad " mentiality. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with both since after all not everything needs to be lighthearted and not everything needs to be serious but it's just that this mentiality is on the same level as the "story driven cartoons = good and episodic cartoons = bad" mentiality.
Fair point.

I think shipping is fine. I love shipping. I love being introduced to amazing fan artists for some of the weirdest, tiniest ships for cartoons.

Of course, like basically all fandoms, shipping is only ruined by the vocal minority of “fans” who take their ships very seriously and will cause actual strife towards anyone who doesn’t like their ship or the creators of the show when their ship is not canon. But I’d also like to throw in Ship Policing as well, especially those who throw around serious accusations over a cartoon ship. As someone who enjoyed the small, but adorable ship that was Mayor Dewey and Pearl and fully-understood the reality of the ship never happening, it was still kinda painful to see the tumblr thread flooded with accusations of lesbian erasure.

Shipping should be fun and a chance for fans to flex their creative muscles. But thanks to some people taking it too far, a lot of non-shippers like to blame a show’s downfall on the whole concept of shipping. Which just isn’t fair to the vast majority of us just…sharing artwork and what-if scenarios.

I see.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I've personally never experienced this, although I'm sure that it's happened. During my time on the internet forums, it's usually the reverse; the drama fans will look down on comedy and the fans of continuing story arcs will instantly turn their noses up at shows with self contained stories. A typical discussion will go like this:

Question: What are your favorite cartoon series?

Member #1:
I love Steven Universe! It's so deep and relatable.

Member#2: Gravity Falls is the coolest! I love the Bill Cypher arc!

Me: I've always enjoyed Rocko's Modern Life.

Member#1: Rocko's Modern Life? Pfft! That's just comedy!

Me: I also like Animainiacs.

Member#2: Pfft! That's for kids! It's not deep and complex like Teen Titans!

Everyone isn't going to like everything. Different strokes for different folks. I say, just like what you like for whatever reasons you like it, just don't condescend to the people who feel the opposite. A particular genre isn't "bad" just because you don't personally care for it.

Rhaynebow said:

I don't ship characters (except for the characters the show ships), and I stay out of shipper feuds.

kirbygame

you know this is why i refused to watch any youtube videos that has "top 10 dark episodes/moments" in the title. (i'm looking at you, PhantomStrider)

i mean, i have nothing against dark episodes in tv shows but how many times we see these type of videos?!

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Everyone isn't going to like everything. Different strokes for different folks. I say, just like what you like for whatever reasons you like it, just don't condescend to the people who feel the opposite. A particular genre isn't "bad" just because you don't personally care for it.
My thoughts exactly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts